Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found one today..when i first bought the bike it had 7200 mi on it .had to change rear tire at 8500 because of a screw. now again today. only have roughly 3000 on this bridgestone.can i use a car tire plug kit or do i need to get a motorcycle specific. I guess the flat spot i mentioned in an earlier post doesnt matter anymore.i'll run the plug for a bit the get another new tire. WTF..

·
13,231 Posts
Had a screw in my 180 didn't get in far but did loose air. Used fix a dlat and road it till it was worn out. I for got about the fix a flat
Ask auto store for the best plug kit they have

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I figure i should be good till end of season with a plug.good excuse to tell the wife i have to go solo till i get a new tire...safety first ya know.thumb up

·
Registered
608 Posts
found one today..when i first bought the bike it had 7200 mi on it .had to change rear tire at 8500 because of a screw. now again today. only have roughly 3000 on this bridgestone.can i use a car tire plug kit or do i need to get a motorcycle specific. I guess the flat spot i mentioned in an earlier post doesnt matter anymore.i'll run the plug for a bit the get another new tire. WTF..
Personally I use car plugs.
But you can get a motorcycle plug that goes on the inside. They consider this a permanent fix. Very reliable.
Plug it with a car plug then get the MC plug installed at the dealer when you get time?

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I found a nail in my rear tire tonight. No idea how long I've had it, but it was due for replacement anyway...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've carried a Stop-N-Go mushroom plug kit and it's got me and a couple of other folks back on their way pretty quick-I've had to use it more than I'd like lately I used to carry CO2 cylinders-they'll get you moving but I couldn't get the tire up to pressure no matter how many I shot in-I've since added a Slime compressor to the kit-I've had good luck with gummy worm plugs but the mushrooms let you ride with some confidence in your fixed flat. Be sure to buy some fresh rubber cement for your kits too-Brian

http://www.stopngo.com/pocket-tire-plugger-for-all-tubeless-tires/

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I feel your pain... Last June I had to replace my rear Dunlop 3 freakin times due to screws and nails!!!! Been fine since then... That was $1000 I surely didn't enjoy spending...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Been lucky so far I make a living selling fasteners and I keep my bike in my shop. My car on the other hand has a screw in it now:mad:.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I put a car plug in the front tire of my 2003 ZX9R I used to ride ... Got 2 seasons out of it with no issues , routinely going over 100 . Dumb? YES ! But like I said , not a problem . I would stick a plug in it and ride it till the tire is used up , plus its in the rear , no problem !;)

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I'd plug mine, I have that same tire plug kit but it also has the pistol grip for the plugger. However, the tire is well worn, time to replace it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went yesterday to cycle gear and bought an emergency repair kit. Dont want to get stuck on side of the road one day.When I got home I just used my wally world tire plug kit. went and and got the state rip off inspection and done with it(ended up goin to harley shop for that).The wife is nervous about the plug so i dont think she will get on till i get the new rear tire.on the ride around it felt fine.no wiggle or anything.I guess there isnt too much to worry about because it seems when i take vacation days to go put some miles on there seems to be some problem to prevent it.1st was the boots on the rear caliper down for a week...keeping my fingers crossed for the week of september 7th. took that week to do the kanga, mohawk trail and what ever else pops up..wish me luck.gonna order the tire anyway just to have it on hand.i've heard its not good to mix brands but im not happy with the bridgestone g 850 it wearin down in the center is bothering me. the front is fine and i dont want to change both again.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
spanknut , don't want to invite myself but I have a week coming , let me know if you want company . We could do a couple nice rides , let me know !thumb upcheers

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I just am seeing this thread after having just paid luvmyride for a set of takeoffs. I have burned through a front but am on my fourth rear and none of them got to the wear indicators before they found sharp stuff. I don't remember it being this bad ever. I hate to blame it on the compound of my Dunlops but it sure looks that way to me. It might be the sorry state of highway maintenance plays into it but really? Maybe it's just dumb luck but I never went through so much skin in so little time before and I am not racking up higher mileage than normal.

Back in the day tires were much skinnier and that profile reduced the exposure area to stuff on the road but it's been 20 years since stock tires were touted for their narrow stature.

I got a fair deal on them takeoffs and I sleep better at night knowing I have some spare rubber on the shelf in case I sweep the metal off another section of highway. It's always better to put new rubber on but you don't tend to get a deal on new skin when you are flat on bottom and need it now. You mostly stumble on deals when you have rubber on it and the deal comes along. I'm a big believer in having takeoff tires and belts hanging around. Guys swap rubber out often on cruisers for different brands and compounds or different wheel diameters or profiles and where touring bikes are concerned, guys put trike kits on them and free up rear tires, rims and belts. Just got to keep your eyes open.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
spanknut , don't want to invite myself but I have a week coming , let me know if you want company . We could do a couple nice rides , let me know !thumb upcheers

I was actually talkin to the wife about that very same thing last night . I know you have sun and mon off. we shall hook up.thumb up

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Kool , shoot me a text when you have an idea !cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts