Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

It's been a long winter... but spring is finally here, and I'm getting the bike ready! I have been on the fence all winter about getting a Utopia backrest, but I'm a little concerned that it wouldn't give me the lumbar support that I want.

In all the pictures that I have found on the Internet, it looks like the backrest sits high, and is a flush with the back of the drivers seat on the XC. I would need it to be lower, with about 2 inches forward so the needed pressure/positioning would give me the lower back support I'm looking for.

Does anyone have their Utopia set up like this? If so... by all means.... post some pictures! I would love to hear any and all feedback on the backrest.

Thank you all for listening...

-Sol

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a Utopia on my 13 Vision and I have really enjoyed having it. It is top notch being extremely well made. It matches my stock seat perfectly.

If I had to complain about anything, it is wide. Now while I like that it does bother my wife's legs on longer rides. Nothing she can't live with but she could use a bit of a taper to the pad to be ideal for her. I didn't opt for the removable mount which I probably should have added when I ordered it.

I just ordered a Mustang seat with drivers backrest that will be here tomorrow. I bought it because I too have back issues from a recent work injury and while the stock seat has always worked for me I could use a better seat on my 08. That seat I believe is a low and is just not great, plus it doesn't have a backrest. I was going to add another Utopia to it too but decided to go with the Mustang because even if I added the Utopia I would still be in the low seat. I 'm going to take the seat off my 13 and put it on the 08.

I've had Mustang seats before with the backrest and they may adjust to the point you're wanting. I included some pics of the Utopia in its lowest position and adjusted completely forward. If you're interested in seeing the Mustang I can add those pics after I get it on the bike. I also went with the Mustang because the drivers backrest is a better size for my wife on long hauls. I hope she and I both enjoy it.

I don't know why they are sideways. Maybe you can save them and turn them on your computer or device for a better look.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah.... thank you for the pictures! Yeah, by looking at them, I don't think the Utopia is going to work for me. In order for it to give the support I need, it would have to be lower, and forward about 2 inches more. I saw a video that Andy had done on YouTube for the backrest. He indicated in the video that it went forward about 5 inches... but looking at your pictures, I don't see where that's the case (or at least it's not in the area that I would need for it to be in).

Thank you for the pictures... greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Before you conclude the Utopia backrest will not work for you, consider the following two pictures of this back rest on my wife's XCT. This backrest has a tremendous amount of forward/backward adjustment. It can come as far forward as you see in my pictures or as far back as you saw in the pictures posted by VicVisionBulldog.

G'day,

Vinish

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before you conclude the Utopia backrest will not work for you, consider the following two pictures of this back rest on my wife's XCT. This backrest has a tremendous amount of forward/backward adjustment. It can come as far forward as you see in my pictures or as far back as you saw in the pictures posted by VicVisionBulldog.

G'day,

Vinish
Now that looks more along the lines of what I was looking for, Vinish!

Is the backrest sturdy when set that far forward? I would suspect that there's some give to it... I'm just wondering if would support me (195 pound guy).

Thanks for the clarification!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ive had a Utopia on my Voyager XII for years and I just ordered one for my new Vision. As mentioned it has plenty of forward and backward adjustment and up and down as well. Its solid as the mount on the bike its self so if that does not move than the backrest wont either.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Now that looks more along the lines of what I was looking for, Vinish!

Is the backrest sturdy when set that far forward? I would suspect that there's some give to it... I'm just wondering if would support me (195 pound guy).

Thanks for the clarification!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
The backrest is quite solid even when pushed forward. You may see a small metal rod at the back bottom of the backrest in my pictures. That is NOT part of the backrest. That is merely a short socket extension that I used to hold the backrest in a vertical position for the pictures. Without this, the backrest would pivot down which would make it easier to throw a leg over. Once you put your back against it, the backrest would pivot up to match the plane of your back.

As someone else noted, there are two disadvantages to the Utopia backrest that I have found. First, it is wide so a passenger must spread their legs a little wider. Second, it is hard mounted such that the only way to remove it is to take out a long bolt, nut, washers. This is a double-edged sword. The backrest cannot be stolen easily but to remove the seat, you have the extra step of removing the backrest upper plate and pad (removes as a unit). This is a bit tricky as the washers on the backrest mount want to fall into the chasm in the seat when the mounting bolt is removed. Someone did mention something about a Utopia quick release but I didn't see this option when I bought mine a couple years ago.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the Utopia on my 14 XC and I have the quick release for it which allows the backrest to be taken off by just pulling it off.
The cost of the quick release is like $65 for the XC.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sorry for not showing its full range. I looked at it again and where mine stops it does have more thread on the screw but it locks up. I'm sure with a wrench I could get it to go full but I've never needed to go up that far so I've never given it any thought. I just thought that's where it stopped.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry for not showing its full range. I looked at it again and where mine stops it does have more thread on the screw but it locks up. I'm sure with a wrench I could get it to go full but I've never needed to go up that far so I've never given it any thought. I just thought that's where it stopped.
Bad Dog!! :grin

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The backrest is quite solid even when pushed forward. You may see a small metal rod at the back bottom of the backrest in my pictures. That is NOT part of the backrest. That is merely a short socket extension that I used to hold the backrest in a vertical position for the pictures. Without this, the backrest would pivot down which would make it easier to throw a leg over. Once you put your back against it, the backrest would pivot up to match the plane of your back.

As someone else noted, there are two disadvantages to the Utopia backrest that I have found. First, it is wide so a passenger must spread their legs a little wider. Second, it is hard mounted such that the only way to remove it is to take out a long bolt, nut, washers. This is a double-edged sword. The backrest cannot be stolen easily but to remove the seat, you have the extra step of removing the backrest upper plate and pad (removes as a unit). This is a bit tricky as the washers on the backrest mount want to fall into the chasm in the seat when the mounting bolt is removed. Someone did mention something about a Utopia quick release but I didn't see this option when I bought mine a couple years ago.

G'day,

Vinish

Thank you for the clarification Vinish. I do have to ask, however.... since the rod in the picture isn't a part of the seat, how does the bottom of the backrest maintain it's position if one does elect to have it adjusted out that far? is it at all possible?

I ask, because the lower portion is where I would be expecting the support to be, considering my primary concern is lumbar support.

Once again... thanks for taking the time to clarify!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thank you for the clarification Vinish. I do have to ask, however.... since the rod in the picture isn't a part of the seat, how does the bottom of the backrest maintain it's position if one does elect to have it adjusted out that far? is it at all possible?

I ask, because the lower portion is where I would be expecting the support to be, considering my primary concern is lumbar support.

It stays in place when you're in the saddle. Your body holds it up. When you get off the bike it will simply fall forward.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts

The arm that connects the backrest to the mounting bracket goes from a mounting bracket pivot point just above the seat to the vertical center of the backrest. At the point where this arm attaches to the backrest is a second pivot. Hence the arm can bend forward and the backrest can also pivot. The arm cannot go any further backward then you allow because it is held in place by a set bolt. When you are on the bike and your back is against the backrest, you put pressure on the backrest both above and below the upper pivot point. This assures that the backrest will conform to the plane of your back. It all works just fine and provides support everywhere the backrest touches your back.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The arm that connects the backrest to the mounting bracket goes from a mounting bracket pivot point just above the seat to the vertical center of the backrest. At the point where this arm attaches to the backrest is a second pivot. Hence the arm can bend forward and the backrest can also pivot. The arm cannot go any further backward then you allow because it is held in place by a set bolt. When you are on the bike and your back is against the backrest, you put pressure on the backrest both above and below the upper pivot point. This assures that the backrest will conform to the plane of your back. It all works just fine and provides support everywhere the backrest touches your back.

G'day,

Vinish
That sounds good. I currently have a Grasshopper backrest, and as much as I like the backrest I find that since it doesn't pivot/adjust at all, I have support at the top of the backrest (which is about half way up my back), it lacks any type of support (it doesn't even make contact with) my lower back. That is where I need the support the most.

I had actually started to even consider something along the lines of this:

https://www.comfortzoneride.com/collections/used/products/max-support-backrest

But I think that the Utopia might be just the thing I'm looking for!

Thank you for all your help with this

1 - 17 of 17 Posts