Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to get a clear idea of what is needed to get my victory running right, before i take it on a long trip. Basically i think i need a re-map/ new map/ adjustment to my bike to fix the backfire on decel, choppy throttle, and popping on gear shift.
the 3 dealers in my area all suggest i get a powercommander. the bike is under warranty still, and i have added nothing to the bike since purchase.
would there be no course of action besides adding a pc? All 3 have said that a map from victory probably will not work since they are designed to run victory pipes....
my bike has
-rpw big slash 2 into 1 pipes
-k/n air filter
-vented airbox cover
(i dont see any o2 sensors in the pipes so that may be worth noting)

anyone know a tech or dealer that can assist in these issues??

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
I have tried to get a clear idea of what is needed to get my victory running right, before i take it on a long trip. Basically i think i need a re-map/ new map/ adjustment to my bike to fix the backfire on decel, choppy throttle, and popping on gear shift.
the 3 dealers in my area all suggest i get a powercommander. the bike is under warranty still, and i have added nothing to the bike since purchase.
would there be no course of action besides adding a pc? All 3 have said that a map from victory probably will not work since they are designed to run victory pipes....
my bike has
-rpw big slash 2 into 1 pipes
-k/n air filter
-vented airbox cover
(i dont see any o2 sensors in the pipes so that may be worth noting)

anyone know a tech or dealer that can assist in these issues??
We had a Customer with this problem too. they had the victory map and it didn't help at all. It needs something like a power commander. you can get a power commander with a map in it already for the RPWs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oddly i am at the pc site and dont see anything for the rpw exhaust just these
909-ALL All Maps
909-004 Arlen Ness 2into1 exhaust, Arlen Ness airbox , Stock ECM
909-002 Victory Drag Pipes and stock air filter
909-001 Completely Stock Bike
909-000 Zero Map

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
oddly i am at the pc site and dont see anything for the rpw exhaust just these
909-ALL All Maps
909-004 Arlen Ness 2into1 exhaust, Arlen Ness airbox , Stock ECM
909-002 Victory Drag Pipes and stock air filter
909-001 Completely Stock Bike
909-000 Zero Map
Opps sorry! They must only have it for the XC/XR.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
A PCV and custom dyno tune should cure what ails ya. I had the ecu flash with my Ness Big Honkers,and performance filter. Had all kinds of popping. When I got the PCV and had it "dialed in" things were much smoother. Had a similar situation on my previous bike. Had to get a PC 3 to stop all the popping and backfiring.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
403 Posts
My thought on the matter is that a PC is a great way to mask an existing problem. But there may be two things going on here:

1) You are hearing experiencing normal Victory things and coming off another bike you're not used to it and haven't been informed about "normal" Victory traits, like a small decal pop on certain years and setups. A PC won't help this.

2) You bike has a problem (intake leak for example) and you dealer(s) isn't smart enough to fix the bike and instead wants a blanket band-aid: the PC. The PC won't help this either.

Your setup is very mild, I see no ready for a PC. But we're going to need more info: year, model, history.

·
13,247 Posts
I'm sure he check for exhaust leaks at the heads

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
details

ahh sorry i'm so used to posting in the jackpot section i thought i had...

2007 Vic V. Jackpot
-7k miles
-RPW big slash 2 into 1
-k/n filter
-vented airbox
-no "known" engine work (cams, port/polish, headwork)

checked
-no leaks at headers
-no o2 sensor ports open
-throttle linkage tight
-no intake boot leaks (used carb spray method)

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
ahh sorry i'm so used to posting in the jackpot section i thought i had...

2007 Vic V. Jackpot
-7k miles
-RPW big slash 2 into 1
-k/n filter
-vented airbox
-no "known" engine work (cams, port/polish, headwork)

checked
-no leaks at headers
-no o2 sensor ports open
-throttle linkage tight
-no intake boot leaks (used carb spray method)
Simple solution for you is to install a 05 Hammer drag amp ,and have the TPS adjusted; by someone with a clue.
More complicated is to install a STOCK 05 Hammer map, have a TPS adjustment done, and add a fuel controller
Your basic problem is that your underlying map has a fuel strategy that shuts off the injectors in closed throttle application, and leans the bike out around the 10% throttle range. This was done to clean the converters that you no longer have. The 05 Hammer was the only 100" open loop bike that did not have converter, and so no need to keep them clean

EDIT: BTW I rarely look at what forum a question is posted in. So assuming I know what you ride because of where it is posted. Does not work *LOL*
Also since things change over time. A year is almost more important then a model

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i understand. the 4 or 5 forums i am a member of allow me to add data into my signature. i have done that here as well so that the same issue doesnt come up again.
i think what i need to do is determine what i have on the bike now (as far as the map/ program) is there a way to do this or a way to reset to stock (w/ out using the dealer here that hasnt even been trained by victory yet!)

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Gonna take a dealer to do it. If the dealer you are talking to is not familiar with this stuff. They can give me a call at Polaris of Gainesville.
[386-418-4244]I will be more then happy to walk them through it.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Sure would be nice if you said what you rode, and not just the mods it has.
If it is a 08 or later. You will always have some pops with your set up, and the best you can do is to minimize them
This is an interesting comment. When you say "with your set up", do you mean his particular set up on his bike or do you mean a stock set up on any 08 or later?
I ask because I was surprised that my stock 2012 XRLE had the pops and backfires as well and it somewhat surprises me that we have to buy a couple grand worth of performance extras (PC, etc.) in order for our bikes to run at their best.
I had a PCV and stage 1 like pipes (pipes that the dealer/shop builds recommended) put on mine about 2 weeks after buying it. PCV went bad a week later so now I'm running the pipes with no PCV while the PCV has been sent off to be "looked at". Bike now backfires with almost every shift sequense.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
This is an interesting comment. When you say "with your set up", do you mean his particular set up on his bike or do you mean a stock set up on any 08 or later?
I ask because I was surprised that my stock 2012 XRLE had the pops and backfires as well and it somewhat surprises me that we have to buy a couple grand worth of performance extras (PC, etc.) in order for our bikes to run at their best.
I had a PCV and stage 1 like pipes (pipes that the dealer/shop builds recommended) put on mine about 2 weeks after buying it. PCV went bad a week later so now I'm running the pipes with no PCV while the PCV has been sent off to be "looked at". Bike now backfires with almost every shift sequense.
Vic uses the IAC as an air pump and pretty much even a bone stock bike pops. You just can't hear it with the quiet mufflers. Once you start adding louder mufflers. You get louder pops. You do not "need" to add anything to make the bike run well. It does so by design, but if you want to start throwing loud pipes on it. You will have some side effects. It is not just Victory, but EVERY brand of bike these days. At my shop we steer people to either the Vic S1 or D&D mufflers. Both work well with the Vic S1 mapping. Cheap good performing, low pop frequency, and good sounding. No extra complication from controllers needed. Unfortunately everybody and their brothers are addicted to PC soup, and convince others of the need to run them

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i spoke w/ rpw and they highly recommend a lloydz tuner that seems to be a bit less than PC units. would u suggest one over the other? is there any option available 2 me that is not costly and i can do myself w/out relying on a shop i dont trust 100%????
(i hear w/ lloydz u need to reset to stock; mine COULD be stock?????)

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
i spoke w/ rpw and they highly recommend a lloydz tuner that seems to be a bit less than PC units. would u suggest one over the other? is there any option available 2 me that is not costly and i can do myself w/out relying on a shop i dont trust 100%????
(i hear w/ lloydz u need to reset to stock; mine COULD be stock?????)
I prefer the Lloydz myself, but as I said earlier. You will still want an 05 Hammer map as the stock underlying map

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay i will look into getting the hammer map and then adding the lloydz.

would the pc3 work w/ out the hammer map? or would the hammer map remedy most of my problems by itself?

this is really confusing b/c i was under the impression that tuning this bike up would be as easy as my other bikes and so far it is the most complicated!
even my aprilia was simple!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanx

Between the info from You and kevinx i have an idea on where to go w/ this now.

I wonder if there is a way to determine what shops have training on these bikes. I know that the certifications i have for my job are listed on a website detailing what work i am capable of performing according to regulations.... maybe i would find out why i haven't been getting the info i need locally.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts