Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought some here might be interested.

What could be more American than a Chevrolet Camaro? The answer might surprise you: A study by American University's Kogod School of Business found that the Toyota Camry (78.5%) and the Honda Accord (76%) both contain more domestic content than the Chevrolet Camaro (68%), which barely edges out the Hyundai Santa Fe Sport (67.5%) and the Kia Sorento (67%).

The fact is, we live in a brave new world where "American" cars are built in Korea, "German" cars originate in Mexico and "Japanese" cars come from the good old US of A. But that's not all—parts for cars assembled in America often come from abroad. That means the cars in a city crowded with GM, Ford and Chrysler products might be less American than one filled with Toyotas and Hondas.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Yup , you are correct . Its SAD .:(

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts
Almost correct the Japanese brought along their manufacturers to the USA and set up cooperate offices and manufacturing here so in a way it's American made except by a Japanese owned company. Twist there.

They choose regions with low per hour rates to set up shop.

I remember the way Toyota spoke of Americans in the 80 as lazy and unproductive and that's a crock of ****.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Almost correct the Japanese brought along their manufacturers to the USA and set up cooperate offices and manufacturing here so in a way it's American made except by a Japanese owned company. Twist there.

I remember the way Toyota spoke of Americans in the 80 as lazy and unproductive and that's a crock of ****.

Mercedes is made in Alabama and then shipped to Germany.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Not really Vin. The captives (as they used to be called) set up shop in rural areas where people had a good work ethic, good values and are anti union. To keep the union wolf from their doors, they pay above union wages. Granted, I'm going on old info here, so things might have changed in recent years.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Not really Vin. The captives (as they used to be called) set up shop in rural areas where people had a good work ethic, good values and are anti union. To keep the union wolf from their doors, they pay above union wages. Granted, I'm going on old info here, so things might have changed in recent years.

They definitely pay above union wages here. Alabama is a right to work state and Tuscaloosa has about the lowest unemployment in the state. Mercedes has expanded twice in the last five years and just recently brought their M-class here to begin construction. They make two models here that they only sell in Germany.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts
You may very well be right I just remember when they first opened in Texas where my nephew is a maintenance worker was because of wages. He makes a great living but not union pay, his words.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I read where a bunch of Americans are joining ISIS.

I could go on and on!

Where is Fiji? I want to live there.

DP- from a person who lived in Fiji, trust me Haiwai is so much better.....actually totally awesome IMHO.

Castaway was filmed in Fiji if that helps :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
DP- from a person who lived in Fiji, trust me Haiwai is so much better.....actually totally awesome IMHO.

Castaway was filmed in Fiji if that helps :)

Hey Kris
You are a man of the world!

I've holidayed in both. Would gladly go back to Hawaii, but Fiji, less so.

I'm in Cairns at the moment, not riding but it is sure nice riding country up here, and Cairns itself feels a bit like Hawaii I reckon.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Hey Kris
You are a man of the world!
I've holidayed in both. Would gladly go back to Hawaii, but Fiji, less so.
I'm in Cairns at the moment, not riding but it is sure nice riding country up here, and Cairns itself feels a bit like Hawaii I reckon.
Hey Dave
Nice mate- its fking freezing down here! Go say hello to my mum for me- she's in a Whitfield nursing home :)
You should hire a bike mate a do the Port Douglas coast ride- sweet as.
Catcha soon mate thumb up

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hey Dave

Nice mate- its fking freezing down here! Go say hello to my mum for me- she's in a Whitfield nursing home :)

You should hire a bike mate a do the Port Douglas coast ride- sweet as.

Catcha soon mate thumb up

Cheers
Will go for a Victory lads ride when it gets warmer

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
Yepper. A global economy at work. In many ways we benefit from it. Look at the S. Korean Hyundai and Kia's. Ten year and 100k mile warranty. No auto maker in America has that kind of warranty and they are on par with the Honda cars.

Like someone said, Vin maybe, even though they are assemble wherever doesn't mean they are really that percentage made in that particular country. In the USA the tariffs mandated a change in how off shore businesses were going to do business in the USA. Kinda redundant I know but that's how it is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts