Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did about 200 miles yesterday with about 13 motorcycles. Most were Goldwings. There were 3 or 4 that could hear me with no problem but 1 or 2 that said they could hear me but it was breaking up or there was a lot of background noise (wind, engine noise, etc.). At one point we were seperated by a pretty good distance, but not far enough for a CB to not transmit, but the tail gunner could not hear me at all. I've seen and heard these guys transmitting for miles on their GW radios. Has anyone had any of these issues? If so, what did you do to resolve it.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
If you have made certain that all antenna connections and grounds are clean and tight, check the SWR for as close to a 1 to 1 ratio as you can get it. Sometimes, just switching everyone to a different channel is helpful too. You didn't say what channel they run. If its 1, then go to 20 or 30.

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
I do not trust others' work--double check. I put in over 40 years in my own machine repair biz and can't tell you how many times I have had to undo others work--even so called factory trained technicians. Channel 3 can be on the weak side, go up higher as I suggested.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Most likely it's your antenna if it's the stock one, buy a tunable Firestik

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Firestik-LG3M2-W-3-Foot-Firefly-Antenna/dp/B000X3D79K/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1402745418&sr=1-4&keywords=firestik+cb+antenna+kit[/ame]

and have it tuned, you be happy you did!
Click on the Amazon icon it has what will work great on your bike.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Like RICZ said, don't trust others work. Go to Radio Shack and get an SWR meter and a tuneable firestik. I tuned my own cb and in town I can go 20+ miles, top of a mountain clear LOS, 50 miles out of 4 watts.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
Like RICZ said, don't trust others work. Go to Radio Shack and get an SWR meter and a tuneable firestik. I tuned my own cb and in town I can go 20+ miles, top of a mountain clear LOS, 50 miles out of 4 watts.

Holy reception Batman, 50 miles with a motorcycle CB?!? Are you sure you have only 4 watts and not 40? I'm lucky if I'm still communicating at 1/2 mile. What have you done that gets that range?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry I didn't specify, my cb in my truck. I was trying to point out the benefit of an SWR meter to tune your whip. Yes 4 watts covered 50 miles, line of sight

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
A truck, that explains it as that has a lot of ground plane, whereas a bike has a miniscule amount. Ground plane is just as important as a well tuned antenna.

·
Registered
12,217 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I did about 200 miles yesterday with about 13 motorcycles. Most were Goldwings. There were 3 or 4 that could hear me with no problem but 1 or 2 that said they could hear me but it was breaking up or there was a lot of background noise (wind, engine noise, etc.). At one point we were seperated by a pretty good distance, but not far enough for a CB to not transmit, but the tail gunner could not hear me at all. I've seen and heard these guys transmitting for miles on their GW radios. Has anyone had any of these issues? If so, what did you do to resolve it.

Thanks!!
Just curious. What head set you using? I have 2 J&M 1 J&M premium and a stock Vic in 3 different helmets. Guess which one my ridding buddies can easily tell I was using. That Vic mic and mic connect are junk IMHO. See if your dealer has a different headset to try.

This is FYI in addition to what's mentioned and checking that antenna for the washer configuration. I'm told it can affect the swr.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had the same issues with my CB last time I was out in a group, I think some of it was the headset, some the channel and the rest tuning.

I need to double check my SWR readings but I know I read a thread on here about the stock XC mount for the antenna and the antenna grounding out. I can't locate it today though...

Stock Vic CB on an XCT, stock antenna.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Chugly.
I am looking for some instruction on how to get the plastic trunk liner out so I can see the washer set up. I am trying not to have to remove the trunk. It seems I can just remove the screws around the perimeter but I am not sure it's that easy.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Thanks Chugly.
I am looking for some instruction on how to get the plastic trunk liner out so I can see the washer set up. I am trying not to have to remove the trunk. It seems I can just remove the screws around the perimeter but I am not sure it's that easy.
Something else I was thinking is what antenna did you have installed. For example the Firestick i ordered with the non grounded plane mount has a 9 foot cable length. It warns not to trim it down as it is a tuned circuit. Just a note since the cb head is a foot away from the mount. If the cable was trimmed that could be your issue. For that you should be able to just remove the rear seat pad and the inner lining screws and lift it up enough to see a few feet of cable wrapped around the inside. Hopefully if they did not cut it they didn't wind it up in a loop and tuck it away. That's another issue if so. You may also be able to see the plastic washer stack too but I am f
Airily certain if you want the liner out the trunk is coming off. It's really not a big deal pulling. Keep us posted

1 - 16 of 16 Posts