Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
142 Posts
That's a pretty cool show.Thanks for the link.thumb up

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
I watched the episode about John Paul Jones, whom I idolize as my hero and role model. He's one of the reasons I joined the Navy. If the accuracy of the other episodes are like this one, he is one Harley rider who needs to read up on his US history. Jones had two enemies to fight; the Brits and the Continental Congress, who screwed him out of the Ranger and left him high and dry in France. Due to his love of America, he volunteered to buy (with money from Franklin's French mistress) the condemned merchantman which he named the Bonne Homme Richard, after Franklin and outfitted it for battle with arms and crew he also purchased. Then he went off to do battle with British ships in English ports. Even after succeeding at that, Congress would have none of him and eventually Katherine the Great of Russia hired him as the Commodore of her fleet. He died in Europe was not buried here until Naval historians realized that Paul Jones was the originator of many things, such as fair discipline, regular sail and gun drills, etc. and now call him the Father of the American Navy and gave him his due place in US history. Lesson over, at ease.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts