Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always change my oil myself, but this spring I am getting ready to get my Jackpot out for the first time (late I know) I want to take it to the dealer to have a complete service done. After having some medical issues last fall/winter I did not change the oil out as I usually do. Will it do any harm to ride the bike about 45 miles to the dealer? Or should I change the oil first? Since I will already be paying for a service, I was just going to let them mess with doing the oil change.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'm no technician, but I say go ahead and ride it in and let them do it, if that's what you want. No biggie.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I'm only right about half the time, so don't put too much weight on my post. That being said, if I were you, I would change the oil before you run the motor, and ask the dealer to deduct the oil change cost off their service.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I suppose it depends on how many miles you have on your oil now. My dealer told me that if I have less than half life left in the oil when I park it for the winter, I should have the oil changed before storage. If there is more than half life left it should be good for the spring to ride.
As the dealer put it, it is mainly due to the amount of contaminants in the oil and they will start to seep into the metal as it sits during storage.
The other thing to consider is if the bike was heated and cooled many times over winter. That can cause alot of condensation in the crankcase, in that case, I would not drive it at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The other thing to consider is if the bike was heated and cooled many times over winter. That can cause alot of condensation in the crankcase, in that case, I would not drive it at all.
Just wondering but I'm assuming this would be with the bike stored and not running and not a product of the bike engine having been on and running and then the cooling that would come about from the bike being in cold air for example.

I know, stupid clarification but I'm tired and thought that was an interesting statement.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. I also didn't quite understand the comment about the condensation. wouldn't drive it at all? you mean till i change the oil? And I should still warm up the motor before changing the oil right? or no?

·
Registered
104 Posts
While you can't always go by looks, I would take a look it to see it if broke down or if there's any milky-ness to it or signs of break down (like sludge) on the dipstick. To be safe I would change it anyway. Not worth running that stuff through your engine just to get your moneys worth out of a full service. Some of the most lengthy and expensive fixes are a consequence of people trying to save money or time someplace prior. Just my opinion

·
Registered
476 Posts
If your bike was in a heated basement then it is fine to ride. If not just pull the dipstick and look in, if it has any milk look on top drain it. Either way it needs to be warmed up , and if it did have a slight amount of milk ,it would evaporate when warmed up so ride it I say. That's me from where it only gets down to 29* for about twelve minutes a year, so what do I know;)

·
13,247 Posts
Be on the safe side. Don't start the motor just pull the drain plug and let it drain. Yes it will take longer but you have the time.
Then go to your dealer and tell him you don't need a oil change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts