Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is the GEICO motorcycle commercial with the man made of money. Has anybody noticed he is riding a cheap metric with some cheezy saddlebags. Almost everybody he rides past has a bigger, nicer, more expensive ride than the man who is made of money and is shedding bills.

I am not knocking or critizing metric bikes. The man that is suppose to impress everybody with his money is riding the least expensive plainest bike. :crzy: I think it is crazy funny, but everybody I point it out to just does not see the humor. I guess it is just one of the benefits of me living in my special world thumb up

Please-- nobody take offense. cheers

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
It is the GEICO motorcycle commercial with the man made of money. Has anybody noticed he is riding a cheap metric with some cheezy saddlebags. Almost everybody he rides past has a bigger, nicer, more expensive ride than the man who is made of money and is shedding bills.

I am not knocking or critizing metric bikes. The man that is suppose to impress everybody with his money is riding the least expensive plainest bike. :crzy: I think it is crazy funny, but everybody I point it out to just does not see the humor. I guess it is just one of the benefits of me living in my special world thumb up

Please-- nobody take offense. cheers
I've not seen the commercial but it's apparent somebody took notice... and isn't that what they want?

Commercials I tend to notice most are the ones that obviously have something out of place.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Look in most parts catalogs, Vics are in the metric section.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes Vic is considered a metric, but that is not the point I am trying to make, as there is nothing wrong with a Metric cruiser. My point is that the rider in the commercial is suppose to be made of money, but the bike he rides is very vanilla. No custom paint or aftermarket add ons. Seems to make their point, somebody could find him a custom build, Big Dog, CVO, Ness or anything more flashy than a C50 or VTX. For that matter a Fury would work.

AGAIN, nothing wrong with a Metric, but how many riders do you know that -if you gave them a lot of money- would be riding a low cost bike in stock configuration?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The metric label has to do with the tooling of the bike. The US, Burma and Liberia are listed as the only three countries that have not adopted metric as their single standard. Victory is metric due to the 1975 Metric Conversion Act. Products already being made in the US were allowed to opt out. They had to show some sort of hardship cause to avoid changing but that has not been unilaterally enforced in all sectors as some just resist change.

In some circles the "Jap" bike name was a derogatory ID by those who didn't know enough about them to tell the difference. The quality of the bikes coming to North America soon proved them to be a superior product functionally and they were going to continue to increase in numbers despite the US tariffs. The metric term came from suppliers who recognized the size of the market and didn't want to offend all the Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki riders. Metric was a more politically correct term that groups them for some to more easily understand. Riders within that group can certainly differentiate between the manufacturers and models so it's really a non-issue to most.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Someone did take notice of the song. I read some articles of people that were offended because they use the Allman brothers song "Midnight Rider". Duane Allman and Berry Oakley were both killed on Motorcycles, so some said it was insensitive.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Someone did take notice of the song. I read some articles of people that were offended because they use the Allman brothers song "Midnight Rider". Duane Allman and Berry Oakley were both killed on Motorcycles, so some said it was insensitive.
Was that a local "Georgia thing"? Growing up in Macon in the late 60s, I remember that well, along with Otis Reddings plane crash. I never thought about that until you said something. I guess some are go to be offended even if Duane was long gone by the time Greg and Dickie released the song.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The metric label has to do with the tooling of the bike. The US, Burma and Liberia are listed as the only three countries that have not adopted metric as their single standard. Victory is metric due to the 1975 Metric Conversion Act. Products already being made in the US were allowed to opt out. They had to show some sort of hardship cause to avoid changing but that has not been unilaterally enforced in all sectors as some just resist change.

In some circles the "Jap" bike name was a derogatory ID by those who didn't know enough about them to tell the difference. The quality of the bikes coming to North America soon proved them to be a superior product functionally and they were going to continue to increase in numbers despite the US tariffs. The metric term came from suppliers who recognized the size of the market and didn't want to offend all the Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki riders. Metric was a more politically correct term that groups them for some to more easily understand. Riders within that group can certainly differentiate between the manufacturers and models so it's really a non-issue to most.
Good info ! thumb up

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
So , in other words there is not one metric fastener on a HD ? LOL , I would almost bet my life that there are .... So I guess they just opted to be out , or did what they had to do to not be considered metric , I think I just confused myself , sorry , I do have the flu right now ....:crzy:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't forget the V Rod is a metricthumb up
I noticed the VTX right away but didn't think of it as you did.
It makes sence to me now.cheers

·
Registered
58 Posts
Its a honda stateline or interstate in the commercial isnt it? More expensive than my vegas so I am ok with him riding it in the comercial...

and as far as wrenching on a bike... so much more enjoy working on metrics.... its easier to keep track of 8mm or 10mm then 5/8th... 9/16ths... just saying....

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Lyrics

I always thought the lyircs themselves were funny...
...I don't own the clothes I'm wearing,
...And I've got one more silver dollar,

so... his clothes are made of money but he doesn't own them and silver dollars flying off would HURT! :ltr:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Little perspective on this metric thing.

Victory is a global brand. Sales are international. No standard or regulatory cudgel makes an American manufacturer tool for metric fasteners. The marketplace does. Harley and other domestic manufacturers continue to produce items that are predominantly SAE and they would have long since changed if regulations had any teeth.
On top of that, since we Americans exported our industrial supremacy for the lies of Wall Street and Washington, we get the unintended consequence of relying on imported tool and die for whatever we do continue to produce. That machinery is provided standard metric. Specifying for SAE fasteners is an added cost which is counterproductive if a significant percentage of product is going to be sold to foreign nationals who are tooled for metric.

We, Americans that is, are being sold domestic products with metric fasteners because we bought into the BS that moved our manufacturing offshore. It's just another kick in the cajones to the middle class, but it ain't because international conventions dictate what bolt we use.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts