Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a letter/promotional thing from Polaris yesterday. They want me to trade my bike in on a 2016 model and they even gave me a value for my bike. It was kind of low IMO at $5,995. I know these bikes don't hold their value that well but damn! Actually kind of turns me off from wanting to buy from Polaris again. The MSRP on my XR was $17,300 so that is 65% depreciation in 5 years. I know this is a trade in value and I know bikes depreciate but the mailing to me was just strange. Hell, I sold my used 2006 Suzuki M50 with 20K miles when it was 6 years old for $3,500. That bike cost $6,500 when it was new.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Keeping mine so it's not a problem, I've decimated the value of my bike to others by actually riding it lots, racking up plenty of miles, it's now got more miles than any of the 134 Victorys for sale on bikesales.com
Seeing as how I'm keeping it I'm gonna throw some more money into it soon..:smile

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I did not get that Victory mailing yet, but did get two from HD since last weekends demo rides.....lol
When I was going to get rid of my XC earlier this year......the dealers were in the $9000 neighborhood as a trade-in value. I thought it was stealing from me and as it turned out this worked out to my benefit, since I kept the XC and am now back to being happy with it.

Reactions: johneswank

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
The market is so saturated with no mile bikes that resale in the used market is gone.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
The market is so saturated with no mile bikes that resale in the used market is gone.
You're not wrong Vin!....there's a new breed of bikers coming up through the ranks...ones that don't ride much.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Got it. Why would I get rid of it though? It's taken me almost 2 years to get my XC the way I want it and I'm STILL not done, nor will I ever be:wink

I've got to say the Victory Cross Country has been one of my favorite bikes to ride. It's not the fastest I've ever owned or the best handler but as an all around do it all street only bike except for a BMW R1150GSA it's my favorite bike. The Beemer edges it slightly only because it was awesome on the dirt fire roads (which I have ridden the XC on..hard packed only) and desert roads here. The big Vic has it hands down for wind protection and comfort.

Safe to say, I love my Spike the Roller Derby Queen. That's my XC's name, it's from an obscure Jim Croce song. I name all my motorcycles feminine names (I'm not riding a guy, nothing wrong with it ya know, it's a tradition for me :wink) and there's nothing "pretty" about a Titanium Suede paint scheme so it was a struggle to come up with a name that fits until I remembered the song.

Give it a listen here: https://youtu.be/m7kVR6v8_B4

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
You're not wrong Vin!....there's a new breed of bikers coming up through the ranks...ones that don't ride much.
Motorcycle owners not motorcycle riders.
You both are spot on...those people don't buy motorcycles. When they buy motorcycles I call it "Ass Jewelry". :devil

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
When I bought my new 2004 Softail Standard the sales guy said people would have their new bike picked up on a flat bed because they didn't even have the motorcycle endorsement on their license. I think 2004 was the peak of the motorcycle fad.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I got that letter yesterday, they offered 11999 for mine. Its a 2014 XC, but since mine is heavy on miles compared to whats out there I don't think I could even get that, but its not for sale LOL! I tell my HD buddies all the time I bought my bike to ride it, not resell it.

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
I got that letter yesterday, they offered 11999 for mine. Its a 2014 XC, but since mine is heavy on miles compared to whats out there I don't think I could even get that, but its not for sale LOL! I tell my HD buddies all the time I bought my bike to ride it, not resell it.
I just did a craigslist search seems it's not just the H/D guys but all makes and models of street bikes. Want a new bike buy a used one..:|

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yup. It's a corporate marketing thing. They need to cover their rears since it puts the dealer in a bind if they say something like $10K and the dealer can only make money if they offer $8K. You'd most likely get even more. I have an XR as well that I bought five years ago and my number was the same. But they likely just assume base XR and average miles, then play it safe. Chances are, the actual dealer would give you more.

As for the M50 for $3500, most bikes have kind of a floor for price when they're in good shape. Small bikes are about $1500-2500, mid size about $2500-4000 and large ones about $4K+. This considering they're in good shape, less than 20 years old and run fine with no issue. Bought my wife's '06 Vulcan 900 in '07 for $4500. Just sold it last night for $3300. Had a few accessories, but nothing extravagant.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
When I bought my new 2004 Softail Standard the sales guy said people would have their new bike picked up on a flat bed because they didn't even have the motorcycle endorsement on their license. I think 2004 was the peak of the motorcycle fad.
That still happens, someone comes in and buys a bike and has their buddy ride if off the lot, or gets put in the back of a truck, or they walk it down the sidewalk till they are off property and then take off on it, trust me...we have tons of stories like that, FYI I would not suggest that you buy a new bike in the middle of winter WITH snow and ice on the pavement and wanna 'Take it for a spin' in said conditions.....does not end cheap.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My offer was almost $11k, kind of sad but not trading mine in. It did make my wife angry when she saw it, "your bike better be worth more than that", I assured her that it is and I'm not interested in selling it.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Always makes me wonder why do they spend the money ? There is a guy at work that has a 2013 bike. He has 1500 miles on it. Hell I did that the week after i got my bike. Now my 2013 Silverado has 18,000 miles on it because I ride my bike to work everyday.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
This is unbelievably great news.

Just think, $5000 for the bike to trade in on a new one worth $23,000 means I'll be on the hook for an $18K difference. Fantastic!!

I can now easily explain to the wife that by spending more on my existing bike I'm actually saving us money.

Thank you Victory.

·
13,262 Posts
If Victory gets off there lazy ass and upgrades the speed-o and say saddle bag latches and maybe motor upgrades our bike just lost more value.
It always what they have is gold and our is junk

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Yep; got the same letter. Was kinda surprised and the trade in price was very low at $7,xxx. I'm keeping both of mine. Can't think of a single reason to part with either one. Might add an Indian at some point though. :D
Not that I'm in the game but....what are they offering for a 2010 Vegas 100/6
with 61K miles on the clock..... ?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
You both are spot on...those people don't buy motorcycles. When they buy motorcycles I call it "Ass Jewelry". :devil
Have a friend I use to work with. Had a saying for all the old farts he knew that bought Corvettes and Harleys and then just parked them and drove on weekends and holidays. "dick extensions"

I quit buying things based on "resale". It never worked out for me, I dont trade every 2 years or so and I dont buy new. Looked at a HD probably 10yr back now. Got this whole "HD resale is higher" spheal I told him their resale is the only thing that was higher, the bike I was looking at could be found at a Non-Hd dealer for $1000-1500 less. He sort of acted like he was stripping gears. LOL
I have not got an offer, but then again I didnt buy mine from a Vic dealer neither.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts