Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI

Sumax Custom Made Spark Plug Wire Sets For Victory Models 2008-Up

Published by Cyril Huze April 28th, 2016 in Customs, Editorial and Electrical.
These Sumax custom made wires feature a Pro 8MM Spiro Pro core with Pro Comp Racing Plug Boots. Available in Black, Red, Blue, Yellow, Orange, Green, White, Purple and Grey. S
Sets require no terminating. They are ready to plug in and ride. Their Thunderbolt 50 series High Performance 8.2MM & 10.4MM wires are endorsed by Loydz Motorworkz, the Victory Performance gurus.
USA made. At Sumax 315-768-1058, or Distributed by Lemans, Drag, Tucker Rocky, Biker’s Choice & Lloydz Motorworkz.

·
13,262 Posts
That bike is so beautiful and now with the Sumax wires its powerful.
OK its my bike and when you bolt or put a new part on your bike just feels better. I know its between my ears that give me this feeling but.
In this case I swear the bike starts better and feels smoother going down the road.
I do think everyone should change plug wires I'm not saying Sumax per say I think the factory wires are not that good.
How they plug into the coil

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I have a pair of the chrome/blue wires from WD. TO look at them, however, they look just mostly like chrome wire loom. I like the plain blue ones better...

Reactions: eotsis1

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
sumax-taylor

lloydz + witchdoctor both sell them, there are 8mm, + 8.2mm as well as 10.4mm versions made for Vics. nice wires but $$$$ for two wires!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Any radio interference with using them?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
do not last

factory carbon core wires do not last + are not the best conductors, and modern solid wire spiral core wires have less resistance + fully suppress interference + last longer. as noted most gains are barely noticeable but possibly in higher rpm's or smoother idle, or of course your OE wires are failing. quality MSD 8.5mm wires can be found for about $60 for 8 wires, thats why i question the pricing for two!!!!! you can get universal wires where you install the one end at the coil for even less!!!! we overpay for many motorcycle specific parts, spark plug wires do not have to be included IMO

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
factory carbon core wires do not last + are not the best conductors, and modern solid wire spiral core wires have less resistance + fully suppress interference + last longer. as noted most gains are barely noticeable but possibly in higher rpm's or smoother idle, or of course your OE wires are failing. quality MSD 8.5mm wires can be found for about $60 for 8 wires, thats why i question the pricing for two!!!!! you can get universal wires where you install the one end at the coil for even less!!!! we overpay for many motorcycle specific parts, spark plug wires do not have to be included IMO
So true rodhotter, the stock cables are "fine" but there are motorcycle spark wire manufacturers with MUCH better quality insulation / thicker / less resistance cables for sell that looks good / bigger / after and maybe improve or not... That wouldn't matter...

There was 1 guy on a vic who went to DyNo and the reading of the plugwire clamp was OFF, coz of the good insulation, so he had to put the STOCK wires back on for the DyNo run only

Where does one find BETTER spark wire boots & cables that fit Victory, and make it ourselves ... This would be very interesting indeed....

Andre
TaPaTaLk

·
13,262 Posts
Never had any radio noise from plug wires.
I didn't feel any more power but I swear the motor ran smoother.

·
Registered
371 Posts
what about nology hot wires, they any good for vic bikes.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
braided wires

had a set of metal braided wires in a car, magnacor i believe, they created a LOT of static even with the included ground wiring installed!!

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, I'm happy to report there are alternatives to the Victory, $40 a pair spark plug wires.

Common thinking is the Victory wires are somehow special and that may be true for the Vision and XC with a stereo due to ignition noise being transferred through the radio but for all other Victory's it's simply a matter of matching up the ends and getting close to the length or coiling them.

I somehow pulled the metal end off one of the plug wires from my Kingpin so I started looking for replacements and was (again) shocked they were charging in the neighborhood of $40 a set so I looked at the ends and checked out ebay where I could see the ends.

I noticed one set of yellow 8mm wires for a 4 cyl Ford Focus had the right ends for my KP; one end 90 degrees and the other relatively straight. I put them on today, along with a new set of plugs and my sluggish motor was awake again and running like new. Best it has in a long time. Plus, even though 2 of the 4 wires are kinda long, I have the option of using them in the future if I want to. I'll just have to coil them or cut them down to length. If nothing else; I can use them for trouble shooting. Pic's below. I've included a pic of the coil end of my XC since a lot of us ride those. The other ends are straight. So you do have options which is important as we go forward with our little orphan Annies.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
2013 hammer wires

tried some universal wires for GM cars, the coil ends did not fit correctly!! i went with the Sumax 10.4 wires, fit great + runs well!!

·
13,262 Posts
Last year I put on some Sumax plug wires and like you Bob I swear it was a new motor. The bike started better and was a lot smoother.
Guys if you still have factory wire get rid of them and go to a better wire you'll be happy you did

·
Registered
762 Posts
What sumax wires did you go with? size, length?

I have a 2013 XCT and I'm thinking of upgrading as well. Thanks,

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
sumax.com

go directly to the web site for specific direct fit plug wires for Vics, as stated i got the Thundervolt 10.4 mm wires, others like what Lloydz + Witchdoctor sells are available as well, lots of colors but the 10.4's only in black, what i wanted anyhow!!

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I posted this in the other forum but wanted to make sure the info was here too.

From what I can tell; the common car plug wires (8mm or larger) work fine on my 2004 KP but they didn't work on my 2011 XC because there's a ridge near the top of the metal/copper connector that snaps into the coil. The plug end is no problem. The only reason I can think of for Polaris/Victory to do this is make sure the wire didn't walk out of the coil. Also the boot on the coil end is shorter than normal so I sacrificed one of the yellow wires by cutting the boot down to fit but no joy; it still didn't snap in like it should have.

There may be a way to alter the end or there may be other makes and models of something other than Victory that uses this design. If I worked at an Auto Zone or other auto parts store I could maybe check everything in stock to see. I may stop by one just to see if anyone recognizes this little difference. It isn't just to avoid paying $40 plus bucks; at some point a difference source may need to be found as less and less shops carry these basic items.

I can't say for sure but I believe pre-2006 bikes will for sure use the standard style plug wires. If people who have later model steel frame bikes want to pull their coil end plug wire to see if there's a little ridge around the top; we can add that info to this thread as well.

It would be great if techs like KevinX had more time to peruse these forums like he used to when he worked at a dealership but with their own shops; they are far too busy to do that any more. Maybe someone can ask Kevin, Rylan, Kyle, or any other good Victory tech/Mech.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts