Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'm new on here, names Cody. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me. Before I owned this bike it was my buddies and I rode it quite often. I've been more of a sport bike kind of guy (guess that's the kid in me) but I love this hammer 8 ball. Anyways here's my problem....

I have a 2010 victory hammer 8 ball and it won't start. It sat for about 3 months with no fuel in the tank. Got it out, slapped a new battery on it and fueled it up and it cranked right up. Rose it for a day and a half then it acted like its starving for fuel. I checked battery, fuel pump, spark plugs and wires. Everything I know to check. It cranks great and has good voltage just won't catch or turn over if you will. Even tried a little starting fluid and I got nothing. Any help would be so much appreciated. I'm new to owning a victory and new to the forum.

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Dunno mate these new fangled modern machines leave me out in the cold if they stop and its not out of fuel.
Basics, compression, fuel, ignition.
First undo your battery connections and thoroughly clean them then retighten them. May as well fit star washers to the bolts when you do it as theyre notorious for loosening.
Then smear di-electric grease over them.
Has it got plenty of fresh fuel in the tank? Sounds silly but Ive helped a few broken down riders in the past who were actually out of fuel!
Spark? Has it got spark at the plugs?
Make sure the plug is earthed to the motor so you dont fry the ignition...has it got a good spark on both plugs? While you got em out you might as well do a compression check as well.
This post will bump you back up the top where one of our experts can maybe help.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I checked the plugs and even put new ones in. Late last night I was trying to see if they would spark and I didn't get any spark, so I took the cables off and tested them with a meter and I'm getting power through them. Possible this whole thing could be an electrical problem? I just don't know where to start.

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
So no spark, that's a good point for looking then .... Do you have a manual ? You can download from Bbob member signature ....

There's is a fuse for IGNITION 15 Amps ... Check that one also

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got one downloaded on my phone. I checked all the fuses and they appear to be good, but looks can always be decieving. I'll check it when I get home from work and probably go ahead and change it. Any other suggestions? If need be I'll stop and get anything on the way home I would need. Makes me sick to my stomach every time I walk in the garage and see it dead like that.

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
If the park cables measured good
If the fuse measured good (let's assume)

Then you can try for a spark again, if NOT ?? is there a current TO the coil and FROM the coil ?? You could Google that now and see if this is checkeble by multimeter ??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It can be checked and I will check the coil and the fuse when I get home. Thanks for the help guys I'll get back to you and let you know if either of these is the problem.

·
12,968 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have already checked my fuel pump, it hummus when you turn the key on and I disconnected the hose and it squirts fuel out when it's turned on to prime.

·
12,968 Posts
the pump making noise means nothing. You have to test it. You want 49 plus pounds

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay I'm going to swing by autozone and get one of those gauges and check it when I get off work I'll get back to you on what it's at

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Absolutely no spark and nothing on the ignition coil going to have to order one but it'll be a week or more until I get one unless anyone knows someone on here that can get one faster

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Replace the main fuse before you go ordering a coil.
From what I gather on here they do fail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Which main fuse are you talking about? The engine relay? The 15A ignition fuse is fine changed it earlier.

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
As I said at the start... Im no electrical genius, just the basics,
You now know theres no spark.
I hear in here theres a main fuse that goes west.
Others will know more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts