Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Another near death experience

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  xHammer8ball 
#1 ·
About a month ago we bought a Can-Am for my wife. We try to get out 2 or 3 times a week riding and practicing maneuvers. Today we were out for about 3 hours. On our way toward home on one of my favorite roads for killing a few minutes, We are going slow, maybe 30 MPH. I go around a deceptively sharp curve which I am familiar with and mention it to her.
One of those giant pickups with big wheels and wide mirrors sticking out comes over the hill well on my side of the road. He appears to be correcting. Suddenly I realize he is not getting back. I go far as I can to the side, but he keeps coming. SMACK! He stops, completely on the wrong side. My mirror is knocked sideways and my clutch lever is pointing up. His mirror is knocked back too.
As I stop I can hear my wife bitching him out already. I walk back debating whether to shoot him now or later. He was very apologetic saying his steering failed. There were a few parts in his trail, and oil under his engine.
Anyhow. the lesson is: One of the things the wife and I practiced with the Spyder was emergency stop and escape. She told me she was ready to execute the escape had he not stopped when he did. That is good. Practice emergency procedures often.
I'm still a bit rattled, she is too. My damage can be adjusted, nothing permanent. I just can't believe we contacted mirrors, and I'm still alive. This is the third time I have cheated the grim reaper. Once in a car, twice on the XCT. If I'd been in a car those 2 incidents would have got me.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hard to imagine clipping mirrors and not going down.

#7 ·
<snip>One of the things the wife and I practiced with the Spyder was emergency stop and escape. <snip more>
What is an "escape" in this context? Having never before heard this word used in this way, I suspect I can learn something important.

#9 ·
So does the bike come to a complete stop? Does the rider put their feet down or is the stop brief enough that they remain upright without putting a foot down. I have braked hard on my XCT but have never braked hard enough to activate the anti-lock brakes except on a very bumpy road which was a false activation based on the wheel(s) leaving the ground and very briefly on a wet surface.

#10 ·
That is what I expected in an "escape." Like a vehicle coming up rapidly behind you then you move out the way. Always keeping eyes in all directions for that reason.

#11 ·
2 or 3 years ago I almost got squashed between 2 18 wheelers. We were doing 65 down a hill and the first truck locked up his brakes. The truck behind me jackknifed. As I was leaving I was thinking I'm glad I had practiced that move at a Prorider class.
The bike comes to a stop very briefly. You would need to put a foot down because of the aggressive nature of the stop.
If your ABS is working, that is the light is off when riding, I would recommend doing a few maximum performance stops in a parking lot so you know what it feels like. It is safe and it stops very quickly. It does take a little practice to do it and be in first when you stop.

Reactions: CanuckRob
#15 ·
Nice handlebars.
Look like tall mirrors too.

As said above buy some lotto tickets. :)

Reactions: depot picker
#17 ·
About a month ago we bought a Can-Am for my wife. We try to get out 2 or 3 times a week riding and practicing maneuvers. Today we were out for about 3 hours. On our way toward home on one of my favorite roads for killing a few minutes, We are going slow, maybe 30 MPH. I go around a deceptively sharp curve which I am familiar with and mention it to her.
One of those giant pickups with big wheels and wide mirrors sticking out comes over the hill well on my side of the road. He appears to be correcting. Suddenly I realize he is not getting back. I go far as I can to the side, but he keeps coming. SMACK! He stops, completely on the wrong side. My mirror is knocked sideways and my clutch lever is pointing up. His mirror is knocked back too.
As I stop I can hear my wife bitching him out already. I walk back debating whether to shoot him now or later. He was very apologetic saying his steering failed. There were a few parts in his trail, and oil under his engine.
Anyhow. the lesson is: One of the things the wife and I practiced with the Spyder was emergency stop and escape. She told me she was ready to execute the escape had he not stopped when he did. That is good. Practice emergency procedures often.
I'm still a bit rattled, she is too. My damage can be adjusted, nothing permanent. I just can't believe we contacted mirrors, and I'm still alive. This is the third time I have cheated the grim reaper. Once in a car, twice on the XCT. If I'd been in a car those 2 incidents would have got me.
Years ago I almost died. Riding is scary nowadays

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.