Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week I had the need to use my AMA Roadside Assistance, following an accident that happened while attending The Leesburg Bikefest. While asleep, a drunk driver side-swept 2 cars, took out 2 mail boxes, and a fence before hitting my bike head-on that was parked "safely" in a driveway. My bike was not drive-able and I needed a tow which I ended up paying for partially out-of-pocket, in coordination with my Insurance Company. I contacted The AMA and found out that the roadside assistance insurance I had paid premiums on for the past 14 years did not tow bikes involved in accidents. The AMA roadside assistance only covers disabled motorcycles. This is not necessarily a post to slam The AMA but to make other members of this forum aware of the coverage they have if they are using The AMA for their roadside assistance. It is as much my fault not reading the fine print as the fault of The AMA telling me what wasn't covered. I have since canceled my AMA membership and added motorcycle coverage to my current AAA membership. AAA will tow a bike involved in an accident coordinating the tow with the motorcycle insurance company. I hope no member of this forum has to go through what happened to me this past weekend. I guess the statement, "buyer beware," is something we all need to consider.

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Couldn't believe what I read just now, is your bike totalled? Lucky you were not "just sitting" on your driveway polishing your bike or something like that.... Just be happy you did not get hurt by that drunken scunk

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
483 Posts
Did the driver have insurance? Should be easy to get reimbursed by them if they did.

A couple months back I picked up a nail and needed a tow. I called my insurance, which I had just switched companies, and found I didn't have roadside assistance. They still helped me get a wrecker but I paid out of pocket. The next day I called my agent and asked why I didn't have it as I thought I had the same features as with my previous policy. He apologized and sent me a check for half the tow. That is he sent a personal check to make up for the misunderstanding. I thought that was pretty good service.

I'm glad you weren't on the bike but I know it sucks regardless. How is the bike overall?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The accident took place at 4am while I was asleep, so no injuries to me personally. The bike currently is fixable based on what the claims adjustor told me yesterday. They have not started taking it apart yet so as long as the frame itself is intact, I'll be riding it again. The insurance company on the car who hit me has already contacted my insurance company. I am very thankful for my safety and the level of excellent service I am receiving from my insurance company. Although the AMA Roadside Assistance didn't help, I met a nice couple who watched my bike for a day before it was picked up by the tow company.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I joined AMA mainly because of the roadside assistance. I have not had to use them yet (and hopefully won't) but I have not been to impressed with them from the get go. I had a lot of trouble just trying to join because I don't give my credit card to anybody over the phone, internet, or mail if I don't have to so I tried to join by just writing them a check. It took a lot of jumping through hoops top get that done. There "member discounts" are not that great and have a lot of fine print involved so that basically you don't get the discount you think you are getting. I have also contacted them multiple times to take me off of their email list but after a year they still keep sending me crap so I just blocked them. I did the 3 year membership but I doubt I will renew.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I've been an AMA member for about 20 years now, mostly because someone has to lobby for us, keep an eye on politicians, etc. Along the same lines, I've been a member of the Motorcycle Riders Foundation ( Motorcycle Riders Foundation ) for about a decade now. I don't agree with all the positions these two organizations take, but we need all the help we can get, in terms of looking out for our rights.

When the AMA added its towing -- included when you auto-renew -- I went that route, and dropped the towing add-ons that I had had on my bike and car insurance policies.

I've used the AMA assistance three times now. In 2013, I ran out of gas in TX (only time I've done that, on any bike), and a truck came with gas. In 2014 (I think it was), my wife was out shopping in the winter, and the car battery bit the dust; she got a jump start, and I replaced the battery. Remember that the AMA's assistance applies to all family members, and all vehicles. And last summer, my XCT stalled and wouldn't start; got a flatbed truck to come (and the next day, the dealer that the bike was towed to told me that -- argh! -- it was a loose battery bolt ... which I could've fixed myself).

So I've had okay dealings with them. It's news to me that this doesn't cover accidents -- thanks for that info, @JJKJR. Not sure what I'll do about that, but it's good to be aware of that limitation. Being retired, I usually have the time to read fine print, but I'm not sure I ever even saw the written policy from the AMA.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
JJKJR,

A real bummer about your CC, I trust it will be repaired and back on the road asap. As far as AMA goes, yes sir, their roadside program is very disappointing. I've had AAA RV Plus for many years as that plan includes motorcycle towing up to 200 miles.

Please keep us posted on the outcome of your Victory. The parts availability to repair yours will speak volumes for the rest of us as well.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
JJKJR, I hope your bike gets back on its feet soon and you are wise to dump that AMA junk and get AAA. For decades, I have carried AAA Plus as it extends the towing/help miles and also includes motorcycles - even the motorcycles of those you are riding with. My AAA policy has helped a couple buddies get motorcycle specific flatbed rides back to their homes without cost to me or them. Its not cheap, but we get our $ worth in maps, tour books, and travel agent help and discounts.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Drunk driving seems to be a problem here in Florida. The tool that nearly killed me was suspected of being drunk. He did look right at me before deciding to hit me. I know he saw my bright lights....I could see him looking at me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
483 Posts
Not very long ago I followed a drunk after getting done at the gym on my bike. He was all over the place bouncing off curbs and punching it randomly. I followed from a safe distance until I ran across a deputy in a parking lot and was able to get him stopped. He was gonna hurt somebody and this was in the middle of the day.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Not very long ago I followed a drunk after getting done at the gym on my bike. He was all over the place bouncing off curbs and punching it randomly. I followed from a safe distance until I ran across a deputy in a parking lot and was able to get him stopped. He was gonna hurt somebody and this was in the middle of the day.
I wish FHP would have stopped this guy before I became his target. Nobody knows how I survived and was lucid. I answered all of their questions and everything while they were scraping me off the interstate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Personally I think it's a little harsh to fault a "roadside assistance service" for not towing a wrecked vehicle under their coverage. As for AMA towing I have other issues but that's another story.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Personally I think it's a little harsh to fault a "roadside assistance service" for not towing a wrecked vehicle under their coverage. As for AMA towing I have other issues but that's another story.
I felt the OP was making an attempt to inform others rather than talk bad about AMA.

However, I do think it kinda crappy they didn't help. I would get it if you were in your home town but while on the road I feel like the coverage should cover you.

This got me checking into the AAA RV Plus plan. There are many things that can happen on a road trip when your bike is parked. It would be nice to know the benefits you are paying for could be used.

I would certainly be disappointed if while on a road trip I stop for a drink and piss and have a person hit my bike in the parking lot making it inoperable just to find out my roadside assistance won't help and deny things it states I have like vacation interruption insurance, one day rental car, and a tow home.

Having needed a tow recently and paying over a hundred bucks the AAA RV Plus seems like a no brainer, especially if it covers my wife and other vehicles.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is not necessarily a post to slam The AMA but to make other members of this forum aware of the coverage they have if they are using The AMA for their roadside assistance. It is as much my fault not reading the fine print as the fault of The AMA telling me what wasn't covered.
Hey Dan, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I guess you and I differ. I took the above quote from my initial post. Not only did I state that I didn't post this topic to "slam" the AMA, I also took part of the blame for not reading the fine print. My whole purpose in posting this topic was as a means of information for the members of this forum who might also have AMA roadside assistance and not know (like I didn't) that it doesn't coverage roadside assistance following an accident. Rather than only posting what didn't work, I took the initiative and posted an alternative towing option through AAA, that would tow a bike involved in an accident. I'm sure the members of this forum will decide for themselves which organization they'll trust to provide their roadside assistance, independent of our opinions.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Hey Dan, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I guess you and I differ. I took the above quote from my initial post. Not only did I state that I didn't post this topic to "slam" the AMA, I also took part of the blame for not reading the fine print. My whole purpose in posting this topic was as a means of information for the members of this forum who might also have AMA roadside assistance and not know (like I didn't) that it doesn't coverage roadside assistance following an accident. Rather than only posting what didn't work, I took the initiative and posted an alternative towing option through AAA, that would tow a bike involved in an accident. I'm sure the members of this forum will decide for themselves which organization they'll trust to provide their roadside assistance, independent of our opinions.
I get it. Please don't take what I said as a slam as it wasn't intended that way. In all reality I never really thought about having a roadside service of any brand towing any vehicle involved in a wreck. I guess I never thought that the service was designed for that type of tow. I've always called a separate tow company and my insurance covered the bill. Of is a 4 wheeler and it was drivable I drove it back home. Then insurance towed from my home. As for the AMA MoTow program I have had issues calling for service. When calling HOG's tow service there was never a problem and I believe the both use Road America. Either one will let you upgrade to a full blown program that will tow up to an RV for condiderably less than AAA. I had Victories towing for one year and what a joke. So maybe AAA is worth it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I'm just glad the varmit that KO'd you scoot had insurance. Sadly that is not the case most times here in Fla.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I'm just glad the varmit that KO'd you scoot had insurance. Sadly that is not the case most times here in Fla.
Or here in TN. TN just started requiring buy law that a motorist even have liability insurance about 10 years ago.

·
Registered
483 Posts
We have the same problem. Too many illegals driving around with no DL, insurance, or registration. Usually they buy a vehicle used with a good sticker and then drive it until they wreck it. They then run off from the scene and we have no way of tracking them down since many times they are not documented anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
good for you. lasty year some punks cut me off and then flashed a gun at me. so i dropped back ( i was in my truck) called police, gave them a description and plate number of the car and stayed back while. Then the responding cop ( state Police) got on the line with me and asked the location.. i told him where i was and how far ahead he was. So...... the cop told me to pull over and stop NOW.. they were going to take care of it. So i did and watched the fun. they blocked him in and I have not seen that much fire power since Viet Nam. LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts