Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put hard lowers on last Fall, and I love the wind management. Now that it is hot out, I have the downside... I have read everything I can about heat management, and have tired all of the them, except removing the cats. I don't have that much of an issue riding solo (with the lower vents partially open), but I went for a ride with my wife over the weekend and she was MISERABLE. She said it felt like her skin was melting! I can remove the lowers, but then have the buffeting issue (don't want to go back to the Madstad).
I'm not trying to dabate the pros (less heat) or cons (emission compliance, loss of power), but get insight from those who have removed theirs.
Bottom line, would you do it again?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i never had much issue with heat, i pulled mine, and put them in to keep all the low end tq i could when i added cams. Kevinx just posted a pic of dyno comparisons between two basically identical bikes, one with and one without cats,, the drop in tq was pretty big without. with my tour lowers on and vents shut it stayes cooler then with them open. do you have any mods done, O2s unplugged, tuner,,etc?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Makes me wonder if your getting that much heat. If your running a tad bit lean.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I put hard lowers on last Fall, and I love the wind management. Now that it is hot out, I have the downside... I have read everything I can about heat management, and have tired all of the them, except removing the cats. I don't have that much of an issue riding solo (with the lower vents partially open), but I went for a ride with my wife over the weekend and she was MISERABLE. She said it felt like her skin was melting! I can remove the lowers, but then have the buffeting issue (don't want to go back to the Madstad).
I'm not trying to dabate the pros (less heat) or cons (emission compliance, loss of power), but get insight from those who have removed theirs.
Bottom line, would you do it again?
What makes you think that removing the CATS will make the ENGINE run cooler?
Have you tried to run the bike RICH 'cause you know that will cool the engine, right?
Have you considered having the fins diamond cut 'cause that ALSO cools an engine off (it provides additional surface area).
Finally... remove the lowers (I removed my JTD hard lowers for the summer)

·
Registered
399 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
When we were at Moms dyno days , broggyr was telling me he wished he never removed his cats .... He has an XCT .

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
No Regrets Removing the Cats on my XC .. That was over 50,000 Miles ago ..

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
In your list of modifications in your signature, I didn't see anything related to a fuel controller. You may be running a bit lean which would cause very high temperatures. I was reading a few posts about removing the cats, and now I wish I never had because it feels like I lost some of the low end punch. It seems like the only way to add them back is to buy another crosspipe.

There was someone here who suggested thunder baffles and I wonder how they work

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
No Regrets Removing the Cats on my XC .. That was over 50,000 Miles ago ..
Kinda apples and oranges there. You swapped out for a set of Freedom True Duals. Not removing cats from Factory head pipe. Big difference

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have no regrets and if I've suffered any loss of power, I'm not aware of it. The bike has plenty of power for my needs. Some folks get all "hung up" on power and will do anything just to say they got an extra 5 or 10 hp or tq on a bike that's already got more than ample power for anyone's needs. If you're racing, sure, you want to eak out as much power as you can but for every day riding.... who gives a rats arse if you gain or lose a few?

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
5 or 10 tq can be quite a bit :)

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
so how hard is it un bolt the lowers for the hot months and put them back on when it cools off.
I'm thinking three beers
With the JTDs I didn't even get to "pop the top". Literally 3 screws on each side. About 5 minutes total.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
NO regrets..Im with SilverT I agree 100%.

removing cats wont make engine run cooler because they are down stream of engine,however optimum operating temp is around 850 degrees and they can get up to 2000. So the engine wont run cooler but the area where the cats are housed will be cooler which is right next to oil filter and between your legs. It does make a difference in heat you actually feel in between your legs no doubt. performance difference is to small to me and unnoticeable. I feel way more comfort is more important than chestnuts roasting. I would just make a guess and say any and all Techs would never get caught telling you to remove them for legal reasons so take that for what its worth.

cats gone.
Loyds air filter.
Loyds ATS
no fuel controller--pulled plugs look great.
re done exhaust by flowmaster 2inch baffles wrapped.
unplugged O2s
I get 40 mpgs on average per lie o meter.
I dont get as hot as i did.
I dont backfire much at all once in awhile. inherent in design.

I would love to have cams but my bike runs so good and hardly ever backfires I would be crazy to make a change for just a few horsepower that only serves to wear out my rear tire faster. That happens fast enough as it is. It comes down to conviction and personal preference.

Be safe

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I have no regrets and if I've suffered any loss of power, I'm not aware of it. The bike has plenty of power for my needs. Some folks get all "hung up" on power and will do anything just to say they got an extra 5 or 10 hp or tq on a bike that's already got more than ample power for anyone's needs. If you're racing, sure, you want to eak out as much power as you can but for every day riding.... who gives a rats arse if you gain or lose a few?

the tq thats being lost is everyday use tq, not racing tq, this is what kevin is trying to get at i believe. i put mine back in for this very reason, the dyno he posted, the area of loss is where i ride.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Makes me wonder if your getting that much heat. If your running a tad bit lean.
I had it dyno tuned, and it runs GREAT

What makes you think that removing the CATS will make the ENGINE run cooler?
Have you tried to run the bike RICH 'cause you know that will cool the engine, right?
Have you considered having the fins diamond cut 'cause that ALSO cools an engine off (it provides additional surface area).
Finally... remove the lowers (I removed my JTD hard lowers for the summer)
I never said it will make the engine run cooler. The area that is making the most heat/issue is the right REAR footboard. I don't mind the heat difference.
I don't want to take them off (unless I HAVE to) due to the mentioned buffeting (not wanting to go back to Madstad

Literally this afternoon KevinX posted on his facebook a dyno showing 2 identical bikes one without cats one with and the one without has a big dip in power in the 3000-4500 range.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Southern-Motorworx/1423189224611858?fref=ts
That right there may be the deal breaker :eek:
That is a big dip right in the meat of the powerband

In your list of modifications in your signature, I didn't see anything related to a fuel controller. You may be running a bit lean which would cause very high temperatures. I was reading a few posts about removing the cats, and now I wish I never had because it feels like I lost some of the low end punch. It seems like the only way to add them back is to buy another crosspipe.

There was someone here who suggested thunder baffles and I wonder how they work
PCV in line 3 of my sig...

so how hard is it un bolt the lowers for the hot months and put them back on when it cools off.
I'm thinking three beers
Only would take me 30 minutes to take them off, but as mentioned above and in OP, I like the wind management and lack of buffeting.

the tq thats being lost is everyday use tq, not racing tq, this is what kevin is trying to get at i believe. i put mine back in for this very reason, the dyno he posted, the area of loss is where i ride.
I agree if the TQ is lost around 3K I would definitely notice and miss it.

I was hoping for everyone that has done it to unanimously agree it was the best decision ever (not expecting but hoping :D)
Tough choice even tougher. Probably will hold of for a while.

Basically comes down to loss of torque or loss of wind and weather protection.
Thanks for all the replies!

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
have you left the vents closed all the way? when i had mine open part way it got warmer, closed them and cooled off again

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Leave the cats IN !

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I get asked about this pretty much daily, and that is why I posted this comparison. No it is not the same bike, but both bikes were modded the same, the weather was real close, and the mapping was almost identical. Only had to clean up the bottom; to compensate for the difference in converter change. The chart is representative to what I have found across many, many bikes.
The sag in torque is right where I ride a bike, and 2 lane passing is definitely effected.
As for temp, my infared temp gun shows 30F lower in the area where the cat is. Not huge, but it is there

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts