1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
554 Posts
I stopped trying to preach that some popping is normal a while ago because no one listens. Modified cars do it, modified bikes do it and all for the same reason. FI shuts off fuel the same way when the throttle is closed.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, if it ain't a leak its high performance lol. Even though I read it, I still think there is a problem lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I agree that a bit of poppity-pop and crackling on decel is normal because you would have to run excessively rich to get rid of all that. Backfiring is not normal. If it goes "BLAM!!!" out the pipes you need to tune that out.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But hc backfiring is out the intake side, not the exhaust Side :D

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
once tried to run a 750 CFM AFB on a Ford 460 with the stock cam and and stock cam timing.

What I had by the time I'd discovered I was 21 and stupid was burned eyebrows and pretty soon a carburetor with smaller venturis that didn't shoot fire :D

And I do the same thing with my popping exhaust I do with all the other noises my XR makes which don't sound like something breaking:

I ignore them.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Good post. Popping in the exhaust is "backfiring" and tends to be a normal side effect of mods. Poping out of the intake is called pre-ignition or detonation and is extremely bad for the engine and should not happen under any circumstances. Severe damage can result from detonation.

·
13,247 Posts
I have noticed my bike only pops out of one side the right side guess its a straighter shot.

I have all so noticed that the dew point or humidity affects the popping.

Like a smart man said don't close throttle all the way and you'll get no popping

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I know ive seen many race cars flaming and popping out the exhaust inbetween shifts. Its a performance issue not to be confused with a bad tune or lean condition. Most desired when max fuel and performance is wanted. It wont hurt a thing..but what the hell do i know I thought my KP had 20s on it.:ltr:.but in my defense the lager was tasting good when i posted that thread..But I like it when my KP pops between shifts sometimes..scares the crap out of folks..I wouldnt change a thing..It runs great

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True and the money I would've. Spent on air horns could be spent on better things like beer lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
exhaust popping

I virtually eliminated the exhaust popping from my '07 Hammer by using non ethanol gas. It was only 90 octane but does not ping even when lugged right down. The addition of the ethanol tends to make the motor run leaner, and it's the lean condition that makes it pop so much. The same results might be accomplished by richening the fuel system. Try some non ethanol fuel,if you can get it,before you start looking for leaks,or turning up your idle, you might be surprised.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I notice a difference when using REC90 as well.
Addressing the popping issue we need to understand it was always there with stock pipes. They just did a good job of keeping us from hearing it. I noticed it when my bike was stock. D&D wrapped slip-ons amplified it. a poor tune made it worse. A good tune now and it's still there but in a good sounding way and not nearly as much or as loud as some have mentioned. If you are popping a lot you are lean.

Once the mods begin their will be changes. Until you get a good fuel tuner and a good dyno tuner to dial in your intake and exhaust mods you will fight a losing battle. The timing wheel is a good bet too. Still don't expect to get rid of all the popping. Lloyds site has a good explanation of this.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
I just added +10 at zero throttle position to all RPMs except 1250 RPM and less on my Power Commander and Waa Laa decel pop gone.

·
13,247 Posts
But hc backfiring is out the intake side, not the exhaust Side :D

sounds like your VFC is set wrong you need to redo the mapping
write Rylan at the Vic shop tell him all you have done to bike and he will give you a good starting map

1 - 15 of 15 Posts