Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know if Alpine SPS-510 speakers will fit in my '13 XCT fairing with Kuryakyn LED speaker grills? I know the diameter will fit. I want to make sure the speaker height will not hit the Kury LED speaker grills. The XCT stock speaker grills are flush across the front of the fairing. Kury LED speaker grills are indented a little into the fairing. Thanks

·
Registered
399 Posts
Does anyone know if Alpine SPS-510 speakers will fit in my '13 XCT fairing with Kuryakyn LED speaker grills? I know the diameter will fit. I want to make sure the speaker height will not hit the Kury LED speaker grills. The XCT stock speaker grills are flat across the front of the fairing. Kury LED speaker grills are indented a little into the fairing. Thanks
Just installed mine last night and from what I could tell they sit at almost the same depth as the kickers I had. In fact they may actually be a little deeper in there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm must not be asking the right question

I am not wording the question correctly. I know they fit the diameter. I know they fit the depth. I need to know if the Alpine SPS-510 speakers stick out (deck height) further than the Kicker speakers? Thanks

·
Registered
399 Posts
That is what I was saying. I think it's about the same if not a bit thinner in that aspect.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does anyone know if Alpine SPS-510 speakers will fit in my '13 XCT fairing with Kuryakyn LED speaker grills? I know the diameter will fit. I want to make sure the speaker height will not hit the Kury LED speaker grills. The XCT stock speaker grills are flush across the front of the fairing. Kury LED speaker grills are indented a little into the fairing. Thanks
I think you will be fine, see attached for spacing.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks

How is the quality of sound compared to Kickers? I already have a RF 300w amp installed. Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
How is the quality of sound compared to Kickers? I already have a RF 300w amp installed. Thanks
I am pleased with my set up, no amp yet but running alpine's in the front and the kickers in the truck.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all, Barryj2065 for pics.

Barryj2065, is that a leather window pouch in the corner of the pic of your fairing? If so, where'd you get it, how'd you install? Come back.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Barryj2065, is that a leather window pouch in the corner of the pic of your fairing? If so, where'd you get it, how'd you install? Come back.
Here's a better pic. Purchased from kuryakyn and simply drilled holes through the plastic pouch sleeve to match fairing holes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I had purchased some polks to put up front and kickers for the rear but have not gotten around to installing yet. After watching the Witchdocotrs install video the ALPINE-SPS-510s seem like a real no brainer plug and play. Anyone know how they compare to the Polks?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I am pleased with my set up, no amp yet but running alpine's in the front and the kickers in the truck.
is the sound noticeably improved over stock? I have some Polk DXi s that I was going to put up front but from what I read will require some changing of the connectors and I do not see the bllast thingy that is on the Alpines that, according to Witchdoctors, block any bass from going through the tweeter and possibly distorting or causing damage. I like simple and from the video these are simple.

·
Registered
49 Posts
is the sound noticeably improved over stock? I have some Polk DXi s that I was going to put up front but from what I read will require some changing of the connectors and I do not see the bllast thingy that is on the Alpines that, according to Witchdoctors, block any bass from going through the tweeter and possibly distorting or causing damage. I like simple and from the video these are simple.
Much improvement over stock.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Picked up a set on eBay for under $60, free S&H, hoping this install goes easy and my sound is improved. Now to get some Kuryakyn chrome lighted speaker grills and some time to install.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Be careful with just the speakers and no amp. If you crank the volume the speakers won't get enough power and you can actually blow them that way.

That said the combo of the speakers with an amp is great. I compared it to the magnum system and in my mind it blows the magnum speakers away.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Be careful with just the speakers and no amp. If you crank the volume the speakers won't get enough power and you can actually blow them that way.

That said the combo of the speakers with an amp is great. I compared it to the magnum system and in my mind it blows the magnum speakers away.
Hello Gents,

If I may ask a question here...I'm a novice when it comes to this type of upgrade, so I'm considering the WitchDoctors Amp kit w/o speakers. This seems like a XCT stereo upgrade kit for dummies.:D

Is this RF Amp (pbr300x2) compatible with the Polk 6.5 speakers? I'd prefer to go with these vs. the 5.25's. I know there's an ohm thing I have to be aware of but, I'm no expert. Thanks! cheers

·
Registered
790 Posts
I put the 510s in yesterday with a stock amp. Here is what I noticed:
1) the stupid little screw in the bottom corner is a pain. I couldn't get the right angle on it even with a Ball head T handle. Mine was very tight. Found a small right angle Allen and barely got it in enough to break it loose. I bring this up because you asked about clearance in the front. When I put it back together the same tool would not clear the cones. They do sit fractionally further out.
2)the sound difference is amazing. Much clearer. Simply added more front on fader.
3) If you do this WARNING! STUFF A CLOTH OR PAPER TOWEL IN BOTTOM CORNERS OF SPEAKER OPENING. If not when you pull out a pesky,and seems to always be the last screw, and watch it in slow motion fall off your Allen wrench/fingers (tight area) it will fall down the holes into the fairing and you will end up pulling the fairing. Yea,it happened to me.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hello Gents,

If I may ask a question here...I'm a novice when it comes to this type of upgrade, so I'm considering the WitchDoctors Amp kit w/o speakers. This seems like a XCT stereo upgrade kit for dummies.:D

Is this RF Amp (pbr300x2) compatible with the Polk 6.5 speakers? I'd prefer to go with these vs. the 5.25's. I know there's an ohm thing I have to be aware of but, I'm no expert. Thanks! cheers
First you can self assemble that kit for a fraction of Witchdoctors. The amps is about $160 on Amazon, a amp wiring kit about $30, a spool of speaker wire is $10, and the bracket for witchdoctors is $50. That's $250 for an extra $20 you can buy a soldering iron and tons of heat shrink and do it your self. That is $270 vs. $560.

This is more than the XCT upgrade the XCT had rear speakers and front kickers but no amp. This will sound better and the amp helps add some extra omph to it.

As long as you have 2 or 4 ohm rated speakers the PBR wii work it just changes your RMS output rating but that's normal. If you can get 2 ohm speakers you will be able to send a bit more juice to them.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/pbr300x2

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Install observations and tips

Okay, here's my take. First of all eBay cancelled my order as they were out of stock, however; I still found these online much cheaper than Witchdoctors. Before getting started I re-watched the Withdoctors video and took some tips from a previous poster. I also went out and bought myself a ball end T-handle hex set (this turned out to be an almost complete waste of money BTW).
Most of my screws were too tight for the angled ball end to do anything so I had to at least loosen them (almost all) with an old fashioned hockey stick style allen wrench. I did the stuff the hole with paper towel idea which turned out pretty good but when I did the high side (the right speaker in this case) I dropped a screw anyway :mad: but it fell completely through and to the ground so I guess I got lucky on that.:D
As far as the speaker connections, they were simple enough to know which went where however, the black connector was loose on both and I had to squeeze the right one with pliers in order for it to stay on, hopefully the left stays and doesn't vibrate off but it wasn't quite as loose. Also keep in mind which way you mount the speaker. Yes, it is round so the sound should be the same regardless, but there is that line that runs across the tweeter and I didn't realize that I had mounted the left speaker with that line running vertical until I mounted the right and initially had it horizontal, I quickly corrected this before installing the screws so no real time wasted.(I may eventually change this to both being horizontal only because I'm anal like that and think that a horizontal line flows better with the dash, even though they are behind covers you can still see them)
Since I've mentioned those pesky screws and their tight positions, again, the ball end hex did not help too much, you must start these screws by hand before using any tools, then on at least 2 of the screws you can use your ball end hex to tighten, but keep that old fashioned allen key around as you will need it to tighten the hard to get to screws. Just take your time and have patience. It seems like the tools and/or the speakers won't fit at times, but they will, go slow and keep maneuvering everything until it all fits.
All in all, it was still a relatively easy and fast mod that shouldn't cause you too much grief.
Only listened to sound in garage so far so I don't have a complete review on that just yet but they seem pretty good. My main reason for the change was because I think I had a blown (or partially blown) left speaker as it would crackle from time to time especially with bassy parts. Way cheaper than the Kickers and a quick fix/mod. Will change rears out to kickers soon. No amp for me yet.

·
Registered
328 Posts
First you can self assemble that kit for a fraction of Witchdoctors. The amps is about $160 on Amazon, a amp wiring kit about $30, a spool of speaker wire is $10, and the bracket for witchdoctors is $50. That's $250 for an extra $20 you can buy a soldering iron and tons of heat shrink and do it your self. That is $270 vs. $560.
I second that, I think mine came in at just under $320 with speakers

1 - 20 of 26 Posts