Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I told you guys I would bombard you with newbie questions. Lol. Since y'all have many riding miles I figured I would see what recommendations you had on leather jackets. I don't know if a regular leather jacket is good or should I look for an armored one? I found this and thought it was pretty cool since it matches my bike and has a V on it. But very pricy so might get something else. Any thoughts? Pros and cons?

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
I gave up the leather a few years ago for an Olympia brand jacket made of cordura mesh which has a removable thermal liner and an over/under rain jacket as well. I find it to be a lot more versatile for varied weather for daily riding, but also for trips with major altitude changes. I wear it in 100+ degrees and down through freezing temps as well.

It came with armor...but I don't use it.

Reactions: VicVisionBulldog

·
Registered
483 Posts
If that jacket doesn't have any vents I'd find another. Down south like we are leather can be warm. Without my zippered vents I wouldn't get to wear it as much as I do, which is still not much.

If it were me I'd buy a nice mesh jacket and a nice non leather winter jacket. You can probably get both for less than most single leather jackets. For the winter coat I would look for something with good vents, removable liner, and one that's waterproof. That way it can double as your bad weather riding jacket.....it you do that kind of thing. My Victory Tour jacket works great for that. Depending on your size you might be able to still get a killer deal online for one.

Not that I dislike leather. I have two leather jackets, two leather vest, and leather chaps. I just don't get as much use out of my leather jackets as I do my others. In the South a nice mesh jacket will get the most use.

Reactions: olddad64

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Look at website Leatherup.com They have lots of leather jackets and other types and good prices.

G'day,

Vinish

Reactions: BBob

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Not that I dislike leather. I have two leather jackets, two leather vest, and leather chaps. I just don't get as much use out of my leather jackets as I do my others. In the South a nice mesh jacket will get the most use.[/QUOTE]
AGREE 100%

·
Registered
348 Posts
Although leather looks great and lasts forever if you take care of it. Its bloddy hot in the summer months and you will find yourself leaving it off or at the very least open so it wont offer the protection you want if you go down. Mesh/Textile jackets are the way to go as they alow air to flow through them while still giving the same protection.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:eek wow. I wasn't expecting all this great info. I just figured leather was the way to go for protection. It's cold here so I wasn't even thinking about summer months when most of the riding will be. I believe this leather jacket is vented but if y'all think mesh is better for all climates than I'll start looking at them. You guys are great.

·
Registered
802 Posts
an advantage to the meshed gear, in the cold or cooler weather you can put the liner in and in the warmer weather remove it and have the best of both worlds...8)

Rob

Reactions: Draft6969

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Reactions: Draft6969

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I've got 2 leather jackets besides my (3) mesh jackets. I'm ready for whatever the weather is. My mesh jackets also have the hard protective shoulder and elbow pads. I got a real nice leather biker jacket at a "Good Will" store fro $40 :grin

·
13,263 Posts
If you get caught in a all day rain your leather jacket will turn into a 15 pound hunk of leather. Textile jackets has body armor and plenty of vents. It repels water and is lightweight. Textile jackets normally come with 45 degree arm sleeves to give you more relaxed arm feeling

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
If you get caught in a all day rain your leather jacket will turn into a 15 pound hunk of leather. Textile jackets has body armor and plenty of vents. It repels water and is lightweight. Textile jackets normally come with 45 degree arm sleeves to give you more relaxed arm feeling
That may be but they got no "cool" factor at all...
Least in my Schott I look cool even when wringing wet:devil
Anyway if it get heavy rain I got a garbage bag I can put a head and arm holes in:wink
You yanks are spoilt!:angel hehe!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I rode 5 hours in the light rain of Hurricane Rita on my Buell with a Heavy Leather Jacket that I gave to a brother. He still uses it today. I personally didn't mind the wet jacket. It was the wet seat even with rain pants on from a walmart. We got soaked. Those were the days!

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
I rode 5 hours in the light rain of Hurricane Rita on my Buell with a Heavy Leather Jacket that I gave to a brother. He still uses it today. I personally didn't mind the wet jacket. It was the wet seat even with rain pants on from a walmart. We got soaked. Those were the days!
Yeah...nuthin worse on a long ride than wet cods!....and it always seems to get in!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everyone has such great points. Leather has the cool factor. Mesh is cool and still offers protection. And good will has them cheap. Lol. I think the best advice is from

FieldSheer Smart design with good light armor. Leather Jackets can Zip up to Mesh pants too. In today's firesale markets you can have more than one jacket : )

Why not get 2 so I can switch. Lol.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Motorbikerx........I like your sense of humor....:grin

Reactions: Motorbikerx

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Motorbikerx........I like your sense of humor....:grin
Humour...humour???... mate Im being serious:grin
Just sent ya a friend request...
Anyone understands my jest cant be too bad:devil

·
Registered
249 Posts
My Joe Rocket fully armored jacket weighs about 20lbs and it is impossible to be cold in. It does get warm, but has beaucoup vents and a removable liner. Couldn't ask for more. Plus, I got it for free with a bike a bought.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw thoes and they are very nice. And sure cant beat the price. But I have fully decided to take motorbikes advice for all my decisions from now on.

I say please yourself mate....
And went out and bought exactly what I wanted. :wink
It also has vents, armor and removable liner.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts