Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently stopped by my nearest Victory dealer to get a price quote on my upcoming 5K mile service. I was asked if I wanted to upgrade to Amsoil at this service since that was when most customers were making the switch. My initial thought was pleasant surprise since I'm an Amsoil fan but didn't want to cause potential warranty issues or excuses down the road.
But then my confusion set in when I was told that they would be putting in the 20w-50 Amsoil in instead of what the Amsoil website recommends (10W-40). My response was, "I thought 10W-40 would be the better weight." He replied, no,no, that oil is too thin. Sooo, if my dealer insists on either putting in 20W-50 Amsoil or the Victory oil, which is the better option?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I think I would find another dealer. If they don't understand that we run our bikes on the higher number and just start them in cold weather on the lower number, they don't understand much about oils. What do they understand on other subjects?

·
12,970 Posts
First off you should wight till you have a good 1500 miles on your bike before going to a synthetic oil. Rings and valves need time to seat in.
10/40 is a great weight and it will cool your motor just fine.
If you go to the top of the page and click on forum way down at the bottom is oil site and you will have a month of reading there.

If you have a fleet farm in your town you can get Amsoil cheaper there then any dealer or guy here. Use a Wix oil filter and you can save money

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
If you just run Victory Oil & filter you know you won't have any problems. Its not like Vic oil is that expense.
That's somewhat true. You can also say that a Vic engine only ticked 200,000 miles on AmsOil (RoadKill's 1999 V92C) and not on Vic oil. ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
That's somewhat true. You can also say that a Vic engine only ticked 200,000 miles on AmsOil (RoadKill's 1999 V92C) and not on Vic oil. ;)
Do we know it wouldn't of ran that long on vic oil?
To many variables to know.
Except a Harley never would of on any oil. Lol

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Yeah, this is why oil is one slippery subject. Makes for wonderful forum fun though. cheers

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Service techs, service managers, parts guys....they got these opinions. Those opinions do not necessarily reflect fact and are often the result of propagating old wive's tales. I'm not going to interject opinions here, so here are facts:

Neither viscosity will damage the bike. Either is acceptable.

If you have to change viscosities, LOWERING the cold weight (in this case from 20w to 10w) is typically recommended. These oils flow easier at low temp and still offer the same protection at operating temp, which can help reduce wear from cold starts.

Amsoil recommends 10w-40 in the Vic motor (confirmed to me by Bob the Amsoil guy himself), and I'd trust them before some dealership greasemonkey's opinion

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Service techs, service managers, parts guys....they got these opinions. Those opinions do not necessarily reflect fact and are often the result of propagating old wive's tales. I'm not going to interject opinions here, so here are facts:

Neither viscosity will damage the bike. Either is acceptable.

If you have to change viscosities, LOWERING the cold weight (in this case from 20w to 10w) is typically recommended. These oils flow easier at low temp and still offer the same protection at operating temp, which can help reduce wear from cold starts.

Amsoil recommends 10w-40 in the Vic motor (confirmed to me by Bob the Amsoil guy himself), and I'd trust them before some dealership greasemonkey's opinion
Yes! What Luciferiad says makes perfect sense. 10/40 is the correct oil for your bike. As stated by Amsoil. There is absolutely no reason ever to go to a heavier weight oil. Victory Says 40 weight and forget about the 20 part. That was a marketing plot to be exclusive so you buy Vic oil.

My results with Amsoil has been worth the extra $8.00 it costs me over the Victory kit. Smoother operation thru out the motor and trans. 10 degree cooler running temp and better resistance to shearing.

I'm surprised your dealer offered the switch. My dealer wont use anything but Vic's oil.

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
I rode a 1979 AMF Shovelhead 167,000 miles on H/D straight weight 50 and it took me 19 years to do it. Bike only stranded me when I ran it out of gas. It didn't make 200,000 I admit but that's a lot of miles for any motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
straight wt = no breakdown

early harleys were quite loose, my 70 bonneville similar, both leaked at the cases "marked their spot" and hardly clearances were that it needed a 50 wt, oil was getting "changed" constantly. straight wt dino oils do not break down but lubricate poorly at start up, guessing it would not start at colder temps. oils + motorcycles have evolved thankfully!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Don't be too certain of that:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/forwood/bike2.shtml

"There were no Harley-Davidson dealers in the regions of Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Iran, and it was unreasonable to carry enough oil for changes along the way so Harley-Davidson USA were contacted and they advised the use of high grade diesel oils as an alternative (which have been used ever since). An oil change in the desert of Iran, simply dumping the used oils on a turnout, as is the custom in this country. A more environmentally friendly procedure developed for subsequent oil changes. The oil drained into kitchen tidy plastic bags, doubled up in case of leaks. This is then poured into the new oil's container, after the oil change, and disposed of thoughtfully. This usually meant giving it to one of the many onlookers who probably used it in an old car or piece of machinery."

·
Registered
108 Posts
I put amsoil in mine (20-50) it did not like it. Clutch slipped bad! Back on vic oil. Now amsoil recommends 10-40 and if u wanted to try it thats the viscosity I would use.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
7600 miles so far on Amsoil 10/40. No problems. Tranny shifts so much better. Motor seems to like it also evident by the fact that I seldom go over 200 degrees in temp and 230 in traffic.

I don't know why some report issues when switching from Vic oil. Its all BS that full synthetics cause clutch slippage but what can you say when it happens right after switching other than the clutch had problems to begin with. If you go back to Vic oil and it stops slipping then I would stay with Vic oil. I switched to Amsoil early in my motors life. Right around 5k. So far I have done 2 Amsoil changes and plan on changing every 5k from here on out. The 2nd change I noticed more improvement than the first which Bob the Amsoil guy said I would. I think a lot of clutch slippage has to do with poorly adjusted clutch cables from the get go and that has caused excessive wear to a still operable clutch. As long as you stay with a semi syn oil and catch that poor adjustment and correct it then you should see a normal clutch life. I have been anal about my bike maintenance since I bought it. The first thing I did was adjust that clutch with plenty of free play to keep from wearing it prematurely. Probably the reason I have no issues using Amsoil.

If ever do start slipping the first thing I will do is install a better clutch and throw that Amsoil right back in there. The benefits of the oil out weigh the future cost of the clutch upgrade to me.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Oh boy an Oil Thread!:ltr:

How about I throw in wrench here!

Lately in researching I've discovered many bikers are switching to Turbo Diesel Motor Oil.

The theory is, is that diesel motors are much much harder on oil and the detergent package and the shear strength for gears has to be much higher. Concensus is with our transmission sharing motor oil that this oil is better to use in motorcycles.

·
Registered
545 Posts

Lately in researching I've discovered many bikers are switching to Turbo Diesel Motor Oil.

The theory is, is that diesel motors are much much harder on oil and the detergent package and the shear strength for gears has to be much higher. Concensus is with our transmission sharing motor oil that this oil is better to use in motorcycles.
I've been debating switching in that direction.

2000 V92SC
Middle Tenn
it ain't stock...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts

Ok. Another oil thread but you bit. So the companies that make a higher quality MC specific oil are doing something wrong? C'mon man! We are talking about money here right? Another oil thread that says pay more and you get more? Use your Diesel oil in your Motorcycle. Its ok! Really! Stick with Vic oil, mobil 1, Spectro? **** I don't care. I'm just trying to help those that are considering the switch and sharing my own personal experience.

I will pay more to the guy that tested and developed his oil for my bike and based his formula on the best interest of my investment. Why because he wants to prove he has the right product for me. So far I'm convinced.

These oil threads are really about the money when it comes down to it. No secret as to what diesel oil costs. Better watch out though. If Rotella gets word that their oil is being used in motorcycles the price may go up or they may develop a new label that states for "motorcycle" use only. don't worry cause the diesel will still work just fine.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Why are people complaining about an oil thread in the oil and lube section? Isn't that the point of having an oil and lube section?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
oil-$$$

for sure the bottom line is profit $$$$. Vic oil was prolly formulated by whoever to be a useable oil in our bikes while allowing a good profit for VIC. like hardly's screamin chicken oil that was formulated after they tried to discredit real synthetics like Amsoil. Amsoil reportedly challenged Hardly to put in writing that it voids warranty, of course Hardly is no fool, if you can't beat join them hence "synthetic" screamin chicken oil for big $$$$. Vic's oil although cheaper is cheaper to make being semi-synthetic which allows oils lower than group III to be used, read where at least 30% "synthetic" is required by law, not so sure as no one openly states the ratio on the container, of course the add pack is very important. read in a 2012 mag performance bikes where it takes a LOT of crude oil from which one molecule ONLY is taken for group IV PAO oils, Decene + its the only one used which as advertised all oil molecules being the same reduces friction along with many other superior properties. if you want cheap rotella 15-40 diesel + a wix filter changed yourself at 2500 miles is prolly a decent option

1 - 20 of 94 Posts