Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone put anything wider than a 180 on a stock rim on a Vegas?

I was told on the Vegas if you wanted to put a 240-260 you would have to cut the subframe. Its more narrow on a Vegas, a jackpot and kingpin has a wider subframe.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have been wondering this myself. Whats the biggest you can go on a stock rim without modding anything? I want to up the size on both my front and rear when the time comes to replace them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have been wondering this myself. Whats the biggest you can go on a stock rim without modding anything? I want to up the size on both my front and rear when the time comes to replace them.
My buddy and the President of " Victory Motorcycle Club" Kevin, is head of service at my local Polaris / Victory said the subframe would have yo be cut yo allow anything wider...especially what I'm looking for, 240ish

·
Registered
264 Posts
That doesnt sound right at all, usually there is at least room to go up a size or two without mods.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That doesnt sound right at all, usually there is at least room to go up a size or two without mods.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
If you read it says a 240-260, is what you woukd have to cut for. That's not a size or two.

But, after doing some research at the dealership with cash in hand for a larger tire, they also said I couldn't go anything bigger than a 180... that could be wrong but I don't know why they would say that if it wasnt right.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
From what I have read you can get a 200 in there on that rim, but it will make the tire rounder then it should be. It was suggested to run them on a 5.5" rim, some of the bikes have that size on them, mine on my 07 is a 5" mag.

·
Registered
92 Posts
for the 200 if you have the 5.5" wide rim you are ok! if you have the 5" not a good idea!! regards!

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
What brand? What size? 200x?x18 how do you like it? What size is your rim the 5" or 5.5"

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
200 ON A 5" RIM MAKES FOR A TALLER TIRE THAT IS HORRIBLE IN TRANSITION[sorry bout the caps] I suppose if you didn't care about degrading your cornering, or straight line stability[at speed] You can run a 200, and keep the pressure low. Me I like my bike to perform the best it can

·
Registered
782 Posts
Why would you??

You do know that a Jackpot is a Vegas with a 250 rear tire, right?

Trade your Vegas for a Jackpot.

·
Premium Member
13,725 Posts
I was wondering if anyone put anything wider than a 180 on a stock rim on a Vegas?

I was told on the Vegas if you wanted to put a 240-260 you would have to cut the subframe. Its more narrow on a Vegas, a jackpot and kingpin has a wider subframe.
Not Kingpin. Hammer. Kingpin is the same as the Vegas.

·
Premium Member
13,725 Posts
will a jackpot or hammer swingarm fit on a vegas?
This comes up every so often. Someone has a Vegas and wants that fat back tire.

In the end the conversation comes down to if it's worth it to change everything on a Vegas or is it more cost effective to sell the Vegas and get a Jackpot.

It always ends up that it's better to just sell the Vegas and get a Jackpot or Hammer depending on if you want the inverted forks and dual disk brakes or not.

Remember; you have to change the exhaust, fender and paint it, front pulley, swingarm, wheel, tire, and some other stuff that doesn't come to mind right now. It's just adds up to too much money.

Oh, and you will lose some handling in the process. A rear tire much over 180 starts to lose handling. Not a huge deal but one worth mentioning.

·
Registered
782 Posts
This comes up every so often. Someone has a Vegas and wants that fat back tire.

In the end the conversation comes down to if it's worth it to change everything on a Vegas or is it more cost effective to sell the Vegas and get a Jackpot.

It always ends up that it's better to just sell the Vegas and get a Jackpot or Hammer depending on if you want the inverted forks and dual disk brakes or not.

Remember; you have to change the exhaust, fender and paint it, front pulley, swingarm, wheel, tire, and some other stuff that doesn't come to mind right now. It's just adds up to too much money.

Oh, and you will lose some handling in the process. A rear tire much over 180 starts to lose handling. Not a huge deal but one worth mentioning.

Exactly. The $4,000-$5000 it is likely to cost.... take that cash on top of your Vegas trade, and you can get a used Jackpot and feel no pinch.

Check cycletrader.com to find one, or ask your local dealer to look in the dealer network to find one for you. At most, and I do mean at MOST you'll add $500 to the cost of the bike for them to transfer it in from a dealer out of state. Some dealers will do it for a lot less to get the sale (or just add it into your price without you knowing it).

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i wasn't thinking it would be to much hassle, the rear fenders on the victorys make the tire look so small, so I was just looking at options.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2005 Vegas with a Metzeler ME 880 XXL 200 50R/18 on the rear. I just put a new tire on it last week and it handles beautifully! I have also lowered mine 1.5" and re-routes the rear wiring harness. The only issue i have had was yesterday when i went over a bump/hill very quickly and the tire bottomed out on the rear subframe NOT THE FENDER! SO, if you lower your vegas and put a 200 rear on it, You can leave the stock wiring to the taillighting and not worry about the tire bottoming out on the fender and ruining your wiring harness, it is protected by the tire width and subframe!

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I have a 2005 Vegas with a Metzeler ME 880 XXL 200 50R/18 on the rear. I just put a new tire on it last week and it handles beautifully!...
Did you take it above 80mph yet?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Don't do it. Wider is NOT better, unless it is specifically desinged that way. If it was better, the bikes would come that way from the factory. Don't assume you know something that engineers who desinged these bikes don't.

I have been making this mistake with cars all my life, and each time I get tires that are off spec (wider or taller), I end up with better traction, but poor suspension performance, poor tire wear, loss if comfort due to a more bouncy, jarring ride. The list goes on. You have to remember that the suspension is designed with a certain tire weight in mind, so when you go to a wider (heavier) tire, you end up overworking the suspension components as they are not designed to control the bounce and force of a heavier tire.

I have learned my lesson. Learn from me. DON"T DO IT! There is absolutely no benefit.

And those of you who will say " I felt a difference", well, you're right, it's different, but not better different all around, and it actually prematurely wears out your suspension.

cheers

1 - 20 of 27 Posts