Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm a professional auto technician, and not afraid to admit I know absolutely jack about v-twins. So - that being said, I know Victory recommends only their 20w40 semi syn to be used, other posts about amsoil and mobil 1, but what about valvoline 20w50 4cycle motorcycle oil? Bottle says engineered for todays wet clutch systems or something to that effect. This is mostly directed to kevin and diamond, but anyone with good knowledge about this can help. thanks....

·
Registered
50 Posts
That oil will be ok. The 20w part will make it hard to start in the winter months here in Ohio, I know from experience. The 50 just means it will withstand more heat than the 40 before it breaks down. I run Mobil 1 10w40 motorcycle racing oil, but I ride in the cold. I contacted Mobil and they recommended this oil for my bike. 10w is for as cold as -4 fareneheit and 20w for 32 farenheit. Victory recommends the 20w40 becasue no one else makes it and they want the sale. The Victory is only semi-synthetic also and I prefer full synthetic. Check out this link. It doesn't rate the Valvoline very well and it doesn't rate the Victory oil well in some areas either. Amsoil and Mobil are always in the top. What ever brand you go with 1ow40 or 20w50 will be fine in your bike as long as it is for wet clutch applications. The oil you are questioning finished 11th place out of 17 oils for the 20w50. The Victory oil finished 4th place out of 15 oils in the 10w40.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's kind of funny. I just noticed we are both from Ohio and we both have birthdays on May 29 just a couple years apart.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
LMAO!! An oil thread. This is a subject of much much debate. Amsoil users and dealers swear by it. Others swear by Rotella T.

I've never used Amsoil but there is a Vic rider with well over 200,000 on his Vic and he runs nothing but Amsoil. There are others that run Amsoil with NO problems. There are those that run Amsoil and it makes the clutch slip.

Here is the fat and skinny. I'm sure Kevin will chime in and agree. I've NEVER heard of a clutch slipping with the Vic oil unless of course the clutch was toast from use.

I have heard many many instances of clutches slipping with Amsoil, Mobil1, Rotella T etc..

I tried Rotella T once after 500 or so miles she was a bitch to get into gear.

Another thing is that Vic Oil is formulated for cooling our engines.

Personally I won't chance it anymore.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help. bike is supposed to be here tomorrow, actually last friday, but shipper had an 'emergency'. gotta make sure they got all the masking tape off it from dropping it, i hope i'm kidding. thansk again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wrong oil

My bike was down a quart of oil and I had no access to Victory oil. So I put in 1/2 qt of Valvoline Maxlife. My mistake was that this is automotive oil and not motorcycyle oil.

Will this be ok until my next oil change. Worried about the clutch!

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Get that crap out of your bike ASAP!!! Your clutch is the least of your worries. Remember the oil helps cool the engine. This stuff could possibly damage your engine. You need to do a full oil change and filter!

I'm not sure and hopefully Kevin will chime in on this but you may need some kind of flush or something to get it fully flushed.

·
Registered
116 Posts
hmm i used rotella t6 but wonder if i should just use victory oil instead hmmf there is a dealer in town actually so i can get the stuff pretty easy seen they have kits for $50.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, I'm a professional auto technician, and not afraid to admit I know absolutely jack about v-twins. So - that being said, I know Victory recommends only their 20w40 semi syn to be used, other posts about amsoil and mobil 1, but what about valvoline 20w50 4cycle motorcycle oil? Bottle says engineered for todays wet clutch systems or something to that effect. This is mostly directed to kevin and diamond, but anyone with good knowledge about this can help. thanks....
Valvoline 20w50 4cycle motorcycle oil is the oil that uses to run the motorcycle. I think it can run the motorcycle softly. thumb upcheers

·
Registered
116 Posts
i want to use mobile 1 vtwin 20w50 but man that will cost $70 for a oil change!! there $9 a qt! + filter :crzy:

I bought a drain plug with magnet so i want to change oil early so i can use the new drain plug :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what i found, after buying castrol actevo 20w40 and a wix filter is this: go to the dealer and buy their oilchange kit. you get 6 qts of oil and a victory filter and it costs damn near what non vic stuff goes for ($65 or so). so thats all i'm ever getting again. vic parts for a vic bike best way to go as far as i'm concerned. that initial oil change was before i learned the dealer kit existed....

·
Registered
22 Posts
engine oil properties

20% of a quart of oil is additives which enhance the base lubricant properties. Mineral oil refined from crude oil is made up of HC molecules of varying size and shapes and provide certian benefits. Synthetic oil is chemically engineered in a lab to posess enhanced properties of various sorts. I'm trying to keep this simple and in layman's terms. Synthetics have superior temperature operating range and resist breakdown leading to the formation of harmful deposits and acids in the crankcase. Mineral oil has limitations but possess superior cushioning of shear forces imposed by transmission gears. A multigrade oil is actually made up of the lower number base stock to flow well when cold and polymer additives cause it to behave like the upper number when at operating temperature. Trans gears chop these polymers and reduce the oil to the lower number over time. Pure synthetics have a more difficult time protecting as well as mineral oil does in the presence of tranny gears and the proper amount of additives to allow synthetics to do so also increase the likelihood of clutch slippage. This is why a syn blend is best. Also as the oil number goes up the heat transfer ability decreases. There has to be a balance because of the wide range of climate zones present in the US. The 50 oil may project the ability of increased hot weather protection, but do so at the expense of reduced heat transfer. Victory has chosen 20W-40 because it is the best blend of protection and heat transfer. Other oils may work as well but be sure to do your research first and be aware of what your Victory needs to perform as engineered. NEVER use automotive oil in a motorcycle engine because several critical viscosity, extreme pressure, and shear resistance additives which poison automotive catalytic converters have been removed from automotive oil which are critically required by engine/trans/wet-clutch combo assemblies. Rotella is a good oil for older automotive and current diesel engines which need ZDDP and other additives which do not employ automotive catalytic converters. However Shell engineers did not consider heat transfer or wet-clutch parameters because water cooled diesel engines do not need them as critically as an oil/air cooled engine. It is always best to use a motorcycle engineered oil in a motorcycle for best service life and performance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts