Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my 2014 XC it had Kuryakyn ISO Grips with the Throttle Boss. I removed the throttle boss in the 1st week because it almost got me in trouble during my high traffic commute.
I didn't really like the thicker feel but I got used to it in time. Yesterday I took my first longer trip and after a few hours my hands were sore. Yes I was on a lot of twisty's so I probably was over gripping.
I purchased a pair of factory grips a couple weeks ago so I installed them today. One Happy surprise is I found out I already had a 1/4 turn ring on the ISO grips. I switched the ring over to the new grips and I already like the feel better.

Anyone else have the same experience with overly thick grips?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I had Kury ISO grips on for a couple years...I never was a fan of the thick feel but, like you, I got used to them. The only reason I kept the ISO grips was because I have the weighted large bar-ends to damp vibrations. Last year I finally got brave and ditched the ISO's for a set of Avon Custom Contour grips which I'm much happier with :)

Avon Grips MT Custom Contour Grips Anodized Black MT-CC-86-ANO 17-9366 0630-1708

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
My VTX has the ISO grips and I have always hated them. I can deal with the thickness but can only ride with gloves because they hurt to hold. It's the ones with the large square rubber pieces. They have others that are more smooth.

Set the throttle boss to your interstate cruising speed. That's how both of mine are. Added similar to the Vic. Then it's not in the way.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My VTX has the ISO grips and I have always hated them. I can deal with the thickness but can only ride with gloves because they hurt to hold. It's the ones with the large square rubber pieces. They have others that are more smooth.

Set the throttle boss to your interstate cruising speed. That's how both of mine are. Added similar to the Vic. Then it's not in the way.
It sounds like yours are the same as mine.
The Throttle boss would get in the way when I needed to quickly release the throttle and get on the brakes on my morning highway commute. I just removed it because t was safer to do so.
I attached a photo of mine. I guess I should try to sell them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Yes those are the ones I have on my VTX. It came with them and I'm not a fan.

·
Registered
533 Posts
i had them on my MeanStreak and those rubber sections were always moving around and coming out... was the biggest pain in the ass and one of the reasons i removed them for different grips.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
FS: Avon Grips MT-AIR-90-CH $42.00 Brand new in the package delivered to the ConUS. PM me

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I realize now why I had a hard time trying to install an Easy Clutch and ended up removing it the same day

The fat Iso grips limit how far you can pull in the clutch handle. (seems obvious now)

With Standard grips it looks like I get almost another 1/4 inch of pull distance on the clutch. This would make a huge difference when setting up the Easy Clutch since they are a little touchy with the adjustments.

I think I might start a new thread regarding Fat grips and the easy clutch.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
I like em , yeah, got em on both my bikes.
I always wear gloves riding.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just picked up my 2015 magnum and these are on there. I thought I had big mits but these are not comfortable at all to me as i'm reaching for the clutch but I agree never been a fan. Going to switch to some avons once I change the bars.

·
Registered
262 Posts
See, I've had them on both my bikes (Shadow Aero 750 and now the XR), both with the throttle boss. I have loved them so far

·
Registered
583 Posts
I realize now why I had a hard time trying to install an Easy Clutch and ended up removing it the same day

The fat Iso grips limit how far you can pull in the clutch handle. (seems obvious now)

With Standard grips it looks like I get almost another 1/4 inch of pull distance on the clutch. This would make a huge difference when setting up the Easy Clutch since they are a little touchy with the adjustments.

I think I might start a new thread regarding Fat grips and the easy clutch.
OK, you talked me into it.:smile

I have been using the Iso Grips for many years and liked them but I am using the Easy Clutch and I think you may be correct that I will gain a little more clutch play if I change to the Avon grips. I now have them or order.

·
Registered
262 Posts
OK, you talked me into it.:smile

I have been using the Iso Grips for many years and liked them but I am using the Easy Clutch and I think you may be correct that I will gain a little more clutch play if I change to the Avon grips. I now have them or order.
I had the same issue, and the only solution I was able to come up with to use the ISO-Grips and the EZ Clutch were the LSL Adjustable levers. You gain about 1/2-3/4" cable travel, which offsets the size of the ISO grips. Took me 3 years of experiments to finally find the solution.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I like the OEM grips. The ones Pain has there look like I could stand them. The ISO grips not so much. I rode a friends one day for about 30 min and never felt like I had a good grip on bars. Pain are those grips still heated? I dont use mine a bunch here in Fla, but they are nice when I need them in NC.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yesterday I installed my new Avon Grips.

The left Iso Grip came of in peaces as you can imagine. This is the second time I have had to remove one of those so I knew what I was in for. The replacement Avon grip does not use adhesive so that is a nice feature.

The right grip was a bit interesting because I had to remove my Brakeaway Cruise Control in order to change out the grip. Got the new grip installed but could not reinstall the Cruise control because I need a new rubber strip that gets inserted into the control, between the set screws and the handlebar, during assembly. I will have to order a replacement rubber strip from Brakeaway and install the cruise control at a later date.

After having the Iso Grips on all my three bikes over the years, the new Avon grips do feel strange, (skinny). I am sure I will get used to them. They are very nice comfortable grips.

Again, I liked my IsoGrips and only changed them as preventive maintenance to hopefully extent the life of my clutch using the EZ clutch. The bike has about 62,000mi. on it using the EZ clutch. Now I am hoping for 100,000 using the Avon Grips.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yesterday, I rode 160mi. with my new grips and I am very happy with the results. They felt good and the best part is the bike seems to be shifting better and it seemed a lot easier to find neutral. I think the clutch may have been dragging just a very little bit while the lever was pulled fully into the Iso-grip causing the slight shifting and neutral finding problems after the bike got really hot.

I hope it was not just my imagination. but the EZ-Clutch seems to be working even better now. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yesterday, I rode 160mi. with my new grips and I am very happy with the results. They felt good and the best part is the bike seems to be shifting better and it seemed a lot easier to find neutral. I think the clutch may have been dragging just a very little bit while the lever was pulled fully into the Iso-grip causing the slight shifting and neutral finding problems after the bike got really hot.

I hope it was not just my imagination. but the EZ-Clutch seems to be working even better now. Only time will tell.
For curiosity sake, which Avon grips?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Richie, I'm glad you updated and confirmed what I was thinking about the Thick Grips and the clutch pull. I hadn't had time to check it myself.
If you get a chance, take a picture of your new grips and add it here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts