• Jesse James

Votes: 20 51.3%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you watched American Choppers who do think won? I feel that Senior didn't get the memo that they were to build a bike.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Double J. thumb up

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ugh, this show has gone off the rails.

If I had to pick one, it would be JJ's bike. He built the only real bike, IMO. He's a major douchebag, but he does have a point about OCC and PJD and the bikes they build. Someday someone will have to explain how either of these guys would be in business, especially without the TV show.

Also, it's funny how the only guys that seemed to have fun with it were the guys at OCC. JJ and PJ were too busy talking about how wonderful and amazing everything they touch is. :crzy:

"Reality" indeed..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Seems Jesse is the only one that truly builds a motorcycle. His only problem is when his mouth is open.
IMO it's by far the most beautiful bike. I'm getting older cause I can't stand that high steering tree. When it showed him riding it at the end of the show, he's having to lean left and right and stretch to try and see the road through that tree, would drive me crazy.

Juniors bike is nice, but like all the bikes..........."we just received the frame from blah blah, we just received the swingarm from blah blah, we just received the front end from blah blah......"

OCC's machine? No idea what they're thinking.

·
13,047 Posts
The only one that won was the Discovery channel selling advertising space.
All 3 of them are showmen or Sanford and son if you prefer. If there was some bashing from JJ it wouldn't be him. As for the other two if they didn't hire good designers and quality staff they would not even have a show.
JJ builds what hes known for and if asked the shops around here the would tell you about all the warranty work they have done in the past on his bikes.
Jr only knows hot to build bikes that look good on a poster or in a lobby's. Wounder how much it coast to rent that plain and tow it to his shop.
As for Senior he has lost it when the two split. But was that a ploy cause they were loosing popularity and the TV show was going to be canceled. After all the two would have to go back to selling steal and there fancy cars and house would be gone along with there over inflated egos.

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
R.I.P Indian Larry. You are truly missed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What a show

It was fun to watch but I didn't see a bike I could ride. It is sure concerning how people believe that Juniors bike was best. The only contestent with anything close to a real bike was James and I doubt I could reach the bars.

·
Registered
229 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would NEVER own a bike built by any builder other than myself.A custom bike SHOULD be for and by the owner.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I posted this on one of my other bike forums....

So I just sat down and watched the full 3 hours off my DVR, and felt compelled to toss in my .02 cents...

Read a LOT of comments on various forums about how people felt about the bikes and the people behind them, and in some cases I agreed, but I don't think most people looked at it beyond a popularity contest.

Senior's build:

Ok, there's just no way they took this exercise seriously. I mean, wtf... a flame-throwing snowmobile? This was a bike buildoff to compete with other bike makers and try to back up the reputation you attempt to make for yourself... why go so far outside of the box??

It was technologically advanced beyond what they normally do, but irrelevant to the contest.

OCC proved once again that they are the best at what they do. Outsource to others who are proficient in their craft, deliver something that doesn't hit the mark, and take credit for building it. Instead of making it themselves, they bring in a company who makes electric motors, and had another company build the frame. They slapped on a bunch of body panels and called it an OCC creation.

And it just failed. Sure, flamethrowers are cool. That part appealed to the kid in all of us, but they have no place on a....whatever it was supposed to be.... the tracks were f'in stupid. The whole thing bounced and vibrated in so many ways, every body panel flopped around like it was made by Playskool.

Above and beyond everything else, they built something that's not even street legal for a bike buildoff. Fail from the word go IMO.

I believe that they knew they could not possibly go head to head with the likes of Jesse James and come out on top, so they threw the fight.

Junior's build:

While I'm no particular fan of any of the Teutuls (we have friends in common, and ohhhh the stories I could share), I believe that the split allowed Junior to come into his own. This bike aside, I believe Junior has turned out some impressive work over the last year and a half, and lost a bit of his huge ego. He seems more grounded, and thankful for what he has now.

That being said, this was the wrong bike for the competition. It looked like a donk.

Something like the Cadillac CTS-V bike or Dekalb bike would have been more appropriate considering he knew what types of bikes his competition would likely create.

The workmanship on the bike was very, very impressive, I just believe as a whole he missed the mark. Normal sized wheels would have made it look tons better, and a nice paint scheme with PAINTED rivets would have created a cleaner look. The real rivets were far too distracting and took away from the overall look. Had he done a 3D digital rendering beforehand, I think he would have realized this. The ideas of the landing gear theme and smoking exhaust were really good (the exhaust really did kick ass, and was the best part IMO), but he still has an issue with taking design too literally, simply mimicking the thing that inspired his theme.

I liked his approach overall by not talking as much smack, staying somewhat humble, and I believe the credit he gave his team and his insistence on having them on stage with him speaks volumes for his character. This impressed me, and makes me think he has grown up a lot lately.

Sadly, he still relied on someone else to build his frame, and in the end lived up to the 'cake decorator" stigma that Jesse attached to both he and OCC.

Jesse's build:

What can you say that Jesse himself didn't already say? He doesn't build "theme bikes", his theme is "motorcycle" and that's what he built. Still, I feel something along the lines of an El Diablo would have been more impressive, but it was the most "normal" of all the offerings in the show.

But overall it looked kind of generic, and something you could see at most any large bike event. As a complete project, it didn't stand out or "wow" you. The beauty really was in the details, which weren't really covered well in the show. He did of course build his own frame. And damn... it was stainless steel... which is extremely difficult to do. He should have won based simply on this. His tank was the usual flawless, seamless masterpiece he is known for creating. It wasn't see-through, it wasn't 3 feet long, it didn't light up or hold goldfish or anything... but it was a beautifully built tank with nice lines. The rear fender was also typical JJ clean and flowed well with the theme. I loved the art-deco imperial lady on the lower frame, but it got no airtime on the show, and most people missed it. IMO it was very "57 Chevy" hot rod inspired, and I dug that. He took raw steel in sheets and bars and created a freakin motorcycle from it... THAT is what a $100,000+ bike SHOULD be in my opinion.

Sure people are giving him hell for his chest-thumping revelations of how he would build it from scratch by himself and in the end he enlisted help from a whole crew... but those same people fail to see a few points about this. He did NOT contract other companies to build entire portions of the bike, he enlisted the help of HIS OWN CREW, not unlike OCC having all of their crew working on a project... but unlike OCC he didn't order parts or whole sections from another company, JJ kept all the work in-house. The other part is that all of the crafstmanship was done by him solely. And the only reason he fell behind enough to need others was because he had to build the springer front end TWICE due to the first one becoming unusable, that took up the extra time. But look at that front end... it may look generic at a distance, but it was a true masterpiece of design and construction.

I loved his trash talking, some of those things needed to be said publicly to put the Teutuls in their place IMO. And while I love Jesse's "FU attitude" (he's a chopper maker, not a babysitter), his ego is still far too enormous. Yes, he is talented, yes he is a REAL bike maker, but he makes a Jesse James bike more about Jesse James than the bike and that's a damn shame.

In the end I believe Juniors was more rideable (aside from the ridiculous 30" wheels and 1 gallon fuel capacity) because on Jesse's bike... he couldn't even see the road without leaning off the side of the bike. Neither of them made a seat you'd want to plant your ass on for more than a trip around the parking lot though. If the front end of Jesse's bike had been somewhat normal, and had a cushioned seat, it would have been a clear winner by definition of a street-legal, rideable bike.

If I were riding to Daytona, I'd rather be seen on Jesse's bike, I'd just hate to deal with him on a personal level to contract the build. I think he'd be a cool dude to hang out with, but any discussion of business or his reputation... and it's all ego. Plus from those I know who have had bikes built by him.. he's known to be rather "difficult" and can never meet a deadline, or give you a clear idea of what it is you're paying for until it is built. And even then... you'd better hope you can live to love it because that's what you're getting. It's about how HE wants the bike to come out more than what you, the customer wants.

Luckily, in the real world, off of television, we have a million great bike builders out there who create amazing works of art (and most do it for a fraction of the price), so its not like you have only these guys to choose from. With their colorful personalities, interesting, (albeit usually useless) designs, and flare for the dramatic, all of these guys are perfect for entertaining TV, but I'd rather spend my money on getting a bike that "I" want, built to make ME happy, and actually be fun to ride.

In all honesty it seems to me like the only reason this show happened was because Jesse needs to get back into the business. He wrecked West Coast Choppers, wrecked his personal life, hasn't built a single bike in 5 years... and needed to regain some popularity and tell the world he was going to build bikes again. This was good advertisement. Sr obviously didn't take this seriously, and Jr said he almost didn't do it because he had too many customer orders to work on... this was a Jesse-driven event. Most of the commentary revolved around (and came from) Jesse, it was his platform... he desperately needs the boost to make a living now.

Cliff's Notes version: Jesse James' bike sucked the least

·
Premium Member
4,894 Posts
Paulie could sketch up the bike and e-mail the sketches to his team and subcontractors. They could then build the bike. He is basically a design consultant... an idea man. His creations look great in the lobby of some corporation's offices to be viewed by clients while sipping a latte.

Jesse takes an idea from tubing and sheets of metal to a completed bike with his own hands. His bikes look their best when viewed in front of a strip club after a few shots of tequila.

Paulie's bike won because these days the latte crowd far out-numbers the strip club and tequila crowd.

To make Jesse's bike a rider would be simple. Those tall risers can go away, and a police bike solo seat would work nicely.

Higher seat, lower bars... ridable now.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Seniors project was completely out to lunch, Juniors beautiful but supremely impractical, Jesse built a rideable beautiful bike if the steering head wasn't so damn high.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
With Bandit's and Half_Crazy's post I feel like I didnt miss a thing that night... Great write up and Pics.. Thanks to all the post, I wanted to see that but glad I spent the time elsewhere... thumb up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts