Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3rd time at the Vic dealer today looking at the cross roads. I tested a Cross country for the second time and really liked it. They do not have a cross roads DEMO) While sitting on the XR, I noticed the speedo canted, so I reach up to straighten it and noticed it to be plastic. There seems to be a lot of plastic chrome parts which I am not sure about.

Then I tested the lights and saw a passing lamp out. The salesman touched it and it came one and he said they'll have to check it out. Having read some electrical issues here especially when wet which I ride plenty in the rain I pulled back and held off on the deal.

We had the figures and calls all done and I got nerved up as this would be a good chunk of change for me. The plastic I wasn't keene on, though some parts you cannot tell unless touched. The big one was the immediate elctrical issue and what I have read here. I have been back and forth for 3-4 weeks now, but I don't want to take it back and forth to the dealer and definatly don't want issues on the road wether riding in rain or not.

I have to say, I don't know what to do now.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
plastic or pounds!

today's plastics are quite good + their use can save several lbs with adding big $$$. Vics feel even lighter than they are by design. traded an 06 harley on my 13 hammer only regret should have done it sooner. a lot less problems + cheaper to maintain. simple oil changes as well. watch the arizona victory U-tubes for some excellent insight on these great motorcycles

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Where are you located and what dealer did you go to? Strange they'd have a bike on their floor with a light out/loose connection or whatever it is. I've had my CCT for just over a year and have ridden in plenty of frog strangling rain. No issue, the CCT just keeps going strong.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I'd check online to see if there is a factory demo ride in your area.
I don't know if it was a limited time offer but taking the demo ride in Phoenix this spring saved my wife and I $1000 each. Then being Vet's saved us another $1000.

Check into it. I talked with one of the Demo guys and he said they are constantly all over the country. I think they have 3 trucks with at least a dozen bikes on each one.
Might be worth your while to drive or fly somewhere to take the factory demo ride. I'm pretty sure the coupon we received was good at any dealership. Bonus you get to beat the stuffing's out of someone else's bike without having to feel guilty about it. What sealed the deal for me was knowing that the bike was capable of the performance that I felt I needed from a touring bike. I was also able to nail down what size windshield I wanted etc. If the offer is still on I wouldn't pass on it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm a big believer in "gut feelings"...about bikes, cars, people...everything.

We get them for some reason.

Most times, if we ignore them...we regret it.

Make your move when you're sure.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm thinkin your from Mass lookin at your screen name? If your going to MoMs in Foxboro I've had good dealings with them.If there is a problem they will take care of it.But a gut feeling shouldnt be over looked.Shark cycle in Conn sells Vic also.Buy from them service at MoMs ..

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
So you went to a dealership and was ready to purchase but you didn't because of a light issue. You don't like plastic speedo housings. You do like the Cross Country. IMO had you of ridden a Cross roads without a wind shield you would have bought the XC. I get the feeling it was the dealership that you were a little leery of maybe ? Buy the XC. You like it and it has a stereo ! You wont look back. cheers

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I'm a big believer in "gut feelings"...about bikes, cars, people...everything.

We get them for some reason.

Most times, if we ignore them...we regret it.

Make your move when you're sure.
+1 on what Lowflight said.
I'm the same way, go with your gut.
There is no rush on this. Take your time and only make the move when you know it is right.
Don't live with regrets, it's just a bike.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
There is no rush on this.
It's only summer, which as we know, goes on forever...

The bike comes with a warranty. If you buy it and something doesn't work, you take it back and they fix or replace it.

I've ridden a lot and the rain with no issues. The only issue I'm aware of is the cruise control. I've never tried to use it in the rain, so I can't comment. When I do use it, it has worked fine.

I say get off the stump man or life will surely pass you by.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have to say, I don't know what to do now.
Just my opinion here , but you may be way over thinking this . The Vic's , no matter what model you choose are SOLID machines , but it is just a machine .... In my opinion they are the best offerings on the market today . Many of the guys here have never been back to the dealer after their initial purchase , me included . cheers

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Maybe not. Might not be the right bike after all.
Too much plastic, check. I'm with you. I think that when Polaris job fairs for engineering talent they only minimally screen for motorcycle affection. They do seem to care about GPA. The result is a better engineered product. The problem is for me that I am not shopping a product, I'm shopping a motorcycle. The better engineered motorcycle I get is designed by people who are totally invested in the concept that plastics are the magical elixer of modern manufacturing. "I just want to say one word to you, one word. Are you listening? Plastics."
Well, Pop calls bullshit.

If you can't provide an example of your... product on the showroom floor that performs to specification then what possible excuse do you have to expect someone to buy it? One I can think of, money. Offer a discount significant enough to make me consider forgiving the machines failure along with the assurance that all issues will be corrected and delivered in specified condition, then maybe we have reason to move forward. Otherwise I pretty much am moving on.

If you can be sold something that you aren't happy with the construction of and that does not perform to specification and there is no effort to find a number that compensates you for keeping skin in the game then not only are you taking a bad deal, you are reinforcing retailers thinking that they can make chumps out of buyers at will.

I would walk away. If that dealer wants to sell that bike he can clean it up, sharpen his pencil and call you with his hat in his hand and a reasonable financial accommodation offered to get you back to the table.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I was more offended that my speedo cup was chromed and not black ... I could care less that it was plastic , its a nonstructural piece , and being plastic it is light and will never rust , I have had mine apart and must say being plastic it is a solid piece . Agreed the bike on the showroom floor should be in solid working order , but that has more to do with the dealer prep IMHO .

My only thought on this is , would I ever hold it against a well engineered machine that I love the style and the ride , but because it has a plastic speedo cup and a bad blinker bulb , consider it a lost cause ? Not me , no matter the brand or model you look at , there will always be something to not like , its a machine , and they are not perfect and all have some inherent problems ...

Maybe he could try the next dealer down the line , that may have a more capable staff and service dept. that could at least put a functioning machine on the floor .... That would go a long way to instilling more confidence to the consumer .;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
+1 on what Lowflight said.
I'm the same way, go with your gut.
There is no rush on this. Take your time and only make the move when you know it is right.
Don't live with regrets, it's just a bike.
I know, you know, we know, Gatineau!...eh? :ltr:

I'm with LilMags as far as the actual machines...yeah, there's more plastic than I think there should be, but, as he points out, it's NOT structural...except for the side cover "pins" :D...OOPS!

I had to "fight like hell" with TWO different dealers to keep me from buying a Victory...NO demos to try...NO used bikes to ride...NO example of THE model I was interested in....NOT too knowledgeable about the bikes, in my opinion...so, THEY finally won, and I walked away...and I went and bought one from a guy who needed money for his new house...and DAMN if HE wasn't a pain in the ass to deal with, too! :D

But, in the end, I bought a 2013 Hammer 8 Ball, with a 250mm rear tire...which is what I WANTED...and I love it...but, it's NOT a Judge...or a Vegas...or a Gunner....so, I say, R-I-D-E an example of what YOU like...THEN decide.:cool:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The only issue I'm aware of is the cruise control.
The issue with the cruise control is due to poor design regarding weather proofing. Fortunately, that was the first design on the module. It has been upgraded and I'm relatively sure that all new Victory bikes with cruise control would have the upgraded version. I've experienced the issue on the Kingpin I traded in. The dealer replaced the entire system under warranty and told me that Vic was aware of the issue and that these newer systems can stand up to a pressure washer. In short, I think the cruise issue is no more.

·
12,968 Posts
If you get this far and read this. After sales men tells you price tell him you want the first 500 mile serves for free and you want the speed-o unlocked so you get all speed-o features. Be firm about it cause it will save you a good $250 bucks. Ask for 20% off all parts.

My vision has more plastic then any Vic and have no problem with it. The paint finish is great and it doesn't rattle and sitting in the garage over the winter where it gets down to zero it doesn't affect it.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I don't have a problem with the chromed plastics. This stuff is pretty high-quality, not the chintzy plastichrome trim from a 70s Chrysler.

I have a garage, but my bike spends maybe 5 weeks a year in it. The rest of the time, it's parked in my driveway when I'm not riding it, it's exposed to the sun, wind, rain, and whatever else southern Idaho can offer. The plastics have held up beautifully. The clear coat on the machined aluminum parts hasn't, but the plastics have.

I have cruise as well and have never experienced any issues with it wet or dry. I've ridden through a couple heavy downpours, and the bike frequently gets rained on since I don't always remember to put the cover on it (rainstorms in ID are sometimes a surprise).

A twitchy turn signal wouldn't deter me if I liked the bike. The dealer could certainly straighten that out before I took it.

If I can speak frankly, John, it sorta sounds like you're not committed to the idea of a Vic...which is fine. But don't nitpick yourself out of liking a great bike. If you don't want one, ya don't want one...time to move along and find one you do.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think you're looking for a reason NOT to buy.....

Between this post and your "do I have to modify the engine for it to be reliable?" thread it sounds like you're trying to justify a different brand.

Good luck.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have had my XR into---well let me just say a few pieces over the winter. Pardon me, but I did not see much plastic. Most of the stuff I power coated.

I was also surprised the speed O housing was and the mirrors are plastic. The tips of the turn signals are one piece LED plastic units and they bolt into metal frames that hold them on--front and rear. They have a single wire that plugs into a connector. I am guessing it is not plugged in firmly.

Other than the plastic thumb grips on the saddle bags and cheeze wedges----- Everything else I saw is metal. Even the saddle bag hinges are 5 lbs each. This thing has an aluminum frame-- no fairing and is still almost half a ton.

Not tring to sound like a smart azz, but if you think this has a lot of plastic, you must have never owned a Honda, Yama, Kawa, etc....

Sorry John, I gotta disagree. Mirrors and speed O housing does not a bike make. cheers I also agree that you need to go with the gut!!!! To me, the XR hit me in the gut!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I am probably going to be in the minority on this one.
As much as I like my Victory, I am absolutely certain that there is no way I would buy a bike that is already showing problems. As some have observed, the bike comes with a warranty and things will get fixed but let me put that in perspective. I traded my very nice HD for a Vic for a simple reason. I was afraid to own the HD when the warranty ran out. The darned thing was at the dealer every month or so for the entire time I owned it. Many of the repairs would have cost several hundred dollars each if it had not been under warranty at the time although they were never truly major issues.
Any bike that starts off with an issue to be repaired is a warning flag for me. I would turn my back on that one, although I might be thrilled to buy the next one off the production line.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts