Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have the opportunity to pick up a very low mileage 03 TC. I would certainly appreciate any input on this bike from those that have ridden or owned one.
I put 750-1,000 miles a week on a bike, so I need reliability, good handling and decent gas mileage.
90% of my riding is interstate at 70-75 mph. I have not had the opportunity to ride this bike yet, because it is located 3 hours away. I am going to ride it tomorrow.
If there are any known issues with this model, I sure would like to know ahead of time. Not much to be found with search feature.
Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had a 05, no problems with it. Regular maint. as usual. Also had a 05 Kingpin, same 92 inch motor trans etc. We had it for 55k or so, wife road it to work daily, no problems, great bike. Mpg was about 40 or so, sometimes better depending on fuel quality.

Just be sure you check it over good prior to purchase--pull plugs and inspect, look at belt, examine oil, fork seals, sniff fuel-might be old and stale, all that sort of stuff. Hopefully the seller has service records.

They do have a habit of going thru rear brake pads 4-5k at best. Just replace them with EBC or Lyndall pads, problem solved. The Vic factory pads were Crap-period.

I enjoyed mine, had a stage one kit, would not hesitate to go cross country at the drop of a dime..both were very reliable. Wife rode hers on extended trips-5-6k several times.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
154 Posts
One other thing- I have some stuff left over from mine, Mustang seat w/backrest and other things. Let me know if interested.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
No known issues with the 03 aside from age and the typical maintenance issues associated with an 8 year old bike.

Shuffles pretty much laid out what you need to check.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One other thing- I have some stuff left over from mine, Mustang seat w/backrest and other things. Let me know if interested.
I really appreciate it. This one actually has mustang seats with the sissy bar.
Thanks for the advice, I will certainly check all the things mentioned and will go ahead and change out the brakes if I get it.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I rode an 03TC about 2200 miles per month for almost 3 tears straight. Rain or sahine, and it never let out a wimper. I sold it at almost 80,000 miles, and last I saw it she had reached 130,000.

If you use Vic TC pads, and not the soft Vegas pads; they are good for 20,000. Aftermarket pads all make to much noise for me.

Go for it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rode an 03TC about 2200 miles per month for almost 3 tears straight. Rain or sahine, and it never let out a wimper. I sold it at almost 80,000 miles, and last I saw it she had reached 130,000.

If you use Vic TC pads, and not the soft Vegas pads; they are good for 20,000. Aftermarket pads all make to much noise for me.

Go for it
That's exactly what I'm looking for. How did yours handle? Top heavy? Was there a lot of vibration?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
That's exactly what I'm looking for. How did yours handle? Top heavy? Was there a lot of vibration?
A bit heavy in parking lot situations, but not as bad as a VTX 1800.
Vibration like all vics was pretty minimal. Just enough to let you know you are riding a motorcycle.

Handling is very good in general. Real high speed sweepers may give a little wobble if you do not maintain your shock ball ends

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A bit heavy in parking lot situations, but not as bad as a VTX 1800.
Vibration like all vics was pretty minimal. Just enough to let you know you are riding a motorcycle.

Handling is very good in general. Real high speed sweepers may give a little wobble if you do not maintain your shock ball ends
That's good to know. I'm old enough now that I don't do any real HIGH speed sweepers.
I like that there is minimal vibration. My VStar at 75mph is like riding on the tip of a metal engraver.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a 05TC and it has been a great bike. recently replaced the rear tire and rear brake pads at 10K. The Mustang seat is comfortable on long and short rides. I really have enjoyed the bike so far. The previous owner really took good care of it. It had about 6K when I bought it. really only needed plugs and oil changes aside from the tire and brakes . Good luck hope you get it. Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 05TC and it has been a great bike. recently replaced the rear tire and rear brake pads at 10K. The Mustang seat is comfortable on long and short rides. I really have enjoyed the bike so far. The previous owner really took good care of it. It had about 6K when I bought it. really only needed plugs and oil changes aside from the tire and brakes . Good luck hope you get it. Mike
Thanks for the intel. I feel better about driving 3 hours to see it now. It's funny, I've been test riding bikes since November and have ridden just about everything from harleys to hondas but not a TC.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I rode the 03 TC today and agreed to buy it. The gentleman was in the process of moving and didn't have the title on hand so I will pick it up when he gets the title this weekend.
It certainly did drive well, but very different than what I'm used too. I think I turned into the first curve I came to about 3 times. Took it to an empty parking lot to do figure eights and had to rev it and drag the rear brake just to do slow speed maneuvers. (is this normal?)
I tried to just let it idle through the figure eights and slow turns but, all it wanted to do is chug and lurch.
It also had a much higher COG than my yamaha and it felt as if the steering was firmer.
All in all it was a very nice bike, it's just different and I will get used to it. I know when I first went from crotch rockets to a cruiser it was very awkward also.:D

Looks like I'm gonna become a Victory man and looking forward to it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey glad to hear your giving the TC a try . It is a heavy bike so to rev and drag the rear brake to do figure 8's is OK. You will get the feel of the bike I hope you enjoy it
Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
My brakes pads wear great, just using the stock ones for it. I think the low speed fueling could be a bit better, but it is better then my
'99 was, as is the shifting. (I do wish THAT were better) I think they handle well, if a bit heavy. You'll get used to it quickly though. I have an '02, with 81,000 miles on it, and it's a 104 for the past 23,000.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know I'm going to need tires very soon on this one. Is there a particular brand and model that is preferred on these bikes, besides the stock tires?
I know that on my Yamaha the Pirelli MT66 tires made a phenomenal difference in the handling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an '04 TC

I have an '04 V92TC with just over 40K miles. I have not had any issue, even with stock brake pads. Still have the original front pads, changed the rear at 35K, but still had over half the pad thickness left. Have a Wide Open Customs fairing and Mustang seat with riders backrest. Also, have the Fuel mangement system II from Lloyd's along with Stage 1 exhaust and K&N filter and vented air filter cover. I also ride an '09 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, but the Vic out handles it and will run circles around it. If you can get what you think is a great deal, and the bike looks like you think it should, go for it. and Ride Safe!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need to finde a working speedo 99 v92c

HI THERE NEW TO THE FORUM JUST GOT A 99 V92 AND THE MILLS AND OD DONT WORK. THE TACK AND SPEEDO STILL DO. DEALER SEAD IM OUT OF LUCK THEY ARE NO LONGER MADE. DOSE ENEY ONE KNOW IF I CAN YOUSE A 2000 OR 01 V92CT SPEEDO. WOULD REALEY LIKE THE KNOW MY MILLEGE FOR OIL CHANGES AND FOR GP.
THANK YOU .:confused::soapbox:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know I'm going to need tires very soon on this one. Is there a particular brand and model that is preferred on these bikes, besides the stock tires?
I know that on my Yamaha the Pirelli MT66 tires made a phenomenal difference in the handling.
I switched to Metzeler 880's, and love them. Wear great, and to me, feel like they quicken up the handling. (could be my imagination)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts