Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to draw on all the experience of those guys that have done some type of exhaust mod.

I bought my '10 XC used this spring. I am looking at putting a deeper, throatier exhaust on it. When the PO bought it he had a stage 1 exhaust, tune and air intake done to it by the dealer prior to delivery. The exhaust is supposedly throatier than stock but I do not have any point of reference. I have found a local guy that is riding a '10 XR that has completely removed the baffles from his exhaust. This is a little too loud for me.

I have the original stock exhaust that was taken off of the bike by the dealer. So that helps, but being in Canada makes exhaust mods a little more expensive then in the US. A $18 US glass pack muffler is $53 up here. Availability here is limited also for some unknown reason. Even purchasing on Ebay then paying shipping and duty makes it costly. Before I travel down the road of trial and error, does anyone know if the mods being done (either build your own or Glass Pack a set of OEM) will make much of a difference compared to my stage 1 exhaust.

Also...does anyone have any experience with the Victory stage 1 tune with any of these mods. From the reading I am doing it looks like most guys are getting a third party tune to match the exhaust mods.

Any input would be great.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
There are a bunch of folks who have made their own mufflers. I personally used glass packs and stuffed them into my OEM muffler cans. I am using a Lloydz "VFC III" (Victory Fuel Controller 3) for my fueling. Nice and quiet on the highway but decent sound when you whack on it.

Basically I sliced off the end of the can, removed the baffles, jammed the glass packs in there, and re-welded the cans.

Reactions: adamnorthup

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I want to get rid of my 2 into 2 exhaust and go with a 2 into 1 exhaust ... I want less on my bike , not more .

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I want to get rid of my 2 into 2 exhaust and go with a 2 into 1 exhaust ... I want less on my bike , not more .
When are you losing the fairing, windshield, and lowers? :D :D

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Check out buywitchdoctors.com. they sell modified OE cans for pretty cheap. Gotta send your old ones back as cores though.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts

·
13,262 Posts
vindex1963

if you find what he did look on craigslist under motorcycles or look for glass packs in the auto parts. Might take a week or two to find something but you can.

by the way the baffle is on the inlet end of your mufflers

Attachments

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I have always liked the sound of Vics with Stage 1 pipes. If you are getting no, or very little decel popping and you don't want more, you need to stay with what you have.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have always liked the sound of Vics with Stage 1 pipes. If you are getting no, or very little decel popping and you don't want more, you need to stay with what you have.
I don't get any pop right now. That has been my struggle...i like they way the bike sounds now but do I spend $100-150 to get just a LITTLE louder and a LITTLE lower tone? I am trying to hit the sweet spot between my riding friends saying my bike sounds like a sewing machine and obnoxious.

Not that I care what people say...just looking to sound as good as the bike makes me feel when I am riding with a group of guys...mostly on HD's and I have to back off the throttle because I can out run almost all of them.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I ride with a lot of H-Ds and if I were you, I wouldn't be concerned what your bike sounds like cuz their bikes are silent when sitting in the shop awaiting repairs. I can't count the times the Harleys in my club were AWOL from a ride cuz of a failure of some sort. Even brand new ones.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
I ride with a lot of H-Ds and if I were you, I wouldn't be concerned what your bike sounds like cuz their bikes are silent when sitting in the shop awaiting repairs. I can't count the times the Harleys in my club were AWOL from a ride cuz of a failure of some sort. Even brand new ones.
Yeah our club has a breakdown trailer following most rides.
You don't need 3 guesses as to the make of bike most usually on it......silent.
Club is an all makes, all riders, motorcycle club, quite a few vintage bikes, old Trumps, AJS,Norton, BSA, matchless, Ariel, as well as Shovels, Pans, old Indians.
Jappas of every conceivable ilk. Ducati, Moto Guzzi and BMW.
You name it it's here!
Hence the 3 bike breakdown trailer following.
The mobile BBQ food truck is usually ahead at our lunch stop.....with lots of winding roads in between.
Yes.... Last run a modern HD was on the trailer before we even left the Kirra Sports Club carpark!

Reactions: RICZ

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
A great reason to choose a Victory over an HD .

IMG_4927.jpg

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Those are panties? Looks more like butt floss to me. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am still trying to establish what the difference is (if any) between my stage 1 pipes and:

1. jamming glass packs into my OEM stockers
2. stuffing my own with steel wool and a baffle of my choosing (Bassani)
3. witch doctors muscle baffle

Is going to any of the above going to give me a louder deeper sound without being obnoxious? If there is a difference is it enough of a difference to warrant the expense? I have watched a ton of videos and thanks to everyone who has provided sound clips and video of what they have done. But like many of you have commented...video does not do the sound justice. I find one of the biggest problems with video clips is the engine sound (gear primary) the frequency of which over powers the exhaust frequency.

Thanks again for all the input.

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
I am still trying to establish what the difference is (if any) between my stage 1 pipes and:

1. jamming glass packs into my OEM stockers
2. stuffing my own with steel wool and a baffle of my choosing (Bassani)
3. witch doctors muscle baffle

Is going to any of the above going to give me a louder deeper sound without being obnoxious? If there is a difference is it enough of a difference to warrant the expense? I have watched a ton of videos and thanks to everyone who has provided sound clips and video of what they have done. But like many of you have commented...video does not do the sound justice. I find one of the biggest problems with video clips is the engine sound (gear primary) the frequency of which over powers the exhaust frequency.

Thanks again for all the input.
Stainless steel wool.

You are asking the impossible wanting us to recommend a muffler that sounds good to you, how is that done?
Mine are deep and throaty and best of all -I made them-.

Reactions: Motorbikerx

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Really the only ways of getting the info you seek is to see all of the various mufflers in person or take a chance and try one. If it doesn't work out, try another set. I know some folks here on their 4th or 5th set of mufflers lol

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Obnoxiousness is in the ears of the beholder.
Hands OP some earplugs.

To me the Sound of Power that is Breathing freely is
Vastly different to an gutless lump that's making noise.

That is my definition of obnoxious, and I'm sticking to it.

Reactions: LILMAGS500

·
13,262 Posts
ass_coach

say go out in the country with a buddy and have him ride your bike past you.
Have him get on it like you would or slower like you would.
Now you can hear what your pipes sound like.
Just normal riding you don't really hear what your bike sounds like

1 - 20 of 34 Posts