Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Said by a man who never had to experience the Great Depression or life during WWII.

Yep. Not scared to use the credit I've earned with my hard work. You are correct.

Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Yep. Not scared to use the credit I've earned with my hard work. You are correct.
Think of using credit as paying rent to ride someone else's bike, or driving another's car or truck. Then adding a premium to that rent while they hold on to the title. But it's your hard earned money, as you say.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have definitely had my share of crap from the HD group, but usually in fun, and probably more because #1 I am a lady rider, and #2 because I ride a Victory. Since the demise the tone has been completely different. Now they tell me they can't believe we've been axed. I get alot of great comments more than ever now. I personally don't care what you ride. YOU RIDE. But some harmless poking at each other is just part of the experience. Everyone thinks their bike is the best, and if you don't, you need to change your ride. I'm pretty sure someone will disagree with me on this site. This is my 3rd Victory, and the 5th in the stable, and mine is the best. Lol

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Think of using credit as paying rent to ride someone else's bike, or driving another's car or truck. Then adding a premium to that rent while they hold on to the title. But it's your hard earned money, as you say.

Or, you could look at it as what it is. You are paying for something, and As you pay the item down, it also loses value...at least to a point. Once you are done paying for it, it still holds SOME value. So you are ending up, just where you started. AND you got what you wanted, now.

Or, from another point of view: If I want something, I buy it. I'm not going to deny myself something I would enjoy and that would increase my quality of life because I don't have cash sitting in a bank or mattress rotting. I work too hard to not have what I want. Why make money if you can't enjoy it?

I will NOT take cash to the grave. That would be such a waste of a life.

Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
You won't take cash to the grave, that's for sure, but what will you take to your retirement. Having to buy a luxury item NOW is good and well if you are a high earner and/or have a huge cash reserve and have a fantastic retirement plan set aside. Since you like stats, the stats on how few have anything saved for retirement are shocking. But they bought what they wanted NOW. I'd rather pinch pennies while I'm working and have a quality retirement when I quit working. But that's just MY opinion.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
You won't take cash to the grave, that's for sure, but what will you take to your retirement. Having to buy a luxury item NOW is good and well if you are a high earner and/or have a huge cash reserve and have a fantastic retirement plan set aside. Since you like stats, the stats on how few have anything saved for retirement are shocking. But they bought what they wanted NOW. I'd rather pinch pennies while I'm working and have a quality retirement when I quit working. But that's just MY opinion.

The only stats I care about are the ones that include me.

To your quote " I'd rather pinch pennies while I'm working and have a quality retirement when I quit working."

I'd rather enjoy myself now, because you NEVER know when you will die. I'm not going to be that guy that retires, then on his deathbed two days later, wonders about all the fun "he could have had".

My retirement is already paid and funded. I put that money up early and invested it wisely...to the point where we pulled it all out. Being childfree, everything we make now, is just for bills and fun.

I don't give a damn about retired me. He is paid for, if and when I make it there.

Never been to a funeral where they said "He sure was good at pinching pennies."

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
You are one of the wise few Theja1. Its good that you have done what you did to assure a good retirement and to your surprise, you may find yourself living to a three digit life.

·
Premium Member
8,938 Posts
I get (and give) good natured ribbing to the HD guys where I ride.. every now and then you get a knucklehead that owning anything but HD is 'unamerican' or something.. but generally those guys are wannabe's and some don't even HAVE a bike. I've found that in a lot of cases just asking to 'see what they're riding' will quiet down the noise since they either don't have it, it ain't running or they're still saving up to buy their uncle-brothers girlfriends hair-dresser's 'sweet' sportster that's still in a crate in the basement or some such.

As for getting a hopped up M8.. why not just take the sweet pin and put a couple grand in it and make it BE a 140+ HP monster? Seems you already like the bike.. why not just save a payment and hop up what you got? :)
now that makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
you may find yourself living to a three digit life.

I hope not....

·
Registered
755 Posts
I've been getting comments lately about Polaris killing off Victory and have come up with this reply:

They had to kill off Victory, it was so good it was losing money for Polaris. It didn't break, so the shops were empty and they were so dependable no one needed to buy a new one.
lol so true. If I hadn't crashed my first 03 vegas I would've been still riding it, and my new to me 03 Vegas is all the bike I need. Granted it only has 3k miles on it but that thing will last me life time. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The other riders around here don't seem to talkative on the whole. Lacy and I will smile or say "hi" and she'll make a comment encouraging conversation, and it's rarely taken up. I don't talk to other people much at all, but I can't see everyone being as unsociable as me.

It's correlative they're Harley riders as that is the most common bike you'll see.

However, when he hit Hell's Canyon a couple weeks ago one lady in a group of Harleys on their way back from a HOG rally did say Lacy was a badass for wearing all her gear in the 90 degree plus heat. After she walked away lacy just shook her head and said she was just happy not to look like a roasted beet in a Harley Davidson t-shirt lol

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
I'll ride with anyone that has a smile on his face, no matter what brand... I do carry tools coz there are a lot of HD here....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was on my Vic and a buddy on a Fat Boy the other day when a guy on a new Indian Road Master just jumped in with us rolling down the highway. Guy rode with us like 60 miles. Was ok with us. We will ride with anyone who isn't stupid and this guy was cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 33 of 33 Posts