Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering. personal thought after a long winter storage it probably would be better at first start up for spring. opinions please.im gonna start her up for 10 min or so and change the oil anyway but im figurin the thicker oil will take longer to properly lube the system anyhow. dont want to scar anything.thanks.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right now its the vic oil in there. I was just wondering if anyony used them and if it really would be beneficial. think i have to much time on my hands right now.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
No, not useful unless your are planning to ride it when it is -30 F outside. By the time the weather heats up to ridable conditions, the oil temp will be plenty warm enough to get on, fire it up, and take off.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Oil viscosity shouldn't be a problem. On a cold start ( I checked your weather, +51F isn't cold) I'd be more concerned about the starter. Make sure it has successfully started the engine (with a little bit of throttle) before you release the button. If you are still worried about it put a trouble light under the engine for an hour.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it has been unseasonably warm around these parts lately. That is part of the reason why I started thinkin about it gettin the itch. I usually dont think about takin it out till April normally. Sand and road salt and what not.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Dipsticks with a heater element built in? I know my grandfathers old Diesel had the cold weather package on it and we would plug it in if it got below 20 degrees, never seen that for a bike.

·
13,262 Posts
53canuck

is absolutely correct.
The trouble light creates heat and its what Rylan at the vic shop says to do. That is you have a old fashioned light bulb

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies guys. Truth be told I saw this video on FB with different viscosity oils when they are cold. They lined them up in their own glass and tipped them to pour them out and I was actually surprised at how slow if at all that they poured out. That just got me to thinking about the first start up when im ready. I may use the light bulb idea so I can get the old oil out before I run it. I think I just have too much time on my hands waiting for it to warm up.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I used a heated garage .....:D

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
I seen bikes pushed over to sit above remnants of last nights fires at the Winter Rally at Nerriga in 1981 . It was like 9 below zero in C scale the night before.
I survived the night by drinking copious amounts of Stones Green Ginger wine which resulted in me dropping my XS650 rat while doing donuts.
I awoke with frost in my beard and discivered why my bike wouldnt restart the night before......kill switch had been bumped to off!!
Yeah these hardened rallygoers with BMW boxers parking bikes over fires.
Sub zero temps here are isolated to southern highlands in winter.
It was the first day of Autumn here yesterday.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I think i would just drain the oil into a pot bring inside then put it on a stove to warm it and put it back in the engine... Just don't use one of your wife's pots.... They kinda frown on that stuff :eek

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Baking painted parts in the oven really turns em on too!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Baking painted parts in the oven really turns em on too!
I once took her hairdryer down to the garage to do a little wiring [Shrink Tubes] And i was told in no uncertain terms that was something I should never do.......Her tools are her tools, And my tools are my tools.... And never the twain shall met.... ...''NEVER''......:|

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
I changed oil with a stainless steel cooking thing ... I washed it and put it back into the kitchen ... Never told her

Sent from my A51w using Tapatalk

Reactions: Motorbikerx

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
I think i would just drain the oil into a pot bring inside then put it on a stove to warm it and put it back in the engine... Just don't use one of your wife's pots.... They kinda frown on that stuff :eek
Old airplanes had kinda of that same system, the dry sump tanks had a heater element that ran though the middle of it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts