Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys BigBK with another question.

There has been a small rash of motorcycle thefts in the area and it got me thinking about how i can protect my bike.

What do people use/prefer? Anything? My last bike had the ignition lock...easy enough to break but it was piece of mind nonetheless. I see all manner of chains and things. I was thinking about carrying a bicycle ulock and just clamping it on my wheel spokes as a deterrent...at least they'd have to be ballsy enough to get a few guys and truck (or 5 minutes cutting it)...not just wheel it away.

What about a GPS tracker? That sounds like a good idea...i'm sure there's an app for that.

Just curious what Vic guys are using...i google searched a general consensus...but want to see what you guys think.

Cheers

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Haha ya i have a rather large loud black dog. I should have been a tad more specific. I commute rain or shine (12 years seniority for a parking spot for a car, but zero seniority for bikes). I work right down town and although leave my bike in the dockyard, technically its outside the dockyard and essentially right down town. My garage is alarmed so i'm not worried about home security...out and about is what i need.

But thanks Depot, i totally forgot about disc locks...any make you'd recommend? I'll have to get one of those bright orange reminder cables...dont wanna be "that guy".

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
well, I have a heavy U-lock, but I rarely use it since it's its own hassle...the XR's fender and brakes really make getting through the front wheel a pain. But I carry full coverage on the bike, and the upside to a late-model machine is you can typically replace it with one just like it if it gets stolen. I try not to worry about it too much. And a lot of anti-theft stuff (other than alarms) can cause a frustrated thief to wreck all sorts of things on your bike in his efforts to abscond with it. Which can render it just as unrideable as if he'd actually stolen it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I forget the name but the best I've seen is a pin type disk lock that is mounted to the brake caliper. You can't hurt the bike either if you forget about it, the wheel can't move in any direction once locked. It runs about $100 and I've never seen the need for something that expensive but I do have a cheap disk lock, padlock that I use if I am heading to a shady place or out on the road alone.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Do the newer bikes have the front fork lock on them. That is the only thing I use. That would seem to be a good a deterrent as anything.

You can roll the bike around in circles, at the very least it's an annoyance for the thief.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do the newer bikes have the front fork lock on them. That is the only thing I use. That would seem to be a good a deterrent as anything.

You can roll the bike around in circles, at the very least it's an annoyance for the thief.
thats what I have on my Vegas, good quality padlock does the trick

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 13 Judge and no forking lock (see what i did there :D ).

Looks like the disc lock is the way to go. Been checking out a few online...all pretty much same basic design. Relatively cheep for piece of mind too. T

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Is there no tab up on the frame and your lower triple? Pad lock does it for me. Rotor locks are nothing but trouble (don't even ask how I know) forget it just once and you'll be on the ground or buying a new rotor, I've never tried to ride with one but all I did was try and move the bike a couple of feet around my shop and bent the rotor back when I was young and stupid...

·
Registered
851 Posts
Personally I'd get the RoadLoK which is a permanently mounted rotor lock. It runs $240 to $300 but I don't think it would do the same damage as the other disk locks if you tried to leave without taking it off.

Another cheap thing you can do to help protect your bike is to use a plain motorcycle cover. The thought is thieves don't know if what is under the cover is worth stealing. Since they increase their exposure and therefore risk of being caught by looking under the cover they just continue on to an easier mark.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there no tab up on the frame and your lower triple? Pad lock does it for me. Rotor locks are nothing but trouble (don't even ask how I know) forget it just once and you'll be on the ground or buying a new rotor, I've never tried to ride with one but all I did was try and move the bike a couple of feet around my shop and bent the rotor back when I was young and stupid...
Wait what should there be? Is it possible i was just never informed...wow...boy would my face be red. I'll have to check that right away...I've only seen the ones in the ignition on the forks.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Wait what should there be? Is it possible i was just never informed...wow...boy would my face be red. I'll have to check that right away...I've only seen the ones in the ignition on the forks.
Not sure on the judge (never noticed) but on my Hammer if you turn the bars completely left there is a tab on my frame and a tab on the lower triple that align and you can stick a pad lock through it...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Not sure on the judge (never noticed) but on my Hammer if you turn the bars completely left there is a tab on my frame and a tab on the lower triple that align and you can stick a pad lock through it...

That is what I was talking about, I have that on my kingpin.

·
Registered
80 Posts
A keyless ignition renders your bike electronically dead without the FOB within ten feet or so, but a thief don't know that up front.
Do you you have a "keyless" ignition? If so, can you provide us the particulars (brand, installation involvement, $, satisfaction, etc)?

Thanks
Elliot
2012 CCT

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Do you you have a "keyless" ignition? If so, can you provide us the particulars (brand, installation involvement, $, satisfaction, etc)?

My experience: I wanted keyless ignition too, and ended up working on an RFID kit. Once I got everything working, I was very happy, and started to enjoy the new system. One day, as I was pulling into a parking lot, about 10-ft away from the parking stall I had eyed to land in, my motor died. Luckily I was able to roll into the stall and did not have to push the bike, as trying to restart did not yield a positive outcome.

It turned out that something had gone wrong where the keyless ignition was not working properly. It was some sort of bug in the electronics, as it would recognize me, turn the power on for a few seconds, and then shut it all off. To make a long story short, I had to hot-wire the bike (in a business parking lot, receiving some suspicious looks from by standards). I consider what happened to me as a potential safety issue, so I went back to the stock key ignition, and since then, I've been loving and appreciating the stock, mechanical key ignition. I have no further interest in going keyless. Don't let my experience be a deterrent, but do consider it as you make your decision to go keyless.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My experience: I wanted keyless ignition too, and ended up working on an RFID kit. Once I got everything working, I was very happy, and started to enjoy the new system. One day, as I was pulling into a parking lot, about 10-ft away from the parking stall I had eyed to land in, my motor died. Luckily I was able to roll into the stall and did not have to push the bike, as trying to restart did not yield a positive outcome.

It turned out that something had gone wrong where the keyless ignition was not working properly. It was some sort of bug in the electronics, as it would recognize me, turn the power on for a few seconds, and then shut it all off. To make a long story short, I had to hot-wire the bike (in a business parking lot, receiving some suspicious looks from by standards). I consider what happened to me as a potential safety issue, so I went back to the stock key ignition, and since then, I've been loving and appreciating the stock, mechanical key ignition. I have no further interest in going keyless. Don't let my experience be a deterrent, but do consider it as you make your decision to go keyless.
I hear you....but my buddy just had his 2002 Heritage Softail Springer stolen by some Bandidos who hot-wired his bike while he was just down a trail along a river. They just drove it off....lickety split. Not sure they would have been able to do that had he been keyless. For every good point, there is a counterpoint I guess. Anyone else have any experience in this area...??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts