Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine in AZ has a son who is a test rider for Polaris. He spends five days a week test riding Victory's and Indian bikes for the company and he was a big help when I first got the bike.

At one point in time he warned me to be aware that all of the gas in that tank is not usable. I forgot what he told me the usable fuel quantity was and I'm just wondering if anybody has ever inadvertently run one out of fuel. For those of you tempted to say that you've never run a bike out of fuel I suggest that you haven't ridden long enough.;)

·
13,003 Posts
No one does it on purpose and besides you could burn up your fuel pump and there not cheap.
Why would you even ask this fullish question

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that you misunderstood my question. I'm not advocating running out of fuel, I'm asking if the usable amount of fuel is really what the tank capacity is?

I believe that the tank capacity of the XC is 5.8 gallons, it would be nice to know if the usable amount is only 5 gallons wouldn't it? Given that the fuel gauges and computers on Victory are basically decorations that take up space on the dash board it would be nice to know using actual fuel mileage data what the usable range is. Keep in mind that I live in Wyoming and that fuel may or may not be available every few miles, there are more than a few places in the state where availability is stretched out to more than a hundred miles and even then you may only be able to get unbranded regular.

I stand by my question and don't regard it as fullish or even foolish. $#@& Auto Correct!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Trying to learn is never foolish.

My understanding from a Victory Master Tech is that you can use all 5.8 gallons but it is not recommended since the fuel also keeps the submerged fuel pump cooled. He also said he has nevertheless seen a fuel pump that he could say burned up because of running with low fuel. He's seen some he suspected though. No I can't tell you what made him suspect the low fuel. Maybe one of the mechs around will share their experience.i

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Close

Yes I have ran mine low. Never ran it out completely. But remember even in your modern automobiles they do NOT recommend running the fuel very low or out, because the fuel helps cool the electric fuel pump. I have ran mine down to were the fuel light comes on and reads empty with the gauge or LED is flashing, I have the CrossRoads it has a LED fuel gauge. Does the CrossCountry have an actual analog fuel gauge I do not remember? I see the tank inner liner coming off somewhat were I put the fuel nozzle in, so it does concen me that the pick up screen may clog up. Fuel screen is recommended to be changed at 30K so I am going to try and do it, maybe save myself from having to replace or rebuild the pump.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, running around town with the fuel light on for three or four days is a bad idea. Besides that obnoxious thing drives me crazy so when it comes on I fuel up. What I'm referring to is out on the road being able to calculated my range and extend my fuel stops like running from Cody to Denver (500 miles) with only one fuel stop would be nice.

·
13,003 Posts
I get 45 mpg and yesterday when I filled up speed-o said I have the range of 269 miles. So doing the math its off by 1 gallon.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I probably should have phrased the question as: What's the most fuel you've ever taken at a fill up?

Sometimes my mind has a hard time keeping up with my ideas.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yes I have ran mine low. Never ran it out completely. But remember even in your modern automobiles they do NOT recommend running the fuel very low or out, because the fuel helps cool the electric fuel pump. I have ran mine down to were the fuel light comes on and reads empty with the gauge or LED is flashing, I have the CrossRoads it has a LED fuel gauge. Does the CrossCountry have an actual analog fuel gauge I do not remember? I see the tank inner liner coming off somewhat were I put the fuel nozzle in, so it does concen me that the pick up screen may clog up. Fuel screen is recommended to be changed at 30K so I am going to try and do it, maybe save myself from having to replace or rebuild the pump.
I also had the tank internal coating coming off on my 2010 XC. I reported it to the dealer I purchased the bike from on the 500 mile check. He said there was nothing to be concerned about. At 12000 miles the bike started to run bad and I thought I would not get back from the trip I was on. I nursed it back to the same dealer and after a $200.00 charge they changed the fuel filter that was full of the same red coating that was the coating in the tank. I didn't argue and just paid the bill. Two weeks ago the bike quit and would not start. I was close to another Vic dealer (not the one I purchased it from) I walked down and they sent a trailer to pick up my bike. The service manager informed me the next day that the fuel pump was not working. I told him about the previous problem, he talked to Victory and they are replacing the fuel pump and the fuel tank at no charge to me. Great dealer and Vic service. If I were you I would make a claim on your tank coating so the same thing doesn't happen to you. I am going to look for some kind of a plastic sleeve or small filter to use when I fuel he bike to avoid the problem. My Suzuki doesn't have any apparent coating in the tank, I wonder why Vic uses one?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ethanol is a great water magnet. It will hold moisture and in turn the O2 present in gasoline will corrode the steel of the tank. Older vehicles designed to run on REAL gasoline didn't have the tank corrosion issues using non ethanol fuels. Thank the government for messing with a formula that worked even without lead.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Yes, I ran mine out of fuel

I DID run my XC out of fuel about a year and a half into owning it. No damage what-so-ever but I don't recall the volume of fuel it took after running out. In my case, I was actually in a parking lot adjacent to the gas station (at a restaurant that has bike nights once a week, Twin Peaks). I did not run out during one of the bike nights but rather on a Thursday while at lunch. I simply walked next door and bought one of those (relatively) cheap 1 gallon plastic gad cans, put about 3/4s a gallon in it and then walked over to the bike and dumped it in. Cranked it up and rode over to the gas station and filled up. Unfortunately I do not recall the total volume and yes, I was CERTAIN it was BONE DRY as I tried to crank it numerous times after lunch with no luck and I could not "hear" any fuel sloshing around when it would not crank.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I guess the only way to know for sure is get a 1gallon can, put in a saddlebag and run it till it quits. You may not know how much it holds to the 1/10th gallon, but you'll know exactly how far your bike will go on a tank.

·
Registered
784 Posts
5.1 gallons and some change. Yes I was pushing it and stopped as soon as I found a place, should have fueled earlier but things happen. I understand the question, but question it.
Do you regularly press your luck, or just for the info file perhaps for later use.
Modern electric fuel pumps seem a bit testy to being run dry, so right or theoretically, he is probably still right. They use fuel to keep them at operating temps. Not saying it "will" ruin it, but the possibility is there. Victory's are a bit frail in the electrical department IMHO.
Gas up when the light comes on or when you have it long enough to be sure you are still OK. I get enough swings in mileage, it gets filled at or before the 200 mile mark, FWIW.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I have run my Kingpin out twice. It starts howling when it starts sucking air. I know I have put in 4.3 gallons in it at least one of those times.
I haven't run out of gas in my Cross Roads, but just last week I almost did. I put in 5.5 and change in it. I try not to run that low. I usually fill the CR up at about 200 miles. The Kingpin, I try to fill up about 120.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Lostintexas,

I'm just inquiring for informational purposes. Like I said above one of the Polaris test riders told me not to take for granted the usable fuel in the 5.8 gallon tanks and I was just curious if it was true on the production bikes as well as the test bikes. A number of the test bikes are ramped up to stupid horsepower for failure testing.

By the way, East Texas is one of my favorite places to ride as long as it's winter time.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have run my Kingpin out twice. It starts howling when it starts sucking air. I know I have put in 4.3 gallons in it at least one of those times.
I haven't run out of gas in my Cross Roads, but just last week I almost did. I put in 5.5 and change in it. I try not to run that low. I usually fill the CR up at about 200 miles. The Kingpin, I try to fill up about 120.
I ran my Kingpin out once, well it was actually still running but I shut it down and had my wife bring me a gallon of gas. Luckily I was close to home. It took 4.5 gallons to fill it, so the last .5 gallons was not usable.

Your right it made an awful racket when it got low.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
The XCT holds 5.8 useable. Millage can vary by 10 mpg depending how much of a Wildman you have been. I'll go up to 30 miles after the light comes on. Beyond that you're taking your chances.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
1) My longest run on my '12 XCT was 225 miles. I forget the amount -- this was almost two years ago -- but I'm pretty sure it was 5.3 or 5.4 gallons. This was a long interstate-highway run, one-up, KlockWerks Flare windshield (don't think anyone could get that range with the barn door that comes stock on an XCT, doing the low 70s MPH).

2) I ran out once, on another multi-day highway trip, last year. I don't know how much gas it took, because I had to use my AMA roadside assistance. Guy in a tow-truck came, with a jug o' gas, and poured a bunch in. I went through the routine in the owner's manual to prime the pump, fired it up, and everything was OK after that (except my pride).

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I ran my Kingpin out once, well it was actually still running but I shut it down and had my wife bring me a gallon of gas. Luckily I was close to home. It took 4.5 gallons to fill it, so the last .5 gallons was not usable.

Your right it made an awful racket when it got low.
You were completely out of gas if you put 4.5 back in. I believe the Kingpin only holds 4.5 gallons, not 5.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Don't know about the victory's specifically but in my experience it's not possible to run a FI bike completely empty. The level of fuel remaining after the pump no longer sucks anything up varies by model/brand but it's typically very small (4 oz or so seems to be about average) With a capacity of 5.8 gallons, I'd suspect that 5.7 is probably usable and the last .1 stays in the tank. My experience is based on draining tanks prior to removing them from a variety of bikes i've worked on over the years. I usually just jumper the fuel pump relay and let it do the work draining the gas out for me. Those that I have needed to remove the pump from have always had some left in them but as I say, minimal quantities. Enough to make a mess but not enough to significantly affect your riding range.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts