Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, not interested at all in a brand bashing thread. But I am interested if anyone has gone from an Electra Glide Ultra Classic to a Vic (Vision or XCT) or if anyone has gone from a Vic to the Ultra Classic.

If you made the switch (either way) why?

I know there are alot of wing conversions, I being one of them. But you don't hear much from the other touring circles.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Had an 09 Ultra Classic almost 3 years and 68,000 miles .. Up until around 60,000 Ran Great other than a few minor issues .. After 60K Started Having Problems Mostly in the Primary area but also with TBW which ended up having to replace the ECM due to Fretting of the Contacts .. After it going into Limp Mode in Heavy Traffic that was moving at interstate speeds started looking for another Choice of Ride ... Now ride a 12 XC ... Had heard good things about Victory and thought would give it a shot .. 7500 Mile son it now and quite happy .. Might go to another Brand if started having problems with the Vic and don't get the kind of MoCo Support HD has .. But will never own another TBW Bike ..

·
Registered
325 Posts
Had 8 Batwing FLHTCUxyz's from 1986 - 2004.
My NEW 12 CCT is better than them all as far as technology, handling and motor... No need to change Cams, fuel pacs, etc etc...

Semper Fi,

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
I have an 09 Ultra and the 04 Vegas. Like them both for very different reasons. The Vegas is good for around town and short 1-up 400 or less mile rides and the Ultra is good for 2-up weekend rides. We take off Friday morning and come back Sunday night 1200 miles later.

·
13,263 Posts
I have owned some 20 h-d's several RG's and EG's
found there ok but think the Vision is way better. I have put 8 hours on a RG and didn't want to get back on it. Road a vision same road and all and couldn't wait to get back on.
Tuck the EG for a week trip out east put on 14 thousand miles didn't get back on it for over a month. Tuck the vision out west and did 16 thousand miles and when I wound up at home road it to work the next day.
H-d's 3 different oil holes and a mess Vic one hole one drain plug and you can buy your oil filter from the auto store for $5.99. No Mess.
H-d's have a ton of extras and clothing you can spend your money on. Vic don't have much yet.
If the vision was stolen and my h-d dealer is 200 yards from my Vic dealer I would buy a new Vision for sure.
By the way I stop at the h-d dealer and visit with the parts guys cause there nice guys

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have owned 5 Harleys. Had a 2000 model Ultra and spent a ton making the perfect bike. Then I met Vic. I traded for Kingpin and moving up to a X Roads this weekend. I have been a Harley guy for years and may be again. (ya never say never)

Victory has the design, technology, looks and drivetrain. Harley has the name and reputation. Its about what is most important to you.

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
Not Ultra but 2 EG Standard's. One was very customized. They were good bikes but lacked something the XC has. Definitely more work to keep maintained but overall they were good bikes. They just don't have the power or longevity of the Vic's. With enough money that can be changed though.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting comments. I certainly aint looking at changing to a UC or anything else. I have alot of friends that ride them and they love them. I have never ridden one so can't compare and they have never ridden a Vic so they can't compare either. Granted we could swap for a while and compare, but it sparked the question or thoguth to see who out there had made the switch one way or the other and why. I understand I probably won't get a single reply to anyone that left Vic and went to a HD tour bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not quite what you're asking for but until a few months ago I had a 2010 Road King (new touring frame). That bike's handling was just excellent. The best handling Harley I've ridden.

All the practical benefits of a Victory in themselves make me glad I made the switch. I also like the extra power. The Victory has made me realise how much catching up HD have to do. There's no reason why they couldn't package their bikes the same way but give the customers some technical upgrades at the same time.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If I thought I could get a low enough seat height with some apes, I would have really considered the RK. always liked the windshield-only look with hard bags. Love to see them sledded out with fishtails etc.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
827 Posts
I loved my 2005 Road King.

I love my new 2013 XCT ---MORE-

I have close to 300,000 mile on 3 HD's.
1 - 1977 FXE
1 - 1997 FLHCUI
1 - 2005 FLHRI

My new XCT already has 6000+ miles on it and I only purchased it in late Oct. Snow, rain and work have prevented me from riding as much as a would like to.
The good thing is: nice weather and vacations are coming soon.

My Road King in Manhattan

My XCT on the Oregon Coast.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Had an 04 fatty and this old 90.. I still miss this bike actually. Chromed out and very duo-glide-like retro. There is no Vic equivalent.. My 2nd eBay purchase. Lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I owned and rode a 2010 EG Ultra, when I saw a Road Glide Ultra at the stealer I just had to have it. Now that my 2011 RGU is out of warranty I got nervous and decided to move on. I have a Vision on order and will be trading him my RGU. The EGU and the RGU both have similar issues, I was back at the dealer for warranty work every couple of months for both bikes. I cannot keep going back that often if I need to pay for it out of my own pocket. That forced me to go looking and I found the Victory line. I have really enjoyed the riding on my HDs, but they were just not reliable enough for me. Heck, I just did a 700 miles round trip on my RGU this past weekend.

·
Registered
837 Posts
My Ultra was a 2000 model that took half a day to wash. It had more chrome than a 57 Cadilac.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hawgs are like an old shoe. I'm comfortable with them but except for onelungers been there done that and having a go with Victory means putting the manual in a place of honor on the toilet reading rack so I can read about some stuff I haven't done.

Still, if it weren't for the factory BS and the marketing (Pop is not an 18 to 35 year old non white, indigenous peep , Buddhist, GLBT, female professional, handicapped, Adult Child of an Alcoholic) I might yet be willing to reach into my chain drive wallet with my tattoed arm and dirty fingernails and withdraw a few bucks to buy something from those passionless, facebook androids that hawk that HD snakeoil.

The jury is still out on Victory sales and marketing but the bikes are cool.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I replaced my Road King with a Cross Roads. The RK was a great bike, but I never could get it to fit me just right even after spending lots of money on seats, shocks, handlebars, etc. The Cross Roads fit me much better in stock form. I did get 2" pullback bars and a 1" lowering link and with those simple mods the bike now fits me perfectly. I even love the stock seat which is a first for any bike I've ever owned.

I've only owned the Cross Roads for a month and have about 1600 miles on it, but can definitely tell you that the Cross Roads has smoother power delivery, handles better, brakes better and is a more comfortable bike for me. Now that I've upgraded the exhaust, air filter and added a PCV, the XR is way faster than my stage 1 equipped Road King. The fact that I bought a leftover 2012 XR and saved thousands was just icing on the cake.

·
13,263 Posts
Don't know how much you know about Victory here is 5 short videos that might give you more insight

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Visionjohnny, not sure if the vids were pointed to me, someone else or in general. if for me, I have seen them and they are but one reason I went with Victory.
The main reason i asked the question was simple curiosity. I came from the GL1500/GL1800 world. no eason other than I was looking for a different experience for awhile. There have been many posts from people that have left the GL1800 and their reaosns for doing so. There have also been many comparison threads to the XCT/Vision and the GL1800, and there have been some comments where people have come from the GL world to the Vic world and then went back to the GL world.

Alot of my friends ride HD's specifically the RG and the EG, a good friend just bought a new RG and another just bought a new EG. The new EG is a good looking bike in my opinion and after running with both of them on an 800 mile ride this past weekend they both seemed very pleasedh the 13 HD's. So while we were riding I was wondering to myself how many people might have switched to the Vic from either of these touring HD's and what their reasons were, so I asked. I will say the 103 seemed like a pretty strong engine, beyond that I know nothing about HD's. But I have spent alot of time prior to my Vic purchase last year researching the Vics becasue I need to in order to pull myself away from the GL world.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts