Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Just visted Lloydz to sign up and thought I'd take a look at the Thundervolts. They come from Lloydz so Taylor does know and have what fits our bikes. I knew there was something wonky about their website. I'm going to write them a letter about that too.

https://lloydz.com/products/engine-accessories/colored-spark-plug-wires/

I want to support Lloydz so I'm reluctant to point this out but the same wires are $23 through Taylor.

I really think this is a website issue more than anything. Also, for whatever reason, the Taylor site only has these Thundervolt 50 wires in black when I visit. Your browser may work differently on a different OS.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
When I tried the Taylor website they showed 0 (zero) matches for Victory. I'd guess the Lloyds wires are the same. I'm fine with paying Lloyds to have the correct wires in stock with a good color selection as well. I'm all for saving money when it makes sense. But I also value dealing with people and companies who cater to the Victory community. If it costs a few dollars extra, I'm fine with that.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I sent an email to Taylor to see what the shipping charges are. They had the red thundervolts in stock. sometimes shipping from Canada doubles the price.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Since I'm in southern cal and you're in AZ do you remember the shipping charges?

·
Premium Member
14,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Since I'm in southern cal and you're in AZ do you remember the shipping charges?
It was $12. I still don't know why a company with this many distributors wouldn't have a US warehouse.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Are these new plug wires easier to pull of than the factor wires. Do you need a puller for them?

·
Premium Member
14,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Are these new plug wires easier to pull of than the factor wires. Do you need a puller for them?
I doubt it if they are made to Victory specs with that little ring around the top.

One trick I saw on a YouTube video did make it easier the last time I pulled the wires from the plugs; twist them around a bit first then start pulling as you twist. They came out easier that way for me at least. I bet the same trick works for the coil ends.

·
Premium Member
14,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
All Done :)

Okay, it took a little doing, but I got the red 409 10.4 mm racing wires from Taylor. Not sure what the issue was; whether it was human error on picking the part off the shelf, the database they use wasn't right, or possibly the website that uses that database but they sent me the right ones with a return label to send the others back so I can now officially recommend these Taylor spark plug wires.

You can see the part number on the package so if you want to be sure you get this particular one; make sure it's this. It was shipped from their place in MO; not Canada. If you want one of the other colors; I would call them, reference this part number to make sure they are on the same page (for 106 engines) and go from there. Maybe they will give you a part number to order online.

I should be good to go for the next 10+ years with these wires; maybe longer depending on how many miles I put on the bike which isn't a lot since I don't do much touring anymore.

The older red wires from Victory are still good. Maybe I'll throw them on ebay at some point since I have a blue back up set. Now all 4 of my vehicles have new plugs and wires. Something I can forget about for the next, well, long time. Maybe 10 years or more like I said.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I don't know why the name difference but if you're looking for Taylor wires look at Sumax. Victory has their own section. Seems to be the same Thundervolt series and I believe Lloyd used to have them ID'd as Sumax rather than Taylor but I'm not positive about that.

Sumax - Demand the Best!

Then select motorcycle wires/victory wires

As mentioned already, shipping to Canada pretty much doubles the price. If I was still in my old location I'd just get them made but in this new place I'm going to have to see if a local is making race wires for the guys down at the track. It's easy to do if you have the tools but by the the time I purchase the crimping tool it would cost more than a new set.

·
13,318 Posts
Victory was charging $60 bucks for one stock plug wire. Have to believe thats over 100% mark up

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
Yeah that Victory all over.
Grear bike but made by Polaris

·
Premium Member
14,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
I have a bit more info to add since I asked some questions after the fact.

Me:
I do have some questions I probably should have asked before. I notice the 409 10mm are racing wires. Are the Thundervolt's racing wires also and do they also come in 10.4mm? How does this affect longevity? Do the racing wires last as long as regular plug wires? What is the main difference between the 8.2mm and the 10.4mm?

I'm only trying to be an informed customer so I order the right product next time.
Taylor technical support:
I will try to go in order with the answers. All of are wires can be considered “Racing” or “Performance” wires because they are of higher quality than an OE replacement type. The ThunderVolt wires are available in 8.2mm and 50-10.4mm, they also have lower resistance / better performance than the 409” but you will not be able to see a difference from one to the other. There will be no difference in life expectancy / longevity from one to the other, as long as you don’t physically damage (cut / burn) the wires you should never have to replace them. The 8.2mm and 50 wire have the same conductor, it’s just another pass of insulation for protection. The 409” has the same conductor as the 8mm Spiro Pro (our most popular) just with another pass of insulation.
The moral of the story from what I'm reading is these wires last pretty much forever. You never need to change them so the extra cost is sooo worth it knowing it's one less thing to concern yourself with. Couple these wires with some long lasting (I'm thinking Iridium) plugs you can just forget about dealing with either for the life of the bike or at least 100k miles.

Winner!

One of the big things that drew me to Victory was the low maintenance but also the reliability and longevity of the engines. These plug wires add to that.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Yup, and that's come up before. Unless you are making some serious performance upgrades the standard spark plug wires are totally sufficient. Upgrade when you have to or suspect insulator breakdown is causing some troubles.

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
Yup, and that's come up before. Unless you are making some serious performance upgrades the standard spark plug wires are totally sufficient. Upgrade when you have to or suspect insulator breakdown is causing some troubles.
Exactly!...a wise man.
My stockers are fine....though beating off over some blue ones to match my bike might be fun.......nahhh not really:angel

The trick with plug wires is all in how they are handled.....so easy to clumsily hurt them....do it right they'll last.
Do it wrong throw em in the bin.

·
Premium Member
14,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
It's probably safe to say the stock black wires or the alternative colored wires from Victory are good for longer than most people keep their bikes.

It's the plugs that normally go bad quickest.

Is the extra insulation good? Of course! Is it necessary? Nah; not really. Just spot tie the wires in such a way so it doesn't rub or otherwise get damaged while riding. Not rocket surgery; just common (mechanical) sense. Do they look cool? Oh yeah!

·
13,318 Posts
I got some wires from Sumax and with new normal NGK plugs I felt the bike started better and felt smoother. I never did like the stock ones I guess cause of the price polaris wanted for them. I don't remember what my reading was but the front wire was off compared to the rear

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks to BBob and this thread I got a set of ford focus 8mm silicon plug wires for a cool $14!!! Work and look great. Tough to justify $50 plus for plugs unless you have extensive motor work. Thanks for the great info. BBob has done a great job trying to keep finding alternative parts for our bikes. Please keep the good work.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 76 Posts