Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running Avons on their Cross bike, and if so what do you think of them compaired to the Dunlops ?? Took a ride yesterday and at a rest stop I looked at my front tire and realized it needs to be replaced. Will probably replace both. Replaced the rear last year with Dunlop and now I can't rememebr where I ordered it from. Where's the best place to order from ?? Thanks in advance for replys.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I had the Avon Cobras -- exact same size and type as the stock E3s -- put on my XCT in late March, and have put more than 4,000 miles on them since then.

They seem to be wearing well, i.e., not much, no cupping, etc. The Cobras seem better handling on tar snakes than the E3s. Traction seems fine in dry and wet riding. I can't comment on noise, because I wear custom-molded ear plugs on the bike, and hearing aids off it.

It looks like I'll be buying another set of the Cobras, assuming that these last a good long time (for bike tires), unless Michelin comes out with our size -- in radials -- of their Commander IIs by the time I need fresh rubber; if that happens, I'll probably try those.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I put the Cobra on the back of my Vision about 3,500 miles ago and just ordered the matching front to replace my E3 that's getting the flat center strip-still has some life but want a fresh front for my upcoming summer tour. I have nothing but good to say about Avon, I have Venom's on my 99C. I've tried just about all the major brands and they are my favorites. Best price I found was at Jake Wilson $192 for the rear & $161 for the front shipped to my door.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
IThanks everyone for the replies. I'm on my second rear E-3 which still has life but front needs to be replaced. I had VenomXs on my Royal Star Venture and did quite well. My main concern is wet weather grip. The E 3s have been good but I'm always looking for something better. I take it you all like the Cobras better than the E 3s ??!!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I've used E3s since they came out on my Royal Star Venture and thought they were a great tire. That bike used the bias ply version and I could usually count on 18,000 miles on the rear tire. The radial E3 on my XCT haven't come close. I don't think it is my riding style or the extra torque of the 106. I see a new E3 Multi Tread being advertised claiming more mileage. Don't know it they are available yet. Does anyone have one with a significant number of miles on it yet? After decades with Dunlop I'm seriously thinking of looking elsewhere for my next set of tires.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw the mutitread on various website (tire sales) but when I drilled into sizes, our size is not available in that tire. I really only need a front tire right now but am a little leary of mixing brands. Any thoughts on a Cobra on the front and an E 3 on the rear ????

·
Registered
361 Posts
As long as they're both radials you can mix 'em up- I've been running just the opposite with a Cobra on back and Dunlop on front.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
12,500 Miles on my OEM Rear Tire and definitely needs replacing, just ordered a set of Avon Cobras .. Hopefully will get better mileage than did with the E3's but if will even come close in mileage with better grip will stick with them until Michelin makes the COM II in the XC Proper Size .. The Com II's are awesome on my FXR4 ..

·
Registered
76 Posts
I hate my E-3 in the rain,,,, I see some of you have better luck with the Cobras. I had Cobras on my last bike and thought they were good in the rain and just thought it was the extra torque of the 106 that made it seem slippery. My dealer said anyone that has switched to Avon has gone back to the E3 afterwards. I do not care that much about mileage I just want something I can trust when it is wet. I think after reading these posts it will be an Avon Cobra on the rear when it is due (soon).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Avon Cobras

I replaced my stockers with Cobras at 10k miles...could not be happier...wet riding now inspires more confidence. I also went with dyna beads...4k miles on them so far and am very happy.

Mike

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
OK, I'll jump in here with this; There are over 13K on my OEM E3s and the rear is just beginning to look like its nearing the end of its life. Prolly 2 or 3K more to go. But that's not unusual for me, I get great tire mileage on any vehicle. I once got over 22K on a set of the original Dunlop Elites. I usually get around 17K on a rear tire. Heck, I get over 80K on car and truck tires. My truck is loaded to 10,000 pounds all the time. 6K on the rear axle.
A shop I trust that deals with 'Wings and heavy cruisers is recommending Cobras, but before I go with them, I'd like to learn more about Michelin's Com 2s. I'm intrigued by the hype and am hoping there is substance behind it. Comments anyone?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
OK, I'll jump in here with this; There are over 13K on my OEM E3s and the rear is just beginning to look like its nearing the end of its life. Prolly 2 or 3K more to go. But that's not unusual for me, I get great tire mileage on any vehicle. I once got over 22K on a set of the original Dunlop Elites. I usually get around 17K on a rear tire. Heck, I get over 80K on car and truck tires. My truck is loaded to 10,000 pounds all the time. 6K on the rear axle.
A shop I trust that deals with 'Wings and heavy cruisers is recommending Cobras, but before I go with them, I'd like to learn more about Michelin's Com 2s. I'm intrigued by the hype and am hoping there is substance behind it. Comments anyone?
Coming from sport tourers, I'm used to getting only 5 or 6k miles out of a set of tires. My first set of E3s lasted around 11k miles and I was elated.

One thing to consider about tires is that tread life alone may not tell the whole story. A tire's rubber degrades from age and heat cycles. I once had a set of Avons on my Duc. They were the latest and greatest model and worked fine right about to about 5k miles. They still had a modest amount of tread left, but the sticky joo joo gave up the ghost. On the bright side, they did provide some of the most hair raising riding experiences I've had, before I promptly changed them.

Today, tires will handle anything I throw at them at on the street in warm and dry conditions. What sets them apart is cold/wet grip. I found Michelin Pilot Powers to be the gold standard and have been running a derivative of them on my FJR for several years. If that's the compound they are using for the sides of the Commander II's I think we might have a winner if they come in radials and make sizes to fit our bikes. But just so ya know, they ain't no ultra high mileage bunz....

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I had my e3's checked by Dunlap at americade. I had about 13000 miles on them then. They said I should get 17000 out of them easy.

Coming off the dunlaps on the Harley, these are great!

To those of you ready to bail on the e3's, the new ones are a multi-compound construction. Harder in the middle and softer on the shoulders. The Dunlop rep told me they also addressed, to some degree, the wet weather handling issues. Might be worth a little research.

Bill

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Saddle...My telling about getting 22K on Dunlop Elites goes back to the mid 80s, so kinda an apple/orange thing as I realize tires aren't the same today. Like you, I feel the same about the Commander IIs. And like Buell, I'm curious about the new E3s. Then there's the Avon Cobras to consider. Oy, so many choices.
Saddle...Anyone who selects and rides an FJR can't be all bad. If I were a young'un, that would be my ride as well. Bully for you!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I replaced the stock metzlers on my Stryker with Venoms, love em, I ruined my E3's on my recent road trip, ordered new venom tread yesterday, awesome handling on the Stryker, hoping for the same on my CC

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I tried the Avon Cobras on one of my RSVs and didn't like them as well as the bias ply E3. Didn't get as many miles out of the Avons either.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all for your info. Don't want this thread to end as I think many would like to talk/learn about tires. I just returned from a week long trip to Nashville. Did a lot of riding up in the area and got caught in some hellashis rain storms. I have to admit that my E3s performed very well. Got to looking at the tires before the trip and realized that both tires were still in pretty good shape. Riding the twisties I did notice that the tires are beginning to be a little noisy in a turn but haven't had any slippage wet or dry. I am not one to push it in the rain---I actually slow down most of the time. I am not an aggresive rider, although I do like to get on it when going up through the gears. Back when I had my first Royal Star Venture I put Venon X tires on it. Didn't like the handling on wet roads. But I did like them overall more than the stock "Stones. I'll keep watching the comments and do a little more research before I change tires again. Actually I am fairly well pleased with the E3s. Thanks again for the info all !!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts