Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first the Knoxville dealer closed, now the next closest to me in east chatt. closed. vp powersports, what is going on with the dealers? i'm beginning to worry I will have a bike with no dealer support at all.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
first the Knoxville dealer closed, now the next closest to me in east chatt. closed. vp powersports, what is going on with the dealers? i'm beginning to worry I will have a bike with no dealer support at all.
With cheap stuff readily available on the internet, people don't support them anymore. Just like buying foreign goods, we only see the benefit in saving a few dollars and fail to think about the future ramifications.

Frankly, I'm surprised there are as many dealers as there are. How does one make enough money off selling a couple dozen bikes a year on a 10% margin to support the facility and staff to take care of a local motorcycle communities needs 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year?

·
Registered
21 Posts
With cheap stuff readily available on the internet, people don't support them anymore. Just like buying foreign goods, we only see the benefit in saving a few dollars and fail to think about the future ramifications.

Frankly, I'm surprised there are as many dealers as there are. How does one make enough money off selling a couple dozen bikes a year on a 10% margin to support the facility and staff to take care of a local motorcycle communities needs 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year?
Dealers that go out of business most likely have a poor business model or bad management or both. Case in point, you mentioned taking care of rider's needs 5 days a week. Show me a bike shop that closes on Sunday and Monday, and I'll show you a bike shop that is seriously underperforming as a business. You can't build a dominant business by pretending your customers don't shop or need service and parts 29% of the week.

Rawhide HD is the second largest HD dealer(by volume) in the U.S. They have over routinely have over 400 new bikes in stock. They are closed on Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. All other days they are open for sales and service.

The problem with most motorcycle shops is that they are run by motorcycle guys rather than business men and women.

·
Registered
946 Posts
When did vp Powersport close

·
Registered
946 Posts
Ridealittle I'm planning on riding towards dale hollow dam Saturday and stopping in crossville to check out the new Vic dealer if u want to ride let me know going to meet at Kmart in sweetwater at bout 9:30 am

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When did vp Powersport close
they put notice on facebook april 1 then closed that Friday for good, I found out today when I tried to get hold of them for a stage 1 flash. the website was gone and no one answered the phone, then I found on facebook their demise.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ridealittle I'm planning on riding towards dale hollow dam Saturday and stopping in crossville to check out the new Vic dealer if u want to ride let me know going to meet at Kmart in sweetwater at bout 9:30 am
if nothing comes up i would like to ride down to the Crossville dealer sat. let me know for sure fri. thanks.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Ok
They do have a new dealer in ringgold ga that I haven't checked out yet

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Rawhide HD is the second largest HD dealer(by volume) in the U.S. They have over routinely have over 400 new bikes in stock. They are closed on Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. All other days they are open for sales and service.
That's my point. I can understand how a few large dealers serving a large area can make it. What's surprising is how many small shops there are around with 10 bikes on the floor.

We have 4 Vic dealers in my immediate area (say 60 sq miles). I'd bet together they don't sell anywhere near 400 bikes a year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's my point. I can understand how a few large dealers serving a large area can make it. What's surprising is how many small shops there are around with 10 bikes on the floor.

We have 4 Vic dealers in my immediate area (say 60 sq miles). I'd bet together they don't sell anywhere near 400 bikes a year.
Saddlebag, I think you're right on the money about small dealers having a more difficult time. The thing is, if you're a small dealer you have to adjust your business model to reflect your market position. If you've got 10 bikes on the floor, you probably only have a handful of employees, you're probably significantly leveraged, and your market position limits your potential customer base. You have to make up for those disadvantages by maximizing the advantages you do have and capitalizing on the weaknesses of your competitors.

If that means you work 7 days a week, that's what you do. If you have to offer unique services or non-standard hours that are more convenient to your customers, it better be in your plan. Very often small business owners fail or fail to grow because they are adverse to either risk or personal sacrifice or they are someone with a special interest or skill but not a lot of business acumen.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I can't believe two of the big four cities in TN do not have a Victory dealer! I've got two up here on the TN/VA line but one is new and the other is more of a lawnmower dealership. I've got to keep up with my fellow TN XR riders and get me one of those stage 1 flash thingys!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I try to support my dealers in this area. Bought a new Vision then a new windshield and exhaust tips from them. Hope the doors stay open

·
Registered
946 Posts
Ridealittle everything is a go for Saturday morning at Kmart at 9:30 am if u want to ride with us

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ridealittle everything is a go for Saturday morning at Kmart at 9:30 am if u want to ride with us
the boss says I can go, so if nothing drastic comes up i'll see you there.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Ok

I have tried calling the crossville dealer but get a recording that they are not accepting calls so I don't know if they r closed also will try calling them again after lunch

·
Registered
139 Posts

I tried to support my dealer even though he is a 2 hour ride from me. Waited for over 5 months to get a replacement (under warranty) windshield. Then, when he said he had it I rode over only to find that it was NOT the exact shield and I could not ride with it. After the mechanic put the shield on my bike, he took off to go to lunch, ON MY BIKE !! While I sat there for over an hour he was riding around. When he finally got back and I told him that was not the correct windshield he installed my old windshield, and managed to scratch the fairing in the process. And while he was out riding around his jacket zipper scratched the tank. Go back to this dealer----I don't think so. Well, he opened a store in Mobile with a real mechanic and the guy running the store is really nice. So, I guess I am still supporting the same owner but I won't go back to the store he is in. It's really hard to support a store that does not care to support the customer after the sale.

Before the Victory, over the years I have bought 4 bikes and one jet ski from my local dealer. And my son has purchased 3 bikes from them. The sales manager that sold me my Goldwing was let go because the owner hired a consultant company who said the manager made too much money. When I went back to order a new GW to replace my totaled GW they wanted MSRP for the bike. After all the years I was a loyal customer who bought parts and oil from them exclusively that's how they repaid me. So now I ride a XC.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts