Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to add a Powerlet outlet to my right side bag , I have a lot of experience and trust in the Powerlet products and recently added an outlet to my side cover too , to power some heated gear . I wanted power in my bag for charging electrical components while at the same time keeping them out of the elements . The factory hole in the bag is much too big and the Powerlet outlet just dropped through the hole , this is where my BFF Ric came in . After getting his best selling laydown plate bracket , I asked if he could use the same material to make me a plate that I could secure to the inside of the bag that I could bore a smaller hole in to fit my new outlet plug . This is what I got , hole already drilled in the perfect spot , Thank you Ric ! This little plate is a PERFECT fit and looks factory . He has these available for anybody interested , there is factory wiring under the fender exactly for this procedure and reaches the bag perfectly .

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Nice! thumb up

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mark ! Easy to do too .

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Thanks for the tip LM.....thumb up

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used the 3M adhesion promoter for a rock solid permanent mount , man you better get it on straight the first time or you will need a crowbar to get it off . :crzy:

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Mags must think that,just cuz I'm now retired, I'm just sitting and twiddling my thumbs, looking for things to do. He's partially right!:) I do have the template and can make more, if there is interest. I'll figure a price per the amount of requests. The more, the lower the price.
I'm able to keep the price of the laydown license plate bracket down to $35 because of the volume I sell and can produce them in groups. There are 29 steps to making the bracket, so doing them production style saves time.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I wanted to add a Powerlet outlet to my right side bag , I have a lot of experience and trust in the Powerlet products and recently added an outlet to my side cover too , to power some heated gear . I wanted power in my bag for charging electrical components while at the same time keeping them out of the elements . The factory hole in the bag is much too big and the Powerlet outlet just dropped through the hole , this is where my BFF Ric came in . After getting his best selling laydown plate bracket , I asked if he could use the same material to make me a plate that I could secure to the inside of the bag that I could bore a smaller hole in to fit my new outlet plug . This is what I got , hole already drilled in the perfect spot , Thank you Ric ! This little plate is a PERFECT fit and looks factory . He has these available for anybody interested , there is factory wiring under the fender exactly for this procedure and reaches the bag perfectly .
Nice work, Mags (and Ric)!

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
That looks great Mags and Ric- when I get a CC I will definitely be ordering one.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Nice addition Mags thumb up...I've been waiting to see how you did this.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
So, this adhesion promoter -- e.g. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/3M-Adhesion-Promoter-Sponge-Applicator/dp/B004TGJU2A[/ame] -- is used in addition to automotive two-sided sticky tape?

I ask, because I'm unfamiliar with the adhesion product. I've always just cleaned the surfaces with alcohol first. But while that worked OK, it's never been what I'd call permanent.

(BTW, I bought RicZ's laydown license plate thingy almost three years ago. Nice product.)

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I suggest ABS cement--the stuff you use on plastic plumbing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nice!! You mentioned that you can access the power for the plug via wires under the rear fender. Do you happen to remember which one?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, this adhesion promoter -- e.g. http://www.amazon.com/3M-Adhesion-Promoter-Sponge-Applicator/dp/B004TGJU2A -- is used in addition to automotive two-sided sticky tape?
Yes , apply the adhesion promoter per the sponge applicator to both pieces and let dry 2-4 minutes or so , apply tape and assemble . Permanent , is an understatement .

Nice!! You mentioned that you can access the power for the plug via wires under the rear fender. Do you happen to remember which one?
Yes , if you look up under the fender they are secured by a push pin / zip tie . They have a small and a large spade terminal two wire wrapped in loom . I cut the terminals off and re-crimped the ones supplied with my socket kit , checking for the correct polarity of course . thumb up

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I suggest ABS cement--the stuff you use on plastic plumbing.
I was going to use this product in the beginning , but had the 3M tape and promoter on the shelf , and there was plenty of contact surface for the tape to bond to . Came out great Ric , thanks again for your engineering skills , top notch !thumb upcheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts