Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey gents and gals. I was out on a long ride a few weeks ago with a few friend on the way home we broke off and I started heading home, I noticed the fuel gauge showed about a quarter of a tank and trip meter was approaching 175 miles, so I was just coming up to a station that I knew had non oxy and just before I got to the station it shut off, I turned the key off then on and got no priming, knowing of the pump issues on these I have never run it low, as I do most of my own maintenance on my vehicles I could of done this fix but for my upcoming commitments it would have been some time to get to it,

I had it towed to a local reputable bike shop and decided to look the other way when I got the bill, they did their diagnostic tests and determined it was the pump, bike only has about 10,000 miles on it, due to my surgeries and recoveries', this was going to be a ride the bike summer for as long as possible here in Minnesota, They ordered a complete assembly from Polaris, Pump.. float... sending unit.. filter...gasket..

I go to pick it up and shot the bull with the owner for awhile, I left and went to fill it up a few blocks away and noticed after a total fill up gas gauge only showed 3/4 of a tank, so of course I went right back and the owner was walking out before I could even remove my gloves, he said that he thinks the sending unit needs to be calibrated with the ecm, Iam not sure why this wasn't done already but have at it, im thinking they may have installed it incorrectly ..

when I left the shop the gauge showed 1/2 of a tank, he said they suck out what ever was in it and put it back which should have been 1/4 tank, now because of the holiday they wont get to it till next week, is this calibrating thing legit, after going through most of the pump replacements on our forum I didn't find any thing regarding this, thanks for reading.....:)

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Sorry for the fuel pump problem but man your post is hard to read. Put a few periods in there and/or break out into more than one paragraph.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I use trip 1 on the odometer for fuel level. Eliminates all the guess work.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,763 Posts
Yeah I use odometer too. Can't trust the gauge and can't trust the digital miles remaining. I have gone to 200 miles when I can't find a gas station but usually in the 150-175 range I'm ready to get off for a few minutes anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah I use odometer too. Can't trust the gauge and can't trust the digital miles remaining. I have gone to 200 miles when I can't find a gas station but usually in the 150-175 range I'm ready to get off for a few minutes anyway.
This has to be the sixth post I've read in these Vic forums where as the answer to whatever question asked isn't given. Some try to help with "other" scenarios but most are tributary. The gent on this page asked about the sending unit needing to be synced with the ecm. Not only did he NOT get his answer but someone's correcting his grammar LMAO. Thank you to all who try/ Do to help.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Unless I'm reading my wire diagram wrong the gas tank doesn't connect with the ECU.

Reactions: Weeds

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, I just thought I would give a little back ground on what happened as some posters don't provide mutch info, TNXR thought my post needed to be broken up somewhat to make it more readable which I did.

This has to be the sixth post I've read in these Vic forums where as the answer to whatever question asked isn't given. Some try to help with "other" scenarios but most are tributary. The gent on this page asked about the sending unit needing to be synced with the ecm. Not only did he NOT get his answer but someone's correcting his grammar LMAO. Thank you to all who try/ Do to help.
Unless I'm reading my wire diagram wrong the gas tank doesn't connect with the ECU.

I really didn't think the fuel pump needed to be synced with the ecu but wasn't sure, so I sought another opinions... The bike shop still has it and is working on it between other jobs, I talked with the tech yesterday and he admitted he doesn't work on victory's mutch, but said after talking to another shop that the float just needed to be adjusted so it reads correctly with a full tank which should have been done in the first place.

I'm hoping to get it back tomorrow or Saturday.. After 231 views I thought someone would have some insight to this problem since these bikes have displayed pump issues. hopefully all goes well and I get it back....Thanks for your feed back...:cool:

·
Registered
117 Posts
The ECM is part of the fuel system on my 16 Gunner. There is a "priming procedure" that is to be repeated "about 5 times". It may be your wrench needs to repeat the drill more than he has up until now.

Good luck with the repair.

·
13,262 Posts
I have owned 14 HD models and have a dozen or more friends and not one has a accurate fuel gauge.
I fill my vision right to the top of the neck. You can't get a drop more in it. Within 30 miles, I'm down to 3/4 tank. In 20 miles I'm at 1/2 tank. My fuel light comes on when I still have 50 miles more to go.
The bottom line fuel gauges suck and cars are not any better.
I think your a fool if you give the dealer and money for some bull **** hook up to the ECM you'll just waste your money. Use trip gauge like most of us do.

Reactions: depot picker

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm pretty sure you misunderstood. Yes fuel gauges are just a reference and I don't use it to measure per say how mutch fuel there is, the point is that the gauge was way off when full after the repair, it still should read full when full, like it has for 7 years, the float just needs to be adjusted correctly like it was at the factory, but yes they are inherently in accurate.. I did not pay anyone to recalibrate it, After the pump was replaced the gauge wasn't working correctly, The shop will be correcting it..maybe you don't care if the gauge reads at all but calling people a fool and not taking time to read the post, or more likely understanding it says enough..

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Let us know how it turns out. Heck you might get it reading better than before. I'm not sure where the float is at in the tank but I know the read falls off the full mark quickly even when I know I'm full.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for asking, apparently there is some kind of clip that attaches to the float that needs to be checked before the installation and if its not the float gets hung up at about 3/4 of a tank.
The tec actually said he talked to someone at Polaris and that's were they told him to look, the tec said the clip was not seated all the way, he reassembled it and it's good to go.
Since the bike was new I could go between 75-80 miles before the needle would drop.
Actually the gauge seemed to be fairly accurate but iv always gone by mileage as with my other bikes..FYI when the pump failed I had alittle over 2 gallons left as I pulled into the gas station..:)

Let us know how it turns out. Heck you might get it reading better than before. I'm not sure where the float is at in the tank but I know the read falls off the full mark quickly even when I know I'm full.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts