Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd see if anyone else has had this issue. I've been pretty fortunate in general to always be pretty comfortable on the bikes I've owned. The XC is no exception. However, I get a pretty decent "cramp" of sorts now and then on long rides. It happens on my right side on the back...just below the shoulder blade I suppose. Not really painful...but annoying and somewhat uncomfortable. When it happens seems to change. But once it does, it sticks with me for the rest of the ride and then goes away very shortly after riding.

I've been paying attention to my riding position and nothing has changed that I'm aware of. I'm 33, no back health issues (other than spasms when I was over weight about ten years ago), 6-1, 205 with a 32" inseam. Good health overall and good physical condition.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
I get those in between my shoulder blades sometimes when I'm tense. I think my poor posture has something to do with it though. I tend to slouch and let my head drop. Some folks believe that taller bars, even apes, will correct the posture and prevent the cramping. Makes sense but then there might be an issue with the hands going numb. So correct one issue and make another. :)

·
13,003 Posts
Don't know if it will help but I would get a pain in the shoulder blades so bad I couldn't move my head.
A body builder told me to put five or ten pound weights in each hand then do shoulder shurges. With arms hanging to my side raise just my shoulders. He said do about ten a time twice a day.
After a month no more pain and I haven't done them in over three years.

If that doesn't help try adjusting your bars so you sit an hold in a different position.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know if it will help but I would get a pain in the shoulder blades so bad I couldn't move my head.
A body builder told me to put five or ten pound weights in each hand then do shoulder shurges. With arms hanging to my side raise just my shoulders. He said do about ten a time twice a day.
After a month no more pain and I haven't done them in over three years.

If that doesn't help try adjusting your bars so you sit an hold in a different position.
I'm going to check my riding position and have the wife watch my posture...that could be it. As for the weights, I actually do that during every shoulder session I do, except I'm usually using about 60+ lbs for my sets. So, don't know if that'll solve it. lol

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I've had that happen on other bikes - sharp pain in my shoulder blades, but more on the right side - when doing rides of more than, say, 300 miles. The cure for me was to install bar-backs.

On my XCT, you can't do that, but you can replace the bars, and accomplish the same thing. I'm thinking of doing that, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I did do a couple of 500+ mile days, and no problems... yet.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Adam,
Your problem is most likely aggrevated by riding position so you should watch for a few things:

Do you sit straight up or slightly leaned forward?
If you are leaned forward and rest your left hand a lot while keeping your right hand on the throttle you may be slightly twisted.

Does your head bob at all from the wind:
If so you're involuntarily working your neck and shoulder muscles.

Is your head straight, tilted forward or back?
If your head is tilted forward or back you're doing the same as above. The more you think you are relaxing the more load your noggin puts on your neck and shoulders.

Do you hang your arms or rest an elbow on your knee or thigh?
Hanging your arms is neutral and shouldn't aggrevate anything but resting your arm on your leg makes you lean forward and doing it while keeping a hand on the throttle makes you twist.

Simply exercises and stretches involving your shoulders and neck will help a lot and working your core is also helpful. I'm .5" taller than you and have the same weight/inseam and I had the same problems until I put XC bars on my XR. My problem is/was increased by the facts that my neck is partially fused (3 discs) plus as of my lumbar discs are riddles with buldges and tears. For me the only tolerable position is sitting straight up because bending forward aggrevates my lumbar discs and makes me tilt my head back slightly (my neck only has about 25% movement remaining).

·
Registered
784 Posts
Posture, posture, oh and posture. Mine is along the right shoulder blade running up and down between it and my spine.
Risers, and a backrest are a good inexpensive start. If you can use risers. to get the grips closer.
Not being ugly, but how do you ride? I read some guys 5'8" griping that the CCT is too cramped for them, :confused:. I guess I like a more relaxed and upright position instead of looking like a drawn bow, but to each his own and that could really be something to look at. Do like mom used to tell us, sit up straight and hold your head up.

Good Luck

·
Registered
217 Posts
Posture, posture, oh and posture. Mine is along the right shoulder blade running up and down between it and my spine.
Risers, and a backrest are a good inexpensive start. If you can use risers. to get the grips closer.
Not being ugly, but how do you ride? I read some guys 5'8" griping that the CCT is too cramped for them, :confused:. I guess I like a more relaxed and upright position instead of looking like a drawn bow, but to each his own and that could really be something to look at. Do like mom used to tell us, sit up straight and hold your head up.

Good Luck
I am 5'8" and love the room I have on this bike! I can stretch my legs out and still keep em on the front of the floor boards. Don't need highway pegs!

Adam maybe its the wife staring daggers into you because you won't let her lead? lol

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I've had that happen on other bikes - sharp pain in my shoulder blades, but more on the right side - when doing rides of more than, say, 300 miles. The cure for me was to install bar-backs.
Ditto. Naproxen is always helpful too.

I think my problems were always due to cocking my head up while riding sportbikes. Bar risers only an inch taller made a world of difference. May be partially due to the weight of your helmet?

I've read guys on here had luck by raising their handlebars higher. Though I think that is more for lower back issues because it helps them keep from slouching.

On my XCT, you can't do that, but you can replace the bars, and accomplish the same thing. I'm thinking of doing that, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I did do a couple of 500+ mile days, and no problems... yet.
I tend to use cruise control when just bebopping down the highway. This allows a lot of freedom in changing hand positions and stretching.

·
Registered
336 Posts
While it looks like the guys have covered almost everything, thought I would add a bit.

I get this on my Harley and it is 110% related to the position I am placed in by the stock handlebars. Look at almost anyone on a stock Harley dresser and you will see that their shoulders almost roll forward. Unfortunatly, I can't change the bars because it is the work bike. After too long, my shoulder starts to get aggravated too and then I get numbness in my hand.

I was also getting back pain on my XR although to a much lesser degree....until I moved the bars up about an inch. Changes your position entirely.

Try playing around a bit with the position of the bars to see if you are getting any relief or making it better. That will help you to narrow down what direction to head in.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Wrists should be straight. Arms should have a bend to them. Take your wallet out of your back pocket and keep it out. A wallet in a hip pocket will only make your doctor and chiropractor richer.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Thought I'd see if anyone else has had this issue. I've been pretty fortunate in general to always be pretty comfortable on the bikes I've owned. The XC is no exception. However, I get a pretty decent "cramp" of sorts now and then on long rides. It happens on my right side on the back...just below the shoulder blade I suppose. Not really painful...but annoying and somewhat uncomfortable. When it happens seems to change. But once it does, it sticks with me for the rest of the ride and then goes away very shortly after riding.

I've been paying attention to my riding position and nothing has changed that I'm aware of. I'm 33, no back health issues (other than spasms when I was over weight about ten years ago), 6-1, 205 with a 32" inseam. Good health overall and good physical condition.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?
yes , yes and yes. Get a backrest and relax

·
Registered
352 Posts
Good physical shape means different things to different people. I'm a firm believer of a strong core, meaning, abs, lower back, upper back, shoulders, hamstrings. The ham strings are kind of a sleeper problem, if they are weak/tight, it'll cause all kinds of problems where you'd least expect it to. I'm a millwright, so I get stuck in some odd positions for long times, so when I do make it to the gym I focus on core strength. Plus a regiment of stretching never hurts either. Just my two pennies.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wrists should be straight. Arms should have a bend to them. Take your wallet out of your back pocket and keep it out. A wallet in a hip pocket will only make your doctor and chiropractor richer.
X2 with the wallet

Read this tip in another post, tried it, unbelievable how much of a difference it made sitting in the saddle. Even if sore area isn't near the wallet, may very well be the source of the problem.

If you ride with a wallet in the pocket, try taking it out, and see if you notice a difference.

·
13,003 Posts
I'm amazed how many guys ride and "never" adjust the bars but they bend over sit crazy to fit the bike instead of fitting the bike to them selves.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Plus another on the wallet comment!

I used to feel nekkid without my wallet and after riding a few 100 miles without it on one trip I keep it stored. Now I don't carry it in the back pocket when I'm not riding because it feels like a tumor.

In the immortal words of Arnold "it's not a tumor" but it does help you avoid a lot of aches and pains!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Al, didnt read all the replies, so may be a duplicate.

I had a similar issue, which mostly went away when i added the 2" longer handlbars. i think the "reach" on the original bars was the issue.

No idea if this might help, but......,

good luckcheers

greg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts