Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my AMA magazine this month to see Arnold Schwarzenegger on the cover. He signed into law the biggest bill affecting motorcycles that will be as far reaching as any legislation has ever been. All motorcycles built after 2013 in CA are required to have an EPA label on the exhaust that it meets the federal sound standard. This law over time effectively takes loud pipes off the streets. This will have a ripple effect throughout the industry that may cause some after market pipe manufacturers to exit the industry. California accounts for a lot of bikes sold each year. The article goes on to say that what happens in CA cab and does ultimately spread to the rest of the country.

AMA has long argued that if "we don't police ourselves, then the government would and we wouldn't like the results". The saying "Loud pipe saves lives" has just been changed to "loud pipes lose rights"

I am neither for or against this legislation as I ride both a quiet bike and a louder bike. Just giving you members a heads up of what we have to look forward to.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow

He's such a douche, and the AMA has turned it's back on riders. The AMA has just become yet another bloated special intrest bent only on profiting those at the top
Why don't you tell us what you really think? Wow man, It is quite obvious you haven't done much research about the AMA. They are always fighting for the rights of Motorcycles since the beginning of time. They are reporting what they have been preaching for years. Either WE do something about loud pipes or the government will. Don't shoot the messenger.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
The law takes effect for bikes built after 2013. So you can still make your 2011 or even 2012 model as loud as you wish.

I have no problem with it, as a matter of fact, I do believe some pipes out there are too loud. The thing that worries me is that we're seeing laws limiting our liberties. While this is not a big deal (in my opinion) at this time, it might be a big deal later, if say, a new law comes around and limits us to ride silent, electric motors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts