Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing some searching around and not seen anything about a rear tire alternate size. No not interested in going darkside. So on the Venture I had good luck/experience with Michelin Commander 2's. I like the tread patter as opposed to the Dunlap E 3. I like that the tread has cross over to shed water in center. Michelin does not make an "exact" replacement size. The make a 180/65-16 bias in the Commander 2.
My question is has anyone went with the 65 series vs the 60? Do you see any fitment issues? I used a tire comparison calculator and it comes up that the width is equal--the sidewall height is 9mm taller on the 65 series (a tick under 3/8") Overall height is 18mm taller. Spedo difference alternate tire would show 60 mph and actual speed would be aprox 61.74.
I really dont see a jump out at me reason a tire of this size should not work. I mean if guys a cramming a CT in there, it figures there is some room to mess with.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
No problems here with fitment of the 180/65/16 Commander II when I had them. Since my speedo is 2mph slow on the stock size the Commander II actually corrected it to dead on.
All that said, I got about 10K out of the set, once they wore they went to ****. The tires caused a serious high speed corning wobble and wet traction turned terrible. At the end it was dangerous to ride.
I switched to Avon Cobras and they a whole different world... Now to loose the Ride-On and switch to Balance Beads

·
13,262 Posts
I would look at the Dunlop Elite 4 looks like it would be a good all around tire

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
No problems here with fitment of the 180/65/16 Commander II when I had them. Since my speedo is 2mph slow on the stock size the Commander II actually corrected it to dead on.
All that said, I got about 10K out of the set,
I thought those were supposed to be high mileage tires

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got over 17500 on mine on my RSV and they are about the same weight, maybe a bit heavier.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I thought those were supposed to be high mileage tires
To be fair I only got 8k out of my Avon, I have a feeling the fast wear might be due to me using Ride-On. But still the Commander II's were awful when they wore out.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be fair I only got 8k out of my Avon, I have a feeling the fast wear might be due to me using Ride-On. But still the Commander II's were awful when they wore out.
WOW Of the different tires I have had on the bikes since 2007 I think the MC2 was the best. M E-3 got the "choppy corner" thing going on and they made such a loud noise in long sweeping corners. I then went to the MC2 and they felt great all the way through the life. This being on a Venture. Had some Route 66 Pierelli on my 900 Vulcan they were decent, the D404 from factory on that bike I dont think were all that great.My XCT has 25k on it now I highly doublt the E-3 on it are factory. Just sort of looking forward as to what options I can use. Maybe a Continental? I have run Shinkos before and they have been decent, but I have not run the radial ones. I read review on the SE 890 and its kind of a mixed bag depending on where your reading. You read maybe 4 "good tire for price" then run across one that it delaminated.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Well, I only got about 6k on the two rear Avon's. I must ride aggressively

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I know I ride aggressively... I got 10k miles out of my stock Dunlop. I will see how many out of the Avon Cobra.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
Had a Pirelli Night Dragon on my XCT before Americade, picked up a nail with it, and came home with a Dunlop E4. I am very impressed with it, considering I disliked the E3.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Been doing some searching around and not seen anything about a rear tire alternate size. No not interested in going darkside. So on the Venture I had good luck/experience with Michelin Commander 2's. I like the tread patter as opposed to the Dunlap E 3. I like that the tread has cross over to shed water in center. Michelin does not make an "exact" replacement size. The make a 180/65-16 bias in the Commander 2.
My question is has anyone went with the 65 series vs the 60? Do you see any fitment issues? I used a tire comparison calculator and it comes up that the width is equal--the sidewall height is 9mm taller on the 65 series (a tick under 3/8") Overall height is 18mm taller. Spedo difference alternate tire would show 60 mph and actual speed would be aprox 61.74.
I really dont see a jump out at me reason a tire of this size should not work. I mean if guys a cramming a CT in there, it figures there is some room to mess with.
I got a deal on a Michelin Commander 2 through a buddy. I really wanted the Dunlop E 4 but he couldn't find it in his stupid books. He kept bragging about how great the Michelins were. So I bought it and it gets installed Friday. I was curious about them so I went online and found out on Michelin's website that they don't make a tire for my XCT. So I ended up using a comparison calculator. I guess I find out if I like them or not. If I don't, I may end up just buying a Dunlop E 4. I will keep you all updated.

One thing I worried about is the height. I have to stretch to reach the ground at time. I'm already considering going from 1" lowering link to 1.5" lowering link. Hope this doesn't force me to.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So what did you finally end up with? Radial or Bias? Size Yea I'm a bit vertically challenged and part of the reason I went to the XCT from the RSV.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
I am not sure what it is. He was saying that all his buddies love it. Guess I will find out when I go get it installed later this week

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
I mounted a set of the Bias Ply 65 series American Elites for Harley on my 12 XCT without any issues..

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
I mounted a set of the Bias Ply American Elites for Harley on my 12 XCT without any issues..
You don't have any handling issues either?

·
Registered
325 Posts
You don't have any handling issues either?

No handling or clearance issues... I feel that the tires "feel" heavier then the Radials but I expect them to last longer also and that is the trade off to me.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
No handling or clearance issues... I feel that the tires "feel" heavier then the Radials but I expect them to last longer also and that is the trade off to me.
I don't know the difference and I have no clue what was ordered aside from it being a Michelin Commander II

·
Registered
761 Posts
I too went to the Commander II's two tire changes ago and have never looked back. As pointed out the speedometer is spot on to the GPS. I've easily got over 20K miles on them riding double fully loaded. their 81 load rating is the highest in the business. Great traction.. Glides at 80 MPH.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
I was worried about it but now I am starting to feel more at ease about it

Reactions: Blowndodge

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Are you saying the bike feels heavier??

BTW....Semper Fi!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts