Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys ( and gals ) sorry for all the questions but I'm just trying to figure out a few things based on your experiences. I have searched and read many threads on the buffeting issue and ways to resolve it. The consensus seems to be going with the Madstad set up. For whatever reason I just can't get by the looks of this set up so it is out for me. So I think I'm down to 2 choices based on the search. The Ness Flip or the Klockworks Flare. Am I just totally off base or are these 2 good choices?

I am 6'-1" and generally don't do a lot of hwy riding, maybe 10 - 15% of the time at those speeds.

Also are the 2013 batwings the same as the 2014, as far as the windshield holes.

Thanks again,
Steve

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
What is your bike?

I have a shorter than stock flare w/s on mine (Gustafsson) and I get zero buffeting. The top of it is below eye level. Wife, on the other hand, does get some buffeting.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is your bike?

I have a shorter than stock flare w/s on mine (Gustafsson) and I get zero buffeting. The top of it is below eye level. Wife, on the other hand, does get some buffeting.

Sorry I guess that would be a key piece of information. It's a 2014 XC, I pick it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Okay guys ( and gals ) sorry for all the questions but I'm just trying to figure out a few things based on your experiences. I have searched and read many threads on the buffeting issue and ways to resolve it. The consensus seems to be going with the Madstad set up. For whatever reason I just can't get by the looks of this set up so it is out for me. So I think I'm down to 2 choices based on the search. The Ness Flip or the Klockworks Flare. Am I just totally off base or are these 2 good choices?

I am 6'-1" and generally don't do a lot of hwy riding, maybe 10 - 15% of the time at those speeds.

Also are the 2013 batwings the same as the 2014, as far as the windshield holes.

Thanks again,
Steve
Unless you're short of torso (and therefore, at 6'1", very long of leg), I think the KlockWerks Flare will be too short for you. I had the Flare for a year, and it was fine for me, at 5'9", but switching bikes with my riding buddy -- about your height -- he found it resulted in too much buffeting. You definitely want to look well over windshields with flip-up lips (because those parts of such shields are not optically correct), but IMHO you'll be too far above the Flare.

I have the Madstad 11" shield and brackets now, and I got over the looks (which I think aren't that bad), but if you can't, I believe these are your choices beyond the ones sold by Victory (Victory and KlockWerks) and Ness:

7Jurock: http://www.7jurock.com/
Cee Bailey’s: http://www.ceebaileys.com/cycle
Clearview: http://www.clearviewshields.com
Gustafsson: http://www.bikescreen.com/
MadStad: http://www.madstad.com/

Finally, keep in mind that the presence, absence, and adjustment of fairing winglets, fork covers, crashbar covers, and lower pods and their louvers play a significant role in buffeting, too. What model bike did you say you got?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Sorry I guess that would be a key piece of information. It's a 2014 XC, I pick it up tomorrow.
I believe the fitment is the same as a 2013.

You should add your bike info to your sig or at least somewhere where it's apparent so we don't ever have to ask. thumb up

Congrats on your new ride!

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses so far. Sounds like to me that this is a crap shoot, unless I went with the Madstad. Which I would have to see one in person because the pics here and on the website don't appeal to me.

From going through the search function there are guys that are the same height as me and have totally opposite opinions on what works and doesn't. I just hate to waste money on buying something and not have it work as I thought it was going to.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
From going through the search function there are guys that are the same height as me and have totally opposite opinions on what works and doesn't. I just hate to waste money on buying something and not have it work as I thought it was going to.
One never knows for sure until one trys ... and sometimes that takes money. If it doesn't work, I chalk it up to the cost of finding out. One can generally sell the item if it doesn't work and at least recoupe some of the cost. I got my Gustafsson used for $100. It was very slightly scratched in a few places but I was able to buff them out with one of those headlight restoration kits.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I went through 5 windshields, fork lowers, and fairing wings trying to get rid of the buffeting on my Street Glide. So I think I can speak with knowledge on the subject of buffeting. BTW, I am 6'4" and long in the torso, so I sit high in the saddle.

The last, and best, shield I had on my SG was a flare from Long Ride Shields. That got rid of 80-90% of the buffeting. The remaining buffeting came from up over the tank, and unless you go with a shield such as the Madstad, you will probably never get rid of all of it. This is not as problematic if you're under, say, 5'10". The taller you ride in the saddle, the more of a problem the over-the-tank air becomes.

The issue is the vacuum created behind the windshield. If you've ridden behind a shield before, you know that there is a pocket of very still air right behind the shield. Nature abhors a vacuum, and seeks to fill that void. The flare shields do a great job of shoving the air up and over the shield, so the air to fill that void has to come from somewhere else. That somewhere else is up over the tank.

The Madstad shield solves this problem by leaving a gap between the shield and the fairing, a gap that lets in air and prevents the vacuum from forming behind the shield. Even as tall as I sit in the saddle, I get almost no buffeting with the Madstad shield. In fact, I'll never own another fairing Victory or Harley without a Madstad shield. That's how sold I am on their product.

I don't ride in the rain if I can possibly avoid it, so I can't address the issue of water coming up between the Madstad shield and the fairing. There is a gap there, which is the magic of how the Madstad shield works so well. You'll get more wind in your face with the Madstad should as opposed to a shield that seals to the fairing, but it's wind, not turbulence, and there's a big difference.

If you want the opinion of one who fought buffeting for 3 years on my Street Glide and finally gave up, save yourself the money and aggravation and get the Madstad shield. They don't look that bad in person. I don't give mine a second thought now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
All I can tell you is my experiences.....6'1" myself and bought the Windvest and the Klockwerks and they were horrible at anything over 35 mph and absolutely beat me up and knocked my glasses off at 60-65+. I went with the Madstad and I love it...love it...love it. I do understand your concern , but remember, you can lower it into the "normal" windshield position when just cruising around but put it up when you do ride on the hghway. the other thing you need is the lowers. there is a great post on here on how to make your own. buy a Memphis Shade bracket for about 45.00 and a sheet of 1/4 tinted plexiglass. It will take about 1 1/2 hours of your time to fabricate...lot better than 299.00 from Ma Vic.....just my opinions!

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts

Thanks again,
Steve
I'm 6'-5" so I'm a little taller than you. I had both the Ness Flip and the Klock Werks windshield. Don't waste your money on the Ness Flip. It's a piece of junk. The KW windshield is a good design but I would be inclined to believe that it is just a little too short for you. It does a good job of cleaning the air over the windshield but IMHO it is way too thin and of lesser quality than the other aftermarket windshields. My first KW windshield cracked immediately and the 2nd one cracked after about 8 months even with their rubber washer fix.

I now ride with a Cee Bailey's windshield and the quality on that windshield is many times better than the Klock Werks or the Ness Flip. I'd go with one of the other aftermarket windshield suppliers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am also trying to figure out how to fix this issue. I agree with the look of the madstad things can't stand them.

I am going to try lowers and then go from there.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Im 6'3" and love my klockwerx, but i have also taken padding out of my seat and lowered my bike 1-1 1/2" in the rear, so it acts taller. I do get some air from under the fairing, so i plan on getting the upper air controls(fairing mounted lowers?)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
90 Posts
I ordered my lowering kit Last night and should be here soon. So I'm waiting to do anything until thats installed.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
What kit did you get? I cut down my stock link to lower mine 1", that wasnt enough for me so i got the adjustable and am down about 1 1/2" now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm pasting this from a post I replied to a littler earlier-

I know a lot of people don't like the look of the madstad bracket, and I don't either. With that said, the way it reduced my buffetting, I couldn't care less how it looks. Don't get me wrong, looks are important, I think maybe I'm just getting to the age where function has priority over form.

I have, or actually had buffetting issues also. I'm 5'7, have a XC (non-tour), and here's what I have done so far to mitigate the buffetting. My bike has the round tubular bars. Prior to the following, my sunglasses would almost fly off my face at anything over 60 mph...

1. I added a klockwerks flare windshield. I still had some buffetting, and only noticed a slight reduction after adding the klockwerks.

2. I then added the madstad bracket system to the klockwerks flare, and it dropped my buffetting about 75%. Yes, I was amazed how much the madstad system worked!!

I am still getting a little dirty air coming from underneath the fairing. So, here's what I'm in the process of doing now.

3. I've added the Victory fairing wind deflectors, and have the OEM hard lowers on order.

After all this my buffetting should be almost non existent.

Good luck in your quest and ride safe!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App[/QUOTE]

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What kit did you get? I cut down my stock link to lower mine 1", that wasnt enough for me so i got the adjustable and am down about 1 1/2" now.

Any details on how to do this and what is involved would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I'm pasting this from a post I replied to a littler earlier-

I know a lot of people don't like the look of the madstad bracket, and I don't either. With that said, the way it reduced my buffetting, I couldn't care less how it looks. Don't get me wrong, looks are important, I think maybe I'm just getting to the age where function has priority over form.

I have, or actually had buffetting issues also. I'm 5'7, have a XC (non-tour), and here's what I have done so far to mitigate the buffetting. My bike has the round tubular bars. Prior to the following, my sunglasses would almost fly off my face at anything over 60 mph...

1. I added a klockwerks flare windshield. I still had some buffetting, and only noticed a slight reduction after adding the klockwerks.

2. I then added the madstad bracket system to the klockwerks flare, and it dropped my buffetting about 75%. Yes, I was amazed how much the madstad system worked!!

I am still getting a little dirty air coming from underneath the fairing. So, here's what I'm in the process of doing now.

3. I've added the Victory fairing wind deflectors, and have the OEM hard lowers on order.

After all this my buffetting should be almost non existent.

Good luck in your quest and ride safe!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App[/QUOTE]

Did you notice a difference with the fairing wind deflectors?

And the lowered stock link, i pulled it out, cut 5/8" out of the upright tube, slugged it with about a 3" piece of solid stock, rosette and butt welded it, and reinstalled.
There should be a pic attached, the top is after i cut the stock link down and is compared to the adjustable.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts