Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know this horse has been beat to death, but I figured I would ask again.

I have a 2015 XC with round tubular highway bars. I have added the tinted Klockworks windshield. I am looking to see if anyone has added just the lower clear fairing wind deflectors (not the lower full fairings).

If you did, did you notice an improvement?

Most of the air I'm getting is from under the fairing. I eliminated all buffeting on my XC 8 ball I had previously by adding the clear fairing wind deflectors and full lower fairings, and the Madstad bracket. I'm not really wanting to do the Madstad or the full lower fairings if I can help it.

Anyone who's experimented with this, I would love to hear your experience.

Pic is attached of the wind deflectors for those who haven't seen them before.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I got them and the buffeting was slightly reduced. I decided to get the Madstad in combination with the fairing lowers and that got rid of 90+% of the buffeting. I didn't like the look, so I went with Vic hard lowers and a Windvest shield. 100% gone.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I got them and the buffeting was slightly reduced. I decided to get the Madstad in combination with the fairing lowers and that got rid of 90+% of the buffeting. I didn't like the look, so I went with Vic hard lowers and a Windvest shield. 100% gone.
I had the Madstad system and it works. I just don't care for the look. It may come down to a form over fashion issue for me.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Houston, Texas
2014 Pearl White Victory Vision Tour

·
13,262 Posts
Has anyone ever read where Vic did any wind testing on these bikes

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your welcome! I painted mine black and only use them in spring and fall. When it's hot I like the extra air movement around my upper body.
I'm definitely going to paint mine black after I give them a test run. Any reduction in buffeting at this point will be beneficial. Again, thanks!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
The lower fairing winglets reduced the buffeting noticeably on my XC.
What shield are you running? With my stock shield there was little difference. With my Windvest it was a little better, but my head was still shaking enought to blur my vision at highway speeds. BTW, I always wear a half helmet (if that matters)

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
My 11" WindVest made a big difference.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm using a klockworks flare windscreen. I also use a half helmet.

Houston, Texas
2015 XC Suede Black w/ Red Pinstripes

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
What shield are you running? With my stock shield there was little difference. With my Windvest it was a little better, but my head was still shaking enought to blur my vision at highway speeds. BTW, I always wear a half helmet (if that matters)

I am running the Ness flip... I think it's like 8". I had my seat cut down an inch or so to put me down in the "pocket" more and am only 5'9". The most noticeable improvement I have made is my toe pegs on the crash bar. They allow my feet into a most comfortable position... Straight legged toes straight up and out on a 20 degree angle. I also wear a half helmet... Smallest thinnest known to man, it's actually not even legal.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Travis were you in Drumheller riding on Sunday? Thought I saw another white cross country in my town? Wondered if it was you.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I would skip the fairing winglets if you are not going with the hard lowers , I started with those and they did nothing for me . 6'2" tall , maybe they perform different for the shorter guys . I recommend the Goody lowers , they will cure ALL the buffeting and they look awesome and Goody will paint them to match your bike for a reasonable price . Even with a Magnum screen , 2" high I had no buffeting with the Goody's at 80 MPH . Check them out !

http://www.victoryforums.com/34-victory-cross-country-cross-roads/50641-fork-mounted-lowers.html

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Ok, I know this horse has been beat to death, but I figured I would ask again.

I have a 2015 XC with round tubular highway bars. I have added the tinted Klockworks windshield. I am looking to see if anyone has added just the lower clear fairing wind deflectors (not the lower full fairings).

If you did, did you notice an improvement?

Most of the air I'm getting is from under the fairing. I eliminated all buffeting on my XC 8 ball I had previously by adding the clear fairing wind deflectors and full lower fairings, and the Madstad bracket. I'm not really wanting to do the Madstad or the full lower fairings if I can help it.

Anyone who's experimented with this, I would love to hear your experience.

Thanks in advance!
Those winglets are designed to work with the hard lowers of the Tour.....they do very little on their own. Putting them on alone, you will feel a little less buffet but don't expect a drastic change.
The hard lowers or Goody lowers eliminate buffeting, but in my case were causing massive heat issues and I could not tolerate riding with them on..There's a long thread on it in here. This lead me too experimenting like a crazy man in order to find something that worked to kill the dirty air coming under the fairing and keep me cool. What I ended up with is adding a the Vic Lock & Rice highway bar close outs for weather/wind protection. These close-outs don't eliminate the buffeting by themselves either.....The key is to block air coming "over" the highway bar. With the fairing winglets installed I found that installing a deflector to the top outside of the bar, in line with the winglet will eliminate about 90% of the buffeting. In the pics I used a National Cycle mirror deflector for the Honda GL1800. I used the strap clamp form the hard lower to mount them in the pics. I sold the hard lowers along with the clamps. This weekend I plan to permanently mount the deflectors by tapping the highway bar itself or a better clamp. Pics of the completed setup will be posted as soon as I get it done.
Besides blocking the airflow this setup also worked damn good to direct cool air flow when the deflectors are "opened".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Buffeting...the dead horse with no name. I love my 2012 XR but it took me a while to get there. I am 6'2" and had a severe buffeting problem above 60. I have read hundreds of articles about other's with similar complaints. Some helpful, but most just conjecture regarding the cause. Through trial and error experimentation, I have found the true root cause buffeting on my setup. I have found that any change to the frontal profile of the bike, helmet, or even the position of your legs effect the airflow. My bike came with the short factory windshield. Although the air hits the top of my helmet a bit, the air causing the buffeting comes from just below the windshield, hitting the tank and causing the "unstable" pocket of air. After several attempts to adjust the windshield, I bought the taller medium shield. No improvement. Tried the Cee Bailey's 23 inch shield with built-in lowers - fair improvement, but way too tall as I had to look through the shield. So, I bought the factory lowers and went back to the medium windshield - slight improvement. I began to experiment with home-made acrylic lowers on the factory mounts and found the cure! The most significant improvement is when I filled the gap below the windshield and above the factory lowers (the area just below the tank). Not only did this fix the pocket with the tall shield, even the short shield is now pleasant and allows extra cooling in the summer with no buffeting! Now I can ride for hours above 60 in a nice quiet pocket of air, hear my engine, music, etc. I love my "New" XR - no comparison to the factory setup.

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
Buffeting...the dead horse with no name. I love my 2012 XR but it took me a while to get there. I am 6'2" and had a severe buffeting problem above 60. I have read hundreds of articles about other's with similar complaints. Some helpful, but most just conjecture regarding the cause. Through trial and error experimentation, I have found the true root cause buffeting on my setup. I have found that any change to the frontal profile of the bike, helmet, or even the position of your legs effect the airflow. My bike came with the short factory windshield. Although the air hits the top of my helmet a bit, the air causing the buffeting comes from just below the windshield, hitting the tank and causing the "unstable" pocket of air. After several attempts to adjust the windshield, I bought the taller medium shield. No improvement. Tried the Cee Bailey's 23 inch shield with built-in lowers - fair improvement, but way too tall as I had to look through the shield. So, I bought the factory lowers and went back to the medium windshield - slight improvement. I began to experiment with home-made acrylic lowers on the factory mounts and found the cure! The most significant improvement is when I filled the gap below the windshield and above the factory lowers (the area just below the tank). Not only did this fix the pocket with the tall shield, even the short shield is now pleasant and allows extra cooling in the summer with no buffeting! Now I can ride for hours above 60 in a nice quiet pocket of air, hear my engine, music, etc. I love my "New" XR - no comparison to the factory setup.
Photos......

1 - 20 of 28 Posts