Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pre owned Victorys are being sold with such low K's ?
Since I have been interested in Victory's, I regularly check on used bikes in the usual places : ebay, gumtree and bikesales. It seems to stand out that many of the bikes for sale have what I would call low kilometers, A sample from Gumtree:

'09 Jackpot 6000 k's
'13 XCT 9000 k's
'13 Boardwalk 2455k's
'13 Judge 15000 k's }
'13 Hammer 15000 k's}
'13 Hammer 4000 k's
'10 Jackpot 6700
'14 Hiball 3000
It seems like under 1000 is a selling point.
Gumtree

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
Yes it seems so, maybe people just buy bikes for show ... And use them for barhopping .... Like some HD riders ? So which one is your favourite ?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Not from there and our culture is quite different.

Here a lot of nice cruiser bikes get bought by people that are new riders but older. They look pretty good and perform pretty good. They get advertised as a kind of pill that will make you happy if you buy it. When your young and fit you generally can't afford them. When your stuck at the desk or bench you think, someday when the kids are gone I'm going to get one of those. Then one day the kids leave, you have some extra money finally and you go buy the bike ou want. Something way to big to learn on comfortably, like a Victory.

Then the truth sets in. Motorcycling is pretty uncomfortable. You can't develop the muscles to ride with by doing anything other than riding and it is uncomfortable at first to take long rides. Most people buy the bike fail to take the proper courses to actually learn to ride, and soon become acutely aware of how vulnerable a motorcyclist really is in a world where he is pretty much the fly on the windscreen it he makes a mistake. So now they are uncomfortable as well as stressed.

Then they don't buy the right equipment because it too is really expensive.
For instance buying a bike at 55 yrs old without a windshield isn't a good idea if you decide to ride much unless you are a part time yoga instructor. You'll most likely have back issues within a couple of years. Most doctors can't figure it out here at least. Unless they have older friends that ride it never occurs to a lot of folks that the root cause is sitting still with the wind bearing down on you causing your back muscles to get very strong but very short. Some end up thinking that their body just won't cooperate and begin to ride less and watch TV more. The bike spends more time parked.

Many after buying the bike finding out that you need to spend a couple more $1000 dollars for gear to ride it comfortably. For them that is a real turn off.
So they choose to skimp on gear. They are uncomfortable when they drive. Too hot, too cold, too vulnerable.

Also Victory accessories are expensive. They are very proud of their stuff and not a lot of companies make accessories that will fit the bikes. No competition means higher prices. It is a marketing choice on Victories part. But it is a reality that anyone considering one needs to be aware of.

As they accumulate all this knowledge from experience some of these late to riding folks decide that what they really wanted was what they saw in all those commercials on TV. You buy the bike, your life gets much better, you ride into the sunset with an ear to ear grin. But that commercial is about as realistic as you buy the Lexus and the slinky super model climbs into the passenger side and the two of you, well you know. The bike gets less and less use till they finally wake up to the fact that every year that it sits in the garage they loose more money on it.

Sucks for them but it works out pretty good for those looking for used bikes.

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Pre owned Victorys are being sold with such low K's ?
Since I have been interested in Victory's, I regularly check on used bikes in the usual places : ebay, gumtree and bikesales. It seems to stand out that many of the bikes for sale have what I would call low kilometers, A sample from Gumtree:

'09 Jackpot 6000 k's
'13 XCT 9000 k's
'13 Boardwald 2455k's
'13 Judge 15000 k's }
'13 Hammer 15000 k's}
'13 Hammer 4000 k's
'10 Jackpot 6700
'14 Hiball 3000
It seems like under 1000 is a selling point.
Gumtree
Maybe they're owned by softcocks, my Vegas got 96,000kms on it now and 82,000 of em are mine , in the last 26 months.

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
We've discussed this before there are motorcycles owners and there are motorcycle riders.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Besides some of the other explanations, consider that over the last few years money has been tight. Many of the bikes don't sell in their first year and are left on the showroom floor. My 2011 KP was purchased new in the summer of 2013. Some of the bikes you list may have only been on the road one season.

The money factor has been hitting most of the manufacturers and hitting hardest in the larger bike market. Had you been interested in a two year old Stratoliner or Nomad you probably would have noted the same scenario.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Have you ever bought your Wife or significant other a diamond ring? Why? Because it looks pretty, it made you happy, and it might have gotten you laid because it made her happy. Right? Some people look at motorcycles like diamond rings, they're an accessory, they look pretty and they think it might get them laid. When I see nice motorcycles with really low mileage I call them "ass jewelry" motorcycles. They were bought as an accessory and I can't whine, I've owned some of them, all second hand, all in awesome shape and all at a great price. Ass jewelry motorcycles give us serious riders a chance to experience motorcycles we might not otherwise been able to afford.

Choppers in their day and now the chromed out lowered baggers than drag if you corner at any speed above an escaping fart are the perfect example of ass jewelry. Lots of look at me paint and shiny chrome, you can spot the owners in the parking lot polishing away after that massive 20 mile ride. I love parking my bug ridden, water spotted, dirty motorcycle right next to them and walking away while they disdainfully dismiss my ride. I'm fine with that, I, like you all reading this know what motorcycles are really about, it's a Brotherhood and my chosen way of life. I ride and therefore I am or will be soon. No matter how bad a day it's been a ride clears the mind. Bad weather or hot or cold is mind over matter, you don't mind it don't matter, it's just another obstacle to overcome. We have plenty of those don't we? Tweeting teenagers, mindless millennials and distracted driver's all driving 2 ton missiles squarely aimed at us. Hit the chaff Maverick and let's turn and burn, it's a war out there kids so let's all be careful out there.

I need everyone to understand that paint and chrome isn't a bad thing before someone strokes out. In the days of cookie cutter motorcycles we need to make it our very own. Hell, if you have a black Street Glide parked at a rally you'd better have GPS coordinates of your motorcycle because there's a zillion of them there so good luck finding it unless like a penguin you can sniff yours out. That's why there's more companies making cool stuff for motorcycles than you can shake a ratchet wrench at. Face it, the motorcycle manufacturers are not gonna offer any color you want unless you order from their "custom" department and as much as my oldest Son has pissed me off I'm not gonna sell him into indentured servitude so I can have any color motorcycle. I have a paint gun and I'm not afraid to use it. The point I'm taking the long way in making is that I don't care what color it is or if it's shiny enough to be seen from another planet with the naked eye, ride the damn thing!

Modern motorcycles are wonderful creations. They are as dependable as a stone hammer and almost more fun than a get anything you want free card from the local brothel. Sure we wear out tires, and put gas and oil in them but like a good woman you gotta maintain them in the style they're accustomed to. Take care of it, you're trusting it with your life. I choose to live in a climate that is conducive to year round motorcycle bliss. I've been offered a lot of money in a promotion to move to a lesser climate and I'm still here. If I'm not with my family, I'm happiest on a motorcycle and let me promise you this; there will be no low mileage motorcycles in my garage.

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
I've owned mine since 7/11/15 just turned 12,645 miles (20350 Kilometers) that's more miles than a lot of 10 year old bikes out there.

1800 miles a month and counting.

My truck sits on a battery tender not my motorcycle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Have you ever bought your Wife or significant other a diamond ring? Why? Because it looks pretty, it made you happy, and it might have gotten you laid because it made her happy. Right? Some people look at motorcycles like diamond rings, they're an accessory, they look pretty and they think it might get them laid. When I see nice motorcycles with really low mileage I call them "ass jewelry" motorcycles. They were bought as an accessory and I can't whine, I've owned some of them, all second hand, all in awesome shape and all at a great price. Ass jewelry motorcycles give us serious riders a chance to experience motorcycles we might not otherwise been able to afford.

Choppers in their day and now the chromed out lowered baggers than drag if you corner at any speed above an escaping fart are the perfect example of ass jewelry. Lots of look at me paint and shiny chrome, you can spot the owners in the parking lot polishing away after that massive 20 mile ride. I love parking my bug ridden, water spotted, dirty motorcycle right next to them and walking away while they disdainfully dismiss my ride. I'm fine with that, I, like you all reading this know what motorcycles are really about, it's a Brotherhood and my chosen way of life. I ride and therefore I am or will be soon. No matter how bad a day it's been a ride clears the mind. Bad weather or hot or cold is mind over matter, you don't mind it don't matter, it's just another obstacle to overcome. We have plenty of those don't we? Tweeting teenagers, mindless millennials and distracted driver's all driving 2 ton missiles squarely aimed at us. Hit the chaff Maverick and let's turn and burn, it's a war out there kids so let's all be careful out there.

I need everyone to understand that paint and chrome isn't a bad thing before someone strokes out. In the days of cookie cutter motorcycles we need to make it our very own. Hell, if you have a black Street Glide parked at a rally you'd better have GPS coordinates of your motorcycle because there's a zillion of them there so good luck finding it unless like a penguin you can sniff yours out. That's why there's more companies making cool stuff for motorcycles than you can shake a ratchet wrench at. Face it, the motorcycle manufacturers are not gonna offer any color you want unless you order from their "custom" department and as much as my oldest Son has pissed me off I'm not gonna sell him into indentured servitude so I can have any color motorcycle. I have a paint gun and I'm not afraid to use it. The point I'm taking the long way in making is that I don't care what color it is or if it's shiny enough to be seen from another planet with the naked eye, ride the damn thing!

Modern motorcycles are wonderful creations. They are as dependable as a stone hammer and almost more fun than a get anything you want free card from the local brothel. Sure we wear out tires, and put gas and oil in them but like a good woman you gotta maintain them in the style they're accustomed to. Take care of it, you're trusting it with your life. I choose to live in a climate that is conducive to year round motorcycle bliss. I've been offered a lot of money in a promotion to move to a lesser climate and I'm still here. If I'm not with my family, I'm happiest on a motorcycle and let me promise you this; there will be no low mileage motorcycles in my garage.

Well said! I agree, I buy my bikes to ride not to polish and look at!
Toby

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it seems so, maybe people just buy bikes for show ... And use them for barhopping .... Like some HD riders ? So which one is your favourite ?
My fav is the XCT. It will be my touring bike. I'm waiting for the $$'s to come through from my insurance.

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
My fav is the XCT. It will be my touring bike. I'm waiting for the $$'s to come through from my insurance.
Good choice mate ... Keep the posts and picture coming when you get your bike

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
welcome to the forum Lorne, what part of OZ are you living mate?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts