Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another newbie question. I need to charge the battery (don't ask) on my XC. I took out the four screws on the chin fairing like the little book says... but ... it doesn't come off. Am I missing something? I don't want to force it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Push the grill to the right side until the tabs on the left clear and release. This is from the service manual. The first time I took mine off not knowing this I pulled toward the bottom and it released . Hope it helps.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Push to the right ... push to the left. I still don't have it off. I've never owned a bike wheer it was such a hassle to get to the battery. Are you sure only 4 screws have to be removed? I don't want to break anything but I also don't want to take apart stuff that needs to be torqued back on since I don't have a manual. A manual is the next step I guess.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Take out your 4-4mm bolts. Grab the bottom of the grill from the right side of the bike . Pull grill untill it's tight to that side. Twist the opposite side toward the front of the bike. That should do it. Don't be afraid to lay a little torque to it, it will not hurt it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks... I basically did that and got the grill halfway off. At least enough to put the charger on it. Hopefully I can hook up my spare pigtail so I don't have to do this everytime I need a charge. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I bet if you look up under your floorboard you've already got a pig tail there for charging. Its factory installed . You actually didn't have to take that cover off at all, just plug in, charge and ride.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope...nothing there. I just spoke to my friend Ed who bought his from the same place. His didn't have one either. Apparently they are dealer installed and when he complained they gave him a pigtail and suggested he install it himself. Wish I had known that 'cause I would have waited at the dealer until they put one on. Too late now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The owners manual says " A fused maintenance charger connection is provided." Your dealer has a pile of them somewhere. I'd make him put one on, or at least let Victory know he's not providing what he's suppose to.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need to go there tomorrow anyway... I will cuss them out.

·
Registered
289 Posts
use the 12vdc socket in the faring...tender over night...i can ride all year round and have managed my key and so have not had this problem (touch wood)...but i did plug in my tender and it seemed that it would be peachy...and way to easy.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never realized you could do that. I went to the Battery Tender web site and ordered the cig lighter adapter. I guess that means as long as my GPS is not plugged in I can use the plug for my Gerbings also. Thanks for the tip .:)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went to see the dealer and pick up some oil and a filter. Moaned to my sales guy that the battery went dead and there was no pig tail. I walkled out with pig tails attached to a battery charger/tester gratis. Squeeky wheel gets the oil... and it doesn't hurt that the sales guy is a friend of my son's. So all in all a good day. Put on about 50 miles today.... windy and a bit cool... thumb up

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It doesn't go through the switch on my 2011. I hooked up my GPS and it the red light came on indicating it had power while the bike was shut off.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Me too Dirtbobber. I never would have thought to use the cig outlet if someone hadn't posted it here. Live & learn.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry! I meant Dirtdobber.... :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I received my battery tender cig lighter adapter today. I had been foolin' with my radio today so I hooked up the battery tender through the cig lighter. Worked like a champ. Thanks to gulliverstoe for clueing me in on this one. cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts