Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '11 Victory XC is calling it quits. Second gear has been "slipping" or jumping for a while now. It's to the point that I've changed my riding style to avoid the RPM range in second gear where I have the problem. I've tried different oil, changing the shift forks and anything else I could possibly come up with in order to hopefully fix this problem, with no results.
I've finally come to my senses and admitted to myself that second gear is dying. The trans needs to be split and serviced. I really don't want to get rid of her, but it's time.
I took an '18 HD Ultra Limited out for a test ride tonight. Man, there really is no comparing these bikes. The 107 in the HD just doesn't have that get-the-f#@k-out-of-my-way acceleration that my Vic has (had). The handling is so much different.
On the other hand, the HD has a much smoother ride than my Vic. It just hovers over the road. All those bells and whistles really make me feel like a kid in a candy store.
There is no comparison. I'm comparing a 1971 Cadillac Eldorado to a 1971 plymouth hemi cuda. I've had a few bikes in my lifetime, and I always looked forward to the new bike, without giving a second thought to what I was leaving behind. This time is different. I'm giving up my rocket for comfort. I will miss this community.
Now get off my lawn.

·
Premium Member
6,285 Posts
It's sad when your happy with what you have, then a gear or accident happen, if the time comes I don't think it will be a HD thought .... good luck and post a picture of your bike whatever it's going to be, I seen a CVO 117" and that fit & finish is just awesome ... But all these upgrades on HD or Vic for that matter is just an endless money pit ...

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk

Reactions: FLVicRider

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I will be hanging around a bit, if only to read about the adventures you all are still having. Yes, I am trading Vic in on the new HD. I do realize it would be cheaper for a new trans and big bore kit, but that still doesn't take care of the little things that have been requiring maintenance or replacement. Sure, I could track down a low mileage '16 Vic, but I know I'll eventually end up where I am now. Some parts with Vic are already becoming scarce. My biggest issue with it is that the owner of the local former Victory dealership just doesn't want to work on them anymore. The last 2 times I needed them, my bike was down for weeks. This last time they had it for 2 and a half weeks and told me they forgot to order the gasket with the rest of the parts so now I'll have to wait until the gasket comes in. I just took the bike back and decided it is time to trade.

Reactions: BBob

·
Registered
853 Posts
Thanks guys. I will be hanging around a bit, if only to read about the adventures you all are still having. Yes, I am trading Vic in on the new HD. I do realize it would be cheaper for a new trans and big bore kit, but that still doesn't take care of the little things that have been requiring maintenance or replacement. Sure, I could track down a low mileage '16 Vic, but I know I'll eventually end up where I am now. Some parts with Vic are already becoming scarce. My biggest issue with it is that the owner of the local former Victory dealership just doesn't want to work on them anymore. The last 2 times I needed them, my bike was down for weeks. This last time they had it for 2 and a half weeks and told me they forgot to order the gasket with the rest of the parts so now I'll have to wait until the gasket comes in. I just took the bike back and decided it is time to trade.
Hey man, keep hanging out...you're still on two wheels....to bad about your vic...I guess we will all have to cross this bridge at some point just not today...

show us your new ride and stay safe!!

Rob

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
If you spend another gazillion dollars you can get the HD sort-of close to the Vic. Did you ride a Challenger?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you spend another gazillion dollars you can get the HD sort-of close to the Vic. Did you ride a Challenger?
I think I'd need the 114 to come close to what I had with the 106 from Victory. The bike I am looking at is a 107. There are a few problems, or at least were with the bigger kits for HD. I can't afford them anyway so I'm not worried.
I did not try the challenger. I simply won't give Polaris another chance to screw me. I bought my Vic 6 months before the doors closed. My area flooded with used XC's with half the mileage mine had. I was very top-heavy on my loan. Now that the bike is paid off, I'm having a little trouble finding some of the parts I needed, and a LOT of trouble just getting the local former-Victory dealer to work on it. A side note, The only local Indian dealer to me has been looking to hire a bike tech since last year sometime. They also are unfortunately in a really bad spot. The highway has been under construction for a few years now right in front of their door. I'm sure that's killing their sales. How much longer can they hold out?

Reactions: 53canuck

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't forget your Harley Toolkit when you get the new bike. :ROFLMAO: Just kiddin' bro. ;)
Since I started riding baggers, I don't ride without a basic tool kit stashed. I've fixed more HD bikes on the side of the road than anything else. Now that I'm the one riding the Harley, I need to find a way to pack a bike lift in the bags.

·
Premium Member
13,794 Posts
Since I started riding baggers, I don't ride without a basic tool kit stashed. I've fixed more HD bikes on the side of the road than anything else. Now that I'm the one riding the Harley, I need to find a way to pack a bike lift in the bags.
A small scissor jack should do it. There's also the trick with 2x4's where you lean the bike over and put as many as you can fit under one side then lean it over onto the boards and put as many as you can fit under the other side until you get it as high as you need it. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a done deal. With almost 50,000 on the clock, my 9 year old Victory didn't get much of a trade, which I expected when trading to an HD dealer. In hindsight, I should have kept most of the upgrades off of the bike and sold them privately. The number we settled on was $4500 for those curious. Yes, I know this is low. I don't feel too bad because I already knew about the failing 2nd gear. As I walked away from her for the last time, I noticed an oil drip. Could have been from the very recent oil change, or could have been something worse. No longer my problem.
My new problem is trying to back the new beast which is around 150 pounds heavier and much taller, into my garage, slightly uphill.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
I think I'd need the 114 to come close to what I had with the 106 from Victory. The bike I am looking at is a 107. There are a few problems, or at least were with the bigger kits for HD. I can't afford them anyway so I'm not worried.
I did not try the challenger. I simply won't give Polaris another chance to screw me. I bought my Vic 6 months before the doors closed. My area flooded with used XC's with half the mileage mine had. I was very top-heavy on my loan. Now that the bike is paid off, I'm having a little trouble finding some of the parts I needed, and a LOT of trouble just getting the local former-Victory dealer to work on it. A side note, The only local Indian dealer to me has been looking to hire a bike tech since last year sometime. They also are unfortunately in a really bad spot. The highway has been under construction for a few years now right in front of their door. I'm sure that's killing their sales. How much longer can they hold out?
That right there.

Reactions: 53canuck

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
It's a done deal. With almost 50,000 on the clock, my 9 year old Victory didn't get much of a trade, which I expected when trading to an HD dealer. In hindsight, I should have kept most of the upgrades off of the bike and sold them privately. The number we settled on was $4500 for those curious. Yes, I know this is low. I don't feel too bad because I already knew about the failing 2nd gear. As I walked away from her for the last time, I noticed an oil drip. Could have been from the very recent oil change, or could have been something worse. No longer my problem.
My new problem is trying to back the new beast which is around 150 pounds heavier and much taller, into my garage, slightly uphill.
Congratulations on the new bike, just for the heck of it I asked an H/D dealer how much they would give me for my 50,000+ mile Cross Country and they said they didn't want it because when they take one in they can't sell it. People can cry all day about Harley but Victory is dead and Harley isn't, that really is a big deal.

·
Registered
853 Posts
View attachment 252286
nice looking ride enjoy!!!

Rob

·
Registered
853 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike, just for the heck of it I asked an H/D dealer how much they would give me for my 50,000+ mile Cross Country and they said they didn't want it because when they take one in they can't sell it. People can cry all day about Harley but Victory is dead and Harley isn't, that really is a big deal.
wow up here in canada they don't last long on the for sale page and they're bought up...prices aren't high but they aren't giving them away....I've got 11500 kms on mine and my mind set right now is keep it till the wheels fall off...we'll see...

Stay Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow up here in canada they don't last long on the for sale page and they're bought up...prices aren't high but they aren't giving them away....I've got 11500 kms on mine and my mind set right now is keep it till the wheels fall off...we'll see...

Stay Safe,

Rob
It's the same in my area. Searching Craigslist as I post this, there are 3 Victory Cross Country bikes for sale withing a 100 mile radius. The dealership I sold to is putting the bike on auction. Harley dealerships are just not interested in selling anything other than Harley. Sure, they do. But it's really a turn off for them that Polaris abandoned the Victory brand. It really makes it a hard sell to someone who is looking for a bike, but doesn't already know about the Victory brand.

·
Registered
853 Posts
It's the same in my area. Searching Craigslist as I post this, there are 3 Victory Cross Country bikes for sale withing a 100 mile radius. The dealership I sold to is putting the bike on auction. Harley dealerships are just not interested in selling anything other than Harley. Sure, they do. But it's really a turn off for them that Polaris abandoned the Victory brand. It really makes it a hard sell to someone who is looking for a bike, but doesn't already know about the Victory brand.
Actually that's how I landed my CC....the guy that had it missed his HD and traded it back in ....they put it in an auction and it wound up in Canada where I scooped it up 8)

works for me LOL

as I understand harley doesn't keep anything on the floor but harleys...if you trade in any other bike on a harley they send it to auction....i know the harley dealers here in Ontario do that...

·
Premium Member
13,794 Posts
I completely disagree with you of course. Victory isn't any more dead than Indian was with its many loyal fans for 50 years before it was sorta-kinda resurrected. To this day there are many loyal Pre-1954 Indian owner/riders. They may not ride them as often as we do our Vic's but they are kept up and running.

We get new Victory owners on this forum and Facebook all the time asking questions. Vic's are going for a low price these days which is bad for those of us who lost money on them but great for those just getting into them.

I bet there will still be a loyal following 50 years from now still riding Victory's. The numbers will dwindle but there will still be some.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I agree BBob, I am going to ride My until I am gone. I hope my sons will keep it running after me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts