Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I mentioned the whoop whoop sound I get around 25mph. Well, lets say Im sitting at a light and go take off friggin hard, I get a chirp sound like I was spinning the tire. I dont think Im breaking traction cause I dont get the wiggle.
What would cause a chirp on a hard take off?
Would the belt do it? I dont think it missing any teeth on it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's the belt, check out the thread on belt chirping, very common with Victory bikes.

·
13,263 Posts
like this sound

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I think the sound taking off hard comes from the clutch. Mine never did it before. I think the reason is that the tech may not have put all the plates in correctly.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
With no pillion, you won't experience that noise. It is a bit off subject for your issue.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was a good laugh lol. But my sound isn't consent it happens from a hard launch, like tire chirp. If it was the belt teeth would be missing right? Bearing would be more like the video less the passenger and the turkey call. Clutch, hmm I'm running shell rotella, with 1qt vic oil mixed ran out of the shell.

Ain't right for sure, I'll jack it up and put the dial indicator on the rotor, maybe that's my other whoop whoop noise too.
Then the dealer
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
336 Posts
Teeth would not have to be missing to make a chirp. Think of it as being on a BMX bike as a kid when the chain was loose enough to make a clunk noise when you stood up on the pedals and it slipped a tooth on the sprocket. In this case though, instead of two hard metal objects making contact, one is metal and one is the belt.

On occassion, the wear that is needed to make the most annoying chirping and whining is small enough that you wouldn't even notice it if you weren't looking for it specifically.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Ah see I walked into it, didn't I :ltr:
That's what I get when I get in a hurry on my phone.

Edit: Dohhh!!!! That's hilarious! LOL

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
Put some bar soap on both edges of the belt and try it again. If it doesn't do it then you know what it is.

I've said this a gazillion times and some people disagree with it and that's fine but I don't see a problem with putting some Dupont spray on dry lube with Teflon on the belt every 3-5 months or as needed to keep my belt from squeaking. I just haven't been able to adjust it out so this is the next best thing although it sounds like some folks are having even better results with plain ole wax. I figure it's just a weird design quirk if it can't be adjusted out. Either that or one of the pulleys or belt isn't just right.

·
Registered
119 Posts
squeal vs chirp

If it's a squeal and sounds like you're spinning the tire upon take off it's your clutch. Mine does the same thing. Play with how you release the clutch. Let it out a bit faster and you'll find it goes away until you release like you did before, then it will be back. My bike started doing this at about 5k miles. I'm sitting at 25k now, it still does it. The dealer said since its a wear part (clutch, tires & brakes) it couldn't be covered under warr. I say BS but whatever.
If its a chirping, constant sound, especially under load like getting into second gear too soon and hammering the gas. That's your belt. Clean it, and check for the correct tension. The belts on these bikes don't have alot of room for error. The service manual gives just 1 mm +/- to be within adjustment. But if its in adjustment (and straight), just get some soapy water and a toothbrush. Elevate the tire and clean the belt and the corners (valleys of teeth against the sides) of the pulley. Dry it all the way then ride. It should clear up.
If it's too tight, and after a long ride when it's nice and hot you'll get a different sound, kind of a grinding howl that sounds like a bad bearing. Then it needs to be loosened.

Good luck.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After viewing a video from victory police on the clutch u went out to check my free play. It was pretty tight, i adjusted the cable probably a little too loose but feels better. I'll check a hard launch tomorrow, if it still does I might try a different oil.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The video on that police model is all about a manual, cable operated clutch. If you have one of the bikes with a hydraulic clutch, it simply does not apply to you. Be careful how you apply these great videos, sometimes they simply do not apply.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts