Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just bought myself a 2000 v92. Love the bike but now in reading all the posts on tranny issues everyone has had. I knew it was a problem but it seems like no one has had one of these bikes without having problems. Mine has 30,000 kms on it and the P.O. Said he had no issues with gears slipping at all. I have only rode it a bit due to weather but it seems fine. I really don't know what to do. Should I get rid of it now before I have problems?

Really love the bike and for $5000 (canadian $$$$) you can't touch another American bike in my area. I've looked at parts or fixes and nothing exsists. Even freedom motors seem almost unavailable if a guy ever did have issues. It's the biggest crock I have ever heard of, usually if a company has issues they at least sell the parts to fix em!

Another thing I can't get over is that no one has come up with an aftermarket fix!. There must be some money in that?

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

Mark.

Oh yeah. Here is my bike.....

ImageUploadedByMO Free1428537240.784052.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
537 Posts
Nice Bike!

Pre-Freedom motors were only made in 2000 and 2001 (there may have been some VIN'd as 99's). Just not enough units to justify tooling and manufacturing costs of aftermarket "fix"... which would be a transmission.

The "cush drive" that polaris came out with was only for certain VIN 2001's with a "soft" third gear. Plus, it was a cheap, bad fix. If the tranny goes bad, and it will..... the only real option is to get a later model tranny or a motor from a salvage bike.

Do you sell now? Depends on how much you love the bike. Go ride a newer Vic, then decide.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you like the bike-ride it & enjoy it. If you want to trade up- the sooner the better. If it does have issues down the road a freedom motor swap would be best.

·
13,231 Posts
If you have a bad Tranny you have to tear the motor apart and split the case to fix it. The coast of that is outrageous. So the best thing is to go buy a motor out of another bike

·
13,231 Posts
do you mean how hard is it to disassemble the motor.
or how hard is it to swap motors.

Motor would be easy. Disassemble and put back together would not be a good deal for a rookie and a shop like The Vic Shop would be your best bet but the coast would be around two thousand dollars and Rylan would tell you to look for another motor I'm sure. Not cause he can't do it hes buried in work so it might take him over a month to get it done

·
Registered
742 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's funny. In all of the posts I've seen no one has actually mentioned what part fails on these transmissions. I see that you can get parts for a 2003 vic transmission. What is it that actually goes?

·
Registered
361 Posts
My 99 had the typical 3rd gear failure around 25,000 miles- transmission was replaced under warranty with a 2003 transmission. There was some minor machine work involved. My shifting forks were cooked and the oil pump was badly scored too. If I ever have to do it again it would be an upgrade to a freedom engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It seems to me it's the shift forks that go. Assuming the gears don't get screwed as well you are looking at $400 in parts and a lot of work. Still seems feasible to me. What am I missing?

If you tear it apart I guess you have nothing to loose as, as based on the consensus here the engine is toast anyway.

I'm sorry to keep this going forever but I like to have a plan and plus it's fun to me to discuss.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i will be fixing third gear in my new v92 next week when the parts arive, i spent 40 for the gears new and only need the gaskets and seals, i will be posting a video and can email the mechanics guide to anyone who needs it, my local shop helped me out so i will pay it forward, its over 50 pages but only 20 or so are about the transmission repair.

·
Registered
31 Posts
also, the forks tend to go bad from wear, but the popping out of gear is because the 'dogs' get worn down because they wernt made from high enough grade metal to last, and when they wear, they will slip out. for those who dont know, dogs are like the teeth of a gear but on the side

1 - 20 of 21 Posts