Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and three buddies are looking to travel Boston to Key West. For the sake of time we want to use the Auto Train from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL. Amtrak's description says the maximum wheelbase is 51 inches. I don't know of any bike that has a wheelbase this short.

The four bikes are my Vic XC, a GoldWing, a Stratoliner and a Shadow. All have wheelbases >= 65". I think it is a misprint on Amtrak's website.

Anybody every put their Victory or any other bike for that matter on the Auto Train? I have emailed Amtrak for clarification but have not heard back yet.

Thanks,
steviej

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Was shootin the breeze with a Goldwinger from the local GWRRA a couple weeks ago and said he had used it from Florida to VA due to a health issue that arose and had no problems. Took all the pressure off of the problems they encountered down there. Hope that helps a little...

Tim

·
Registered
851 Posts
According to Amtrak's website the wheel base is 102 inches. Maximum width of the motorcycle is 51 inches.

Motorcycle

Check-In
2 pm

102 inches in length from front to rear tire edges.

- Maximum width: 51 inches.
- Maximum height: 72 inches to top of handlebars/windshield.
- Ground clearance: at least 5 inches.
- Tire maximum: 7 inches wide, 2 1/2 inches deep.
Standard factory-model two-wheel motorcycles, sidecars and trikes (three-wheeled vehicles) and some choppers can be accepted.

Exceptions to these measurements may be loaded with a passenger-signed damage waiver.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I have my Goldwing on it three times and even brought my trailer. Its very easy loading and unloading . When I get home I'll post a picture of what the bikes look like on there trailers. Both trips we have had a Goldwing , Honda vfr , Yamaha fjr and a V strom all with no issues.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I wish they had something like this from Minneapolis to Phoenix. That would be awesome for my seasonal transitions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Me and three buddies are looking to travel Boston to Key West. For the sake of time we want to use the Auto Train from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL. Amtrak's description says the maximum wheelbase is 51 inches. I don't know of any bike that has a wheelbase this short.

The four bikes are my Vic XC, a GoldWing, a Stratoliner and a Shadow. All have wheelbases >= 65". I think it is a misprint on Amtrak's website.

Anybody every put their Victory or any other bike for that matter on the Auto Train? I have emailed Amtrak for clarification but have not heard back yet.

Thanks,
steviej
I have a buddy that goes down yearly and he will either trailer or Auto Train it. Doesnt have any problems with the train and he rides a Vic.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to Amtrak's website the wheel base is 102 inches. Maximum width of the motorcycle is 51 inches.
That is what I thought, that they meant width.

This is what I was looking at on Amtrak's website here

"Standard factory-model two-wheel motorcycles, sidecars and trikes (three-wheeled vehicles) and some choppers. Maximum length: 102 inches from front to rear tire edges. Maximum tire wheelbase: 51 inches. Maximum height: 72 inches to top of handlebars/windshield. Ground clearance: at least 5 inches. Tire maximum: 7 inches wide, 2 1/2 inches deep. Check-in is required by 2:00 pm."

Thank you for all your replies, this is very helpful.

steviej

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
A few pictures so you get the idea of how the bikes are tied down, this was when I owned a Goldwing and the trailer was mine also. the bikes stay clean on the train just a little dusty. The Am Track crew is very good at securing the bike and once your happy with the way they are tied down you then sign the papers and off they go, all the trailer are hooked together and pulled into the train by a small tractor , once at the other end it can take anywhere from 30 minute to a hour for them to come off the train ,just depending on the order they went in . Once off the train it only take a few minutes for them to untie them and your on your way. Hope tis helps.

DSC01091.jpg

DSC01092.jpg

DSC01093.jpg

DSC01095.jpg

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
DentDave,
I see the pic with the GoldWing trailer and the bike next to it that appears to have a rear tire over 7" wide, if so, is the 7" tire restriction only for the front tire? :confused:
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
That was my friends Larry bike , he as a car tire on his bike. My Goldwing had one it also , I don't know the size of his but mine was a 195/55/16 which just so happens to be the same size I have on my Victory , they both fit without any issues. That track that the tires go in are the same with all the way. I don't think any bike or trike would have any issues with that set up .

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah. I found some video clips on You Tube as well that made the process clearer for me to understand. Looks cool. I hear the food is pretty decent as well.

steviej

1 - 13 of 13 Posts