Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the looks of my spoke wheels and think they fit well with the classic look of my LE. However, with spokes, due to the tube, no way to plug a flat tire should the need arise.
Anyone have ideas on another wheele style that would fit well with the look of this bike and allow me to run non-tube tires, therefore allowing me to plug if necessary?

·
Registered
265 Posts
You could always pick up a set of Vision wheels. I see them on Craigslist and eBay from time to time for a reasonable price. Also, I'm sure Ness would have a pair of Billet they'd sell you.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
CL or fleabay would be your best bet. You might get lucky and find a X bike owner who is has put on a set of bigger rims or just wanted something different and are looking to sell their old rims.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
In addition to what's already been suggested, the 2010-2011 XR wheels or 2010-2013 XC stock wheels might also be an option, although you would lose the spokes look.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I like the looks of my spoke wheels and think they fit well with the classic look of my LE. However, with spokes, due to the tube, no way to plug a flat tire should the need arise.
Anyone have ideas on another wheele style that would fit well with the look of this bike and allow me to run non-tube tires, therefore allowing me to plug if necessary?
I think these would look killer on it:

There is a guy on one of the other Vic sites that put Hammer S wheels on his and they look great IMHO.

If you change the wheel, you may want to consider going to a radial while you're at it. My friend rode an LE then an XC and XCT and he said he really didn't like the feel of the LE's front end. He said he never noticed the uneasy feeling on my XR. The only thing that I can imagine caused this was the bias ply on the LE. I didn't ride it, but I will next time. I'm now interested in just how much it affects the ride.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Almost forgot. During the demo rides a guy decided to go home on his spoke rimmed Harley. He rode out of one end of the parking lot and right back in the other with a flat tire.

He went in and talked to the service dept. I told him he was lucky to find the flat where he did. He agreed and said they were gonna plug it for him. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he wasn't gonna get our of there near that cheap...

·
Registered
774 Posts
There's a way to run tubeless on a spoked rim.
http://www.gadgetjq.com/tww.htm
Hey Byte it, good article, but I was under the impression that sylcone would not stick to it self. (The 2 maybe 3 coats).
Played with lots of sylcone over the years, are the new ones better?
Want to try this but chicken. Thoughts on a small wire wheel to rough around nipples?
Any room for more micro brewers down there? Jack: higher than you.cheers

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
While I love the Old School Look of Spoke Wheels .. My 04 Heritage was the Last of the Spokes for me .. Besides needing Tubes and a Pain if have a Flat, they are a pain to keep looking nice and have to check and tune them for tightness regularly.. The FXR4 came with a Spoke Wheel up Front Stock which still have the wheel boxed and sealed, but as soon as ran the rubber off the tire replaced it with a Thunderstar ..

Before ..

After ..

·
Registered
851 Posts
For the front Metalsport LA Lace Chrome wheels look almost exactly like spoked wheels. Kewlmetal has them for $1,171

They don't make an identical wheel for the rear (16x3.5 or 16x5.5 but not 16x5 that the Cross Roads uses). However, Kewlmetal lists the 1969 Rear Wheel will work but the size is listed as 18 x 5.5. Not sure if it will work but it looks good for $1,229

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While I love the Old School Look of Spoke Wheels .. My 04 Heritage was the Last of the Spokes for me .. Besides needing Tubes and a Pain if have a Flat, they are a pain to keep looking nice and have to check and tune them for tightness regularly.. The FXR4 came with a Spoke Wheel up Front Stock which still have the wheel boxed and sealed, but as soon as ran the rubber off the tire replaced it with a Thunderstar ..

Before ..

After ..

Very nice! Thanks for the input and pics.

For the front Metalsport LA Lace Chrome wheels look almost exactly like spoked wheels. Kewlmetal has them for $1,171

They don't make an identical wheel for the rear (16x3.5 or 16x5.5 but not 16x5 that the Cross Roads uses). However, Kewlmetal lists the 1969 Rear Wheel will work but the size is listed as 18 x 5.5. Not sure if it will work but it looks good for $1,229

Wow! That's a lot of coin, but I know this is not going to be an inexpensive idea. Not sure I could go with having mis-matched wheels...eventhough the rear is largly hidden by fender and bags. I'll have to give this some thought. Thanks much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts