Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a way of adapting an after market fuel filter to the vic set up? I'm at 99,000 miles and will very soon have over 100,000 miles on this filter. Thought maybe I'd change it out but damn I hate paying out that much for an OEM filter.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
If you've taken your bike to 100k miles then be good to her and pony up for a new filter, I mean come on.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
100K miles and its still flowing, ...gives me confidence to stretch more out of mine then.
Go on leave it in and then we will know just how far they can go before the pump gives up.
If you think your new filter is expensive you should see the price of them in Australia!:eek

·
Registered
632 Posts
You might want to try this... Gofundme .com...

If you need a little help with the price of a Victory filter..:wink

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
You got my curiosity up on the price so I looked it up. About $100 for filter, new gasket, and screws which are all called for if memory serves in replacing the filter.

You must have amazingly clean fuel where you live for your filter to last this long without replacing. Generally they are toast by 30k and look like the burnt kind.

At 100k miles I would go ahead and change out the fuel line from the tank ($70) and carefully inspect the fuel lines inside the tank when you change it.

If you go through one of our vendors here (Toledo) you can probably get around 20% off putting it in the neighborhood of $135 for everything. That sounds like cheap insurance to me to make sure the job is done right with quality parts. Heck; if the stock fuel filter has lasted this long, who's to say an aftermarket one will too? Is it worth saving $10-$30? Your money your call.

I understand the question though. Someone brought up the IAC somewhere and I think it was half_crazy who mentioned it was a common part available elsewhere for much less. It's great when that happens. If you can find the same thing with the filter and verify it's the exact same filter then great! I like saving money too. I also like keeping our vendors in business so they will be there when we need them next time. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
How long does your automobile filter last? Since autos generally get less mpg doesn't a automobile run much more fuel through their filters? Just a thought here

·
12,983 Posts
How long does your automobile filter last? Since autos generally get less mpg doesn't a automobile run much more fuel through their filters? Just a thought here
cars or trucks have a inline canister fuel filter. There very cheap and are only good for 50 thousand. If you burn up your car fuel pump it will run you around a grand to have dealer replace it

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here is mine. I rebuilt my salvage bike and it sat for awhile with 3800 or so miles on it. I figured the fuel filter may have been eaten up so I ordered a new one from Paul at Honda East. I kept the old one and put the new one in storage....it looked pretty good to me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok First to those referring its only about money. Yes I took a huge hit when I went from the field to a desk job but I still make a buck and a half and I have No debt, no house payment, no car payment, nadda. I can afford a filter.

I will not knowingly take advantage of a business or person and expect the same in return.

Next I know there are some very talented people here who may have come up with a work around. (Half Crazy as an example I have witnessed come up with a save for our carbs years ago on the lc1500 where no one else could) I see no reason that a filter couldn't have been adapted to the end of the tube as it is.

Next; it irks the hell out of me to be taken advantage of. IE the gl1800 does not have a serviceable fuel filter and I know of GL's on the road with over 400,000 miles. There is no reason the Vic filter had to be designed this way other than to keep it proprietary and then over charge the customer.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bob, I guess all fuel must be getting better. I have had this bike from Ca as far East as Albuquerque, as far North As Calgary and many places in between.

·
Registered
145 Posts
As I get my popcorn out and set up my easy chair (its gonna get good in this thread) I wonder did you see Rylans statement on aftermarket filters on facebook. There are none. Did you watch his video and his thoughts on the filter change and changes?

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Motorbiker... I have been to your country many times, and I have seen first hand the extra costs you endure for imports. Pretty stiff to say the least.

My fuel filter is still working fine, I just figure its time to consider a change out. I'm still on my original belt and pulleys as well. According to Vic they should have been changed out about 70,000 miles ago as well.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Soul,, No I have not, I do not use facebook. That being said, no one person is the know all to end all in anything. I've seen that over and over again in life.

Oh and I damn sure am not about to change that fuel filter out twice a year.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think what I will do is replace with oem and then look over the set up on my old to see if there is any possible way to get a go around.

If a wing can run 400,000 miles with no serviceable fuel filter one must look for options.

I never shoot two bullets if I'm positive one is sufficient and if its not I use three.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
You got my curiosity up on the price so I looked it up. About $100 for filter, new gasket, and screws which are all called for if memory serves in replacing the filter... :)
Bbob where did you find that price ? Can you post a link please ?

In the next few months I'll place an collective order including this filter just for stock ....

Do you guys think it is necessary to replace the bolts ?? Guess I'll order that toooooo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts