Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1

Registered
I'm so happy I just about 馃挬 myself..... :eek
Okay.....I was really hoping Yamaha would be doing a "bagger" version of the TC Venture. But "Eluder" ....com' on :confused:

Registered
looks to much like a goldwing or Sport tour for me. Yuck!

Registered

Registered

Registered
Its not nearly as SportTour-ish as the BMW K1600B
No but just ugly, i don't care how good they run or last, if it is ugly I can't ride it. Someone needs to pick up where Victory left off and they will end up with my future busness.

Registered
The Japanese manufactures have no idea how to style an American cruiser, bagger or tourer....I knew this back in the 80's when they first start entering the market and it continues to this day. Don't get me wrong, they are good, even great motorcycles but clearly imitations.
We have no more Victory, so if I don't expand my horizons and try to appreciate what BMW and Yamaha have to offer I would be limited to choosing between Harley and Indian for my next bike. :rolleyes:
Kawasaki, if they decide to get into this game could possible revamp the Vulcan Voyager or come up with something new. Suzuki can stick a turbo on the Hyabusa for all I care ;) ...Forget Honda, this company, like Ducati is in design La-La Land...

Registered
I was guess I will buck the current trend in that I think it is quite good looking, especially that totally different from most batwings ( like our Vic ) hot rod style fairing. The tech is great, and Yamaha quality may be the best in the business. I do not like 34 mpg even if it is offset by a 6.6 gal. tank. I also do not like 875 pounds or a hundred more than my Vic Cross Country I believe. I will check it out once it hits showrooms next winter ( or probably spring ).

That said what would really grab me, especially at my age is a lighter weight, tech loaded, feet forward, nimble and flickable, cruiser, bagger, tourer with about a 1300 cc, smooth as silk v4 that can achieve 50 mpg. Optional dct transmission would be welcome. Honda tried with the Ctx 1300, but like PaiN said above the Japanese mfgs. have little idea.

Super Moderator
I kinda like it. Reminds me of an old TransAm. I like that Blue. But, not enough to buy one...

Registered
A RS Venture - sans trunk. I like it! I think I've said it before, but I sorta kinda wish that the new Yamaha was on the market a few years ago. All things considered, Beemers are too rich for my blood. Looked long and hard had the Kawi Voyager. The Venture (with cassette tape deck) was long out of production. Threw the dice with Victory. The Vic will have to work. Probably my last bike. Hope it stands up to the test of time.

Registered
I was guess I will buck the current trend in that I think it is quite good looking,......
That said what would really grab me, especially at my age is a lighter weight, tech loaded, feet forward, nimble and flickable, cruiser, bagger, tourer with about a 1300 cc, smooth as silk v4 that can achieve 50 mpg. .
One that is reliable and takes you touring without having to modify it. Like that idea a lot. Most of these modern touring bikes need to go on diet. Takes the fun right out of them.

Registered
I just looked at the new 2018 HD's in person. Some nice things but "Lipstick on a Pig" for the following reasons.
Oil filter is still in the same old crappy place and still have to crack the inner primary to access the stator as well as the swing arm for the belt. Chain drive primary vice gears again. NO Chrome! not even the valve head covers. Instead you get lots of, let me what is the marketing term? "murdered out black", "dripping in bad" and charged more for less, as usual. Meh the 18 HD's.... I'll ride the wheels of my Victory and hope to cross the 1,000,000 mile mark on mine. Only another 100K to go. I feel so dirty after being in the enemy camp among the smarmy pirate costumed salesmen.

Premium Member
Somehow i think Ill just manage to elude it.
I'd buy another XS650 though.

Registered
I kinda like it. Reminds me of an old TransAm. I like that Blue. But, not enough to buy one...
I agree. Like it much better then the other options, but not getting rid of either of my vics soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Registered
Looks good

Like the looks. Do not like the weight of it. Had my knee swell up on me yesterday pretty bad. Keep having this issue and I will have to find something lighter. Personally I was wanting to try the Octain out , but that's out the window now. I know the Indian Scout, rode one last year, just did not grab me. Maybe I will try it again down the rode. I do like the new Bonneville Thruxton, but I can not handle the stock bars, clip-ons I believe. I would like the Thruxton with more upright bars, tubeless tires(mag wheels), belt drive and some factory saddlebags. It's a much lighter bike and the engine is suppose to be pretty strong now, water cooled also...... Back to dreaming so if I could just come up with $30K to 36K , I might just have to stumble in and put my order in for a new MOTUS, if I liked riding one. I believe I would. Let me see about that lite weight, and 160+ hp, and not one on every street corner. Maybe I could get the "MOTUS" T-shirt.
:laugh

Premium Member
I like it for what it is. This is a bike I would not change a thing except possibly the handlebars if I needed a better position. Just maintain it and ride it. Probably get the backrest with rack for long distance riding.

Sure is a torque monster and 126 tq. This is a proven engine too. With the right exhaust it's impossible to tell the difference between it and a Harley on the road. At idle you might but not under load on the road.

Premium Member
I thought more people here would like the Big Yammie Bagger. Guess not, and the reason why eludes me ;) .

I love the spec sheet and I think it looks bad ass. As a matter of fact the Ventures will be in Mesa AZ for test rides October 7th and 8th and I plan on being there to ride them. I'm crossing my fingers there's an Eluder there, if not I'll ride the Venture. After all they are the same bike. I won't buy one this year but next year maybe. Look, here we have a motorcycle that handles well, easy to maintain, has all the amenities and it's not a Harley. Sure it's a bit heavy, but ah, has anyone weighed their Vic lately? About the looks, it IS different I'll grant you that. Does that statement remind anyone here of any other motorcycle? I love my Victory and she's staying but face it, she's gonna wear out and I'm really keeping my eyes on the mileage.

What's not to love about the Venture/Eluder? V-twin, wet clutch, hydraulic valves, fixed fairing, easy to maintain, not an HD, not an Indian, not a Goldwing. It's a Yamaha. Yamaha builds a good motorcycle, and may I remind you that Yamaha started this whole Japanese Cruiser thing with the XS Specials way back in 1978. The teardrop tank, leading axle forks, sculpted seats and the buckhorn bars. I remember rolling my eyes at them. Yamaha also started the quick and good handling Sport Tour market in 1978 with the XS11. It had that totally sweet 1100 inline four with the shaft drive and it was fast and handled decent for the day. The rest of the big four busted their collective asses to catch up. They also introduced us to the modern V-twin Japanese Harley clone.

I love Yamaha's, I had a 78 XS11 and rode the piss out of it. I've also owned a 1983 Venture and it was a fine motorcycle. In full disclosure they did write me a check every year to support my Flat Track racing on a 650 twin Yamaha powered framer in the late 70's and 80's. The XS650 powered Flat Tracker did in Harley. All the rules were were changed to favor Harley and yes, I'm STILL pissed about it.

I guess I'm puzzled by the lack of love for the new Venture/Eluder. I'll ride em and write it up for you in October.

Premium Member
Yep When I was a kid I bought a 650 Maxim in 1980 then sold it in 81 to buy an 81 midnight maxim with the gold trim. Then got the first wife to ride it and bought an 83 750 midnight maxim. Super good bikes. I thought it was pretty fast till a buddy got a Vmax and realized it wasn't so fast after all!

Registered
I thought more people here would like the Big Yammie Bagger. Guess not, and the reason why eludes me ;)
I don't dislike them, just been quiet on the issue, but I agree there is a lot to like for touring, which is what it's built for. I even like most of the styling except the bags which need to extend down around the pipes in my opinion, and maybe have their backside reshaped. Aftermarket will probably fix that and will greatly improve their eye-appeal in the future. It's kinda like a Goldwing with a giant, thumping, V-twin heart. If I had to ride coast to coast it satisfies my v-twin sentiment way more than a wing ever would. So it's just a matter of money and having a big garage, but I'm keeping my XC for everything else.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts