Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It got up to 40 for the first time in I don't know how long, and need to get the bike ready for that first day :D

Front tire: MT90B/16
Rear tire: 160 80B/16

Local guy is tryin to sell me Shinko's, and I'm seeing some mixed reviews. Some sayin they are a lesser quality value tire, other's sayin once you break 'em in they're a great tire for the money.

He quoted me $320 out the door if i bring tires off the bike to him to mount/balance.

I'd like to stick under $400 total.

I've also heard to stay away from Dunlops, I believe the tires I had on were Dunlop 491 Elite 2's, dunno how well the Elite 3's have improved.

Other brands I've heard about are Avon, Michelin commander 2 series, and Metzler.

So I come to you folks, hopin to get an answer from the source what they prefer on these bikes.

Thanks!

·
12,970 Posts
to the Harley dealer and see what you can get the dunlops for NO they will not mount them. Go to dennis kirk they have a tire sale going on now

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes they are a value tire and if you just ride solo putting around town they will likely do just fine. If you like push you bike hard, ride two up or take longer trips I'd say spend the money and get the best ones you can. There's nothing wrong with Dunlops & I wouldn't rule them out. I've worn out a lot Dunlops, not my favorite tire but they keep improving-the new E3 rear is a multi-compound tire. It's your ass/your choice.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
I think I've narrowed my options to either the Dunlops, or Avon Cobras.
(shipping included) (Load/Speed Index (rear tire)
Dunlop E3's - $300 80H 992lbs (+0)
Avon Cobra's - $316 81H 1,019lbs (+27lbs)
Michelin Commander 2's - $263 77H 908lbs (-84lbs)
Metzeler ME 888's - $295 77H 908lbs (-84lbs)

Now I've heard good things about the Metzeler's, and Michelins, but the closest size I could find was 150/80 B16.
For one I don't know if that'd fit, or handle much differently.
And two, I don't think I like the load rating, compared to OEM tire.

What ya guys think?

·
Registered
361 Posts
My 99 V92C wears Avon Venom's (bias ply) I think you want to stick with bias ply tires on the C models-it will save you a few bucks too. My Vision currently has an new Avon Cobra front & an E3 (radials)on the back. I did not have good experiences with Metzler's and gave them more chances than I should have, others love 'em.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey was your's the same oem size of mt 90 b 16 up front? Also is that the same as 130/90/b16? some of the sites kinda make me think that but i could be totally off..

Kinda having trouble finding an Avon Venom front tire in my size.

Thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
I had to lift the cover & take a look-I have a MT90B16 on the front of my 99. They are very close to the same size as 130-90 16's but made differently. Here's the specs for the two from for comparison:

130/90-16 TL 67H F
MEASURING RIM 3.00
RIMS PERMITTED 2.50-3.50
MAXIMUM WIDTH 142
MAXIMUM DIAMETER 657
LOAD CAPACITY 677
MIN/MAX PSI 38-42
MAX SPEED 130
TREAD DEPTH 6.0
TIRE WEIGHT LBS 14.55

MT90B-16 TL 72H F
MEASURING RIM 3.00
RIMS PERMITTED 2.50-3.50
MAXIMUM WIDTH 136
MAXIMUM DIAMETER 643
LOAD CAPACITY 783
MIN/MAX PSI 36-40
MAX SPEED 130
TREAD DEPTH 5.0
TIRE WEIGHT LBS 15.95

I had it in my head that all Cobra's were radials but I see them listed as bias ply also-to get the right size Avon a Cobra may be in order.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Called local victory dealer looking for a better price that the $210 i found online, for the Avon Cobra rear 160/80B16

The guy said the dunlop E3's were a much better tire.

Dunlops $300, Avons $316 so price is negligible.

·
Registered
361 Posts
"The guy said the dunlop E3's were a much better tire."
That depends on what your after. A Dunlop E3 160/80-16 MT will absolutely go farther than an Avon with respectable handling in most conditions. The Avon will stick like glue in all conditions & give superior handling in it's shorter life span. It's always a trade off & you have to decide what's more important to you. Glad your gettin' it figured out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I was tryin to figure how big that trade-off might be..

I know this isn't totally scientific, too many unknown variables (riding style, roads, it came from the internet, lol)

I averaged the mileage of the first 30 people i came across online who noted when they replaced their Cobra's, then 30 more for those who changed their E3's.

Cobra's were about 13,000, and E3's were about 15,000.

I know it's all just ballpark, but I can live with that trade-off, and am feeling more confident in trying these Cobra's out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ordered the tires, should be here Wednesday.

Front Cobra AV71 MT90HB-16 (74H) Blackwall - 9000000136 - $104.98 - DennisKirk.com
Rear Cobra AV72 160/80 B16 (81H) Blackwall - 90000021763 - $210.59 - MandMcycles.com

$315.57 - shipped to door

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Man things can never go smooth... Gotta call from MandMcycles, saying there was a mixup, and not only don't they have the tire in stock, he can't find it anywhere in the U.S.

Called Avon U.S. office, and was told It's a new product and is probably still on the boat on it's way here..

The press release on the U.S. office site dated July 2014, said all the new sizes will be available by September..

Did they loose a boat somewhere in the ocean?

Edit: Just got a call back, They haven't even started manufacturing these tires. What a joke..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts